PDA

View Full Version : Citanul: A Clarification

08-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Citanul,

I logged on tonight to sadly find all discussion in my thread had ceased--alas, it had been locked. As you can clearly see my response did arrive 7 months late, yet I fail to see why its date has any relevance whatsover. 2500 years ago Aristotle questioned himself: What is the good life? And we continue trying to answer this question up to this very day. I didn't know that there were time limits on this forum. And as you can see I only registered for this forum today, and was only made aware of this post a couple of weeks ago. I created a new thread because I felt that, frankly, it would garner more attention. I'm not sure how many people go back and click 7 month old threads when they pop up. And just to clear something up: I have never posted on this forum prior to today, under this nor any other handle.

You remind me that the golden rule of internet message boards is that no one forced me to read the post, and you are 100% correct. But you know what? I did read it. And just the same as if I read a thread promoting racism in America or a revival of Nazism in Europe, I decided to speak out against something I disagree with. Clearly I am not proposing to compare Gigabet's post to a pro-Nazi post, but I bring up the example to question you--if you read such a post would you not feel compelled to speak out against it? Even though no one FORCED you to read it? And so I have to frankly disagree with you that I can get upset with other people for voicing their opinions, as my example above attests to.

And as you can probably tell, I feel like I did have a valid point to make. I just didn't like the way that Gigabet presented poker. To me he seemed to make it seem like a win-win situation for everyone involved, and clearly this is not the case. I just wanted to bring up the fact that there are losers in this game as well--and necesairly so, I might add. That's just the way the game is, and I am completely fine with that, I just don't like to read what I consider distortions of the truth (such as Gigabet's post, in my opinion).

I am particularly befuddled when you say that I am false in my claim that everyone respects Gigabet because he is the biggest winner. To be honest, I am very curious, if not for this reason, than for what reason do you respect him? He may make helpful contributions to this forum, but if that is the case, the contributions are inherently so helpful because he is a great poker player to begin with. In other words, a mediocre poker player can put a ton of effort into this forum, answering questions, posing problems, etc., yet his contributions will not be 1/100th as valuable as those of Gigabet, simply because Gigabet is a great player, and therefore has especially insightful comments to make. People read Garry Kasparov's chess games because he is one of the greatest chess players ever, not because he is an especially dashing Russian, or a great family man. There is nothing wrong with respecting Gigabet for being a great poker player, personally I show great reverence to talented men, whether they be authors, film makers, artists, or poker players. I fail to understand why me pointing out the reason for the respect he garners means that I have a "flaw in the understanding of basic social dynamics." Perhaps you could elucidate this for me?

Basically I was just a little confused when you closed my post. I am trying to be as rational here as possible. I can only hope that you don't consider these the words of a "raving lunatic."

Jman28
08-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Firstly, please stop making analogies altogether.

I think it's okay to disagree with anyone. But you are acting as if Gigabet gave us bad advice on purpose, which is clearly not true.

gumpzilla
08-30-2005, 12:33 AM
You can't register with a name like "DownWithGigabet" and have your first post be a ranting diatribe against one of the most revered posters here and expect anything sensible to happen. If you think otherwise, you're an idiot. I also think that basically nobody believes that you are a real newcomer to this forum, as it's pretty hard to see where you'd muster all that hate from otherwise.

While I agree that Gigabet, at least with regards to his actual 2+2 posts, gets overhyped around here, calling him a fraud and going to the lengths that you did is clearly excessive. Chill out on personal attacks next time and try and write like a reasonable person and discuss things, and maybe you'll get somewhere.

08-30-2005, 12:34 AM
geez, trying to make citanul work hard tonight.

he can only lock down so many threads you know...
then he gets really grumpy and he tries to lock down the whole website, and maybe even the entire internet.

Jman28
08-30-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chill out on personal attacks next time and try and write like a reasonable person and discuss things, and maybe you'll get somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

but without any analogies please.

gumpzilla
08-30-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

but without any analogies please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't actually read this before replying. But you don't think that the Gigabet problem is as pressing as Nazism? I'm not sure where you've been. Eating poop, probably.

A_Junglen
08-30-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
geez, trying to make citanul work hard tonight.

he can only lock down so many threads you know...
then he gets really grumpy and he tries to lock down the whole website, and maybe even the entire internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't like him when he's mad.

citanul
08-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Down,

First off, I have unlocked our thread. It contains elements to it which are clearly direct personal attacks, and resultingly it may in the future have to be locked again. We'll see. Hopefully people will ignore those factors and get to your points I guess.

Secondly, to answer why people give so much respect to gigabet:

a) he's a big winner at the highest levels of play that are associated with this forum
b) he has demondstrated an ability to think clearly, rationally, and creatively. he brings a winning AND different viewpoint to almost every hand he analyzes.
c) he's a nice guy. both in person and on the internet, in neither place is he required to, but he is friendly, respectful, and just well, nice, to people he meets or interacts with. he is a good sport and a good guy.
d) he's fairly well spoken, and also writes long, involved posts. they are often conflict inspiring, as they deviate from the norm.
e) he's played a gillion times more of these sngs than basically anyone else.
f) he's a "name player." people know his name from poker-land, because of his poker playing acheivements.

so those are a few of the reasons that people read and take into consideration his posts. i'm not going to argue that there aren't people who basically go on to hero worship or something, because that's clearly not true. but those other reasons before "he's famous so peopel hang on every word he says" are big ones and shouldn't be ruled out.

continuing, i think you read a lot of tone into gigabet's post that just isn't there. he wasn't seekign to lecture anyone. he really i think honestly just wanted people to get better, and offers his advice on how they could do that. your post seems to scream out against some kind of oppressive dictating of his that just isn't there. as far as "who are you to offer advice about life" and all that nonsense, the answer is plain and clean. he's just some guy who thought he could offer other people some helpful advice.

i'm sure he's very sorry he did though as he appears to have offended you. i'm sure we'll all be very careful in the future not to offer any advice you disagree with about how to live life, as we don't want to be the man keeping you down or whatever.

citanul

ononimo
08-30-2005, 12:45 AM
1) Just. Shut. Up.

2) Be a man and log back in under your main account.

citanul
08-30-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, please stop making analogies altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

that too.

citanul

-Skeme-
08-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Any link to this original Gigabet post he's bitching about?

ononimo
08-30-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any link to this original Gigabet post he's bitching about?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1825403 &fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

The Yugoslavian
08-30-2005, 01:26 AM
I SAID MEH!

http://people.freenet.de/digiscans/scanx3/originalimages/digi_S227_Laetitia_Casta.jpg

Yugoslav

08-30-2005, 01:29 AM
O

M

G

citanul
08-30-2005, 01:29 AM
that girl has clearly tried too hard to make sure the sand was on her boobs. now it's like, totally unnaturally coating the whole of them. that doesn't happen unless you like, sit there trying to make it.

citanul

SuitedSixes
08-30-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Secondly, to answer why people give so much respect to gigabet:

a) he's a big winner at the highest levels of play that are associated with this forum
b) he has demondstrated an ability to think clearly, rationally, and creatively. he brings a winning AND different viewpoint to almost every hand he analyzes.
c) he's a nice guy. both in person and on the internet, in neither place is he required to, but he is friendly, respectful, and just well, nice, to people he meets or interacts with. he is a good sport and a good guy.
d) he's fairly well spoken, and also writes long, involved posts. they are often conflict inspiring, as they deviate from the norm.
e) he's played a gillion times more of these sngs than basically anyone else.
f) he's a "name player." people know his name from poker-land, because of his poker playing acheivements.

[/ QUOTE ]
g) He uses proper capitalization in his posts.

astarck
08-30-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that girl has clearly tried too hard to make sure the sand was on her boobs. now it's like, totally unnaturally coating the whole of them. that doesn't happen unless you like, sit there trying to make it.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent observation. I agree.

maryfield48
08-30-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, you guys are picky.

Excellent observation. I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul
08-30-2005, 02:12 AM
i didn't say i had any problem with the girl. just hte photograph.