PDA

View Full Version : Was this play completely horrible?

KSOT
08-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Went to Foxwoods last night for some limit hold 'em, got frisky and decided to sit at a 1/2 NL table (max buy-in of $100). I stay even for a little over an hour, making some key bets at the right times, etc...

Our table breaks up and we're shuffled to new ones. I immediately lose 15 bucks on the first hand with KQ. Then the fourth hand in, still with no reads on anyone, I'm MP1 with ATo. Everyone folds to me and I open for $10. 4 people call behind me (seemed like a loose table). Flop is 7, 8, 10 rainbow and the SB leads for 20. I decide to make my stand with my remaining $75 and go all-in.

Long story short, MP2 goes all-in behind me with a set of 7s and SB calls us both with his 6,7,8,9,10 straight (nice preflop call buddy!!!). My concern is, was this play just terrible on my part, or did I just happen to pick the wrong time to draw a line in the sand? I've almost never played full ring NLHE before, so I don't really know what flies and what doesn't.

Thanks for any responces.

crosse91
08-29-2005, 10:28 PM
ok.

well, A-10 is not a raising hand from mp1 into a table full of unknowns. This is the biggest mistake in the hand. From this point on tho, as soon as you hit tptk you are pretty much committed with only 75 behind into a 50 pot. Also, get the idea of "taking a stand" out of your head. Poker is full of calculated decisions based on logic and facts, not bravado.

stu-unger
08-29-2005, 10:30 PM
crosse got it rite. i dont like the PFR at all.

imported_anacardo
08-29-2005, 10:36 PM
[quote Also, get the idea of "taking a stand" out of your head. Poker is full of calculated decisions based on logic and facts, not bravado.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word to your mom, but the act of "taking a stand," so to speak, that is committing your chips to a marginal hand, can often be a wise, logically-derived play. Postflop here, I'd say this qualifies.

KSOT
08-29-2005, 10:39 PM
No PFR, eh? Should I even limp with it? Would you raise with AJo from MP?

stu-unger
08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No PFR, eh? Should I even limp with it? Would you raise with AJo from MP?

[/ QUOTE ]

no not in a full ring game, but im a supa nit.

crosse91
08-29-2005, 10:47 PM
occassionally, i'm about 1/2 raise 1/2 limp.

mostly fold to a raise, unless they're super loose or raising from the blinds and we'll be heads up/3 way flop.