PDA

View Full Version : Big stick, flop the nuts, but no payday, what did I do wrong

deathtoau
04-13-2003, 11:02 PM
I was playing 2-4 hold-em at the Tropicana in AC. The table I am at is very loose with two maniacs. I am dealt A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif in the BB. 7 callers limp around to me when I raised. 4 players called. 5 see the flop.
K /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
I am UTG after the flop so I bet $2. The whole table folds and I don't make a big pot. The table had been wild with pre and post flop capping, reraises with rags and calls on nut flush boards. What could I have done differently to make a bigger payday?

elysium
04-13-2003, 11:26 PM
hi death
not much you can do on this one. looks good to me. oftentimes, raising from the BB means you have good starting cards. you hit so powerfully though, that there is room for actually slow-playing because of strength. we see this so seldomly that when it happens, we figure betting out is the best means of concealment. and i can't say i'd have played it differently, only now i will remind myself that sometimes we can and should slow-play a little in these rare instances.

Punker
04-13-2003, 11:59 PM
I will answer your question with a question: how do you win a pot when someone else flops a royal flush?

The answer is that sometimes, you can't control what cards the other players have, and you can't control how they act on them.

On a maniac table, simply betting out is usually a good idea. People with Ax or Kx will give you ridiculous action. Those hands weren't out this time, bad luck for you.

deathtoau
04-14-2003, 12:08 AM
I thought about slowplaying, but on the last hand I had K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif in SB. I flop top two pair. I bet out every round. I lost to the maniac who showed 5-2 offsuit and caught runner-runner 2's for trips.

Bob T.
04-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Your opponents have to have a little bit of the flop in order for you to win more this hand. I suspect that you have all of the good cards. I usually don't advocate slowplaying, but if I did, this would be a good candidate for a slowplay, you are only vulnerable to AA, which I suspect isn't out there, so you might check the flop, and hope that someone catches up a little bit. On the other hand, betting here, when you have all of the flop, will make it more likely that they will fold when you bet, and you didn't get all of the flop. So it isn't just about what you won here, but also what you might win on those other hands.

bernie
04-14-2003, 10:35 AM
it's possible you may have collected as much as you couldve.

what would you be asking if you limped, caught this hand, bet out, and everyones folds.

without seeing the other hands, it's only a shot in the dark

b

Ed Miller
04-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Being out of position, I would just bet the flop and hope someone had a King or an Ace and be willing to play with me. If I raise preflop and the flop comes AKK and I don't bet, my opponents would probably muck to my check.

Rick Diesel
04-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Not trying to be a prick but...

1. I think you meant big slick, not big stick
2. It is only called big slick when the AK is suited
3. You did not flop the nuts. KK would be the nuts, followed by AA as the second nut, and AK as the third nut

Anyway, onto the play of the hand. Normally when I slop a monster hand such as this, I will check. If it checks all the way around, the only possible damage that could be done is if another ace hits, then you split with Ax, or if someone hits runner runner for quads. I would take my chances with a check that maybe someone will take a stab on the flop, and just smooth call. Then I bet out the turn and river.

Rick Diesel

Homer
04-14-2003, 02:35 PM
...AK does not have to be suited for it to be called big slick.

-- Homer

CrackerZack
04-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Then it become suited slick. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Lost Wages
04-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Maybe I'm being pricky but,

When the flop is AKK and you have AK you are holding the second nuts since KK is no longer possible. Or to put it another way, there is only one possible hand that can beat you.

Lost Wages

Zag
04-14-2003, 02:53 PM
AK is also the second nuts, because there is only one hand that can beat it: AA

Zag
04-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Darn, you type faster than I do.

Bob T.
04-14-2003, 04:14 PM
and since one of the Kings is in his hand, he really has the second nuts, because it is VERY unlikely that KK is out there.

CrackerZack
04-14-2003, 04:16 PM
that's the understatement of the year! since he has a K in his hand and there are 2 on the board it better be impossible for KK to be out there. Never know with those shifty Taj players though. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif)

(I know you meant AA but I just couldn't resist)

Bob T.
04-14-2003, 04:22 PM
You scare me, you almost always post what I am thinking. I agree, I would have bet, because frequently when I bet I want my opponents to fold, and I have to bet some of the time when they should fold.

I think that raising and then checking the flop is anomolous action, and whenever it happens it should set off warning alarms, that I may be up against a very big hand.

I was trying to point out though, that because he hit the flop so hard, his hand was a candidate for slowplaying, because there weren't any real danger cards out there.