PDA

View Full Version : lord of the rings

01-03-2002, 01:48 PM
anybody else see this? really well done. go see it. even if you haven't read the books, most everybody i know who has seen it liked it. i cried. all 5 times.

01-03-2002, 01:58 PM

01-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Are you serious? I never read the books, but other than the nice animation this movie is nothing to write home about. The ending was ridiculously anticlimactic. I guess the problem is I compare most science fiction movies to the Star Wars trilogy, and almost everything comes up amazingly short of that standard

01-03-2002, 04:24 PM
i didn't like it at all. Boring. Harry Potter was much better.

01-03-2002, 05:26 PM
Well, Star Wars was written as a single movie. (Yes, he had the idea of the whole triology, but that movie was clearly written with an end.

"The Fellowship Of the Ring" was really only a "book" by virtue of the publishers decision to make it so. (Tolkein himself broke "Rings" up into six books, but said repeatedly that it was all one work).

So you should expect something like Star Wars to have a more climactic ending, because "LOTR" doesn't really have an ending.

That's two movies away.

01-03-2002, 08:35 PM
i think the problem is that there are 3 movies, and they are based on the 3 'books' that publishers insisted on splitting the one volume Lord of the Rings into. ridiculously anticlimactic? i would say more towards driving towards the end of the third movie. Tolkien was creating Science Fiction before star wars, and is considered by many to have written the definitive fantasy tale in his many writings regarding middle earth, ringlore and otherwise. star wars, to me, is a groundbreaking film that borrowed most of its content from those that had gone before.

01-03-2002, 08:41 PM
but no way was it better than LOTR. not in a million years. harry potter touched on all the major points of the book, and got a very hollywood, very nice, quaint film version of a great story. LOTR brought to life the beauty of another world and another time to the big screen. sure it was hollywood, but there was only one thing 'hollywood' about it that i had any problem with. i thought it was one of the most visually stunning movies ive ever seen, not to mention emotionally riveting, well acted, and very true to the original works that it was based on. as any die hard fan of a work of fiction who goes to see the movie version, its a high standard, and very easy to fail in the adaptation. but Peter Jackson and NewLine did a fantastic job, and you could tell that it was something they put a lot of themselves into to make it just right.

01-03-2002, 09:18 PM
There isn't really a climactic moment they can finish the movie on for like half an hour either side in the plot, if you get what I mean. That's just where the first book ends. The trilogy goes together, so the endings are more cliffhanger than climax (I can promise you right now that the second one ends in a cliffhanger as well).

I thought the film was very good, although I wouldn't rave as much as some reviews have done.

Sure beats the hell out of Phantom Menace. Episode 2 looks like it's going to be pretty bad as well.

Chris

01-03-2002, 10:46 PM
I was speaking only in terms of a person who hasn't read the books. I understand the books are pretty good. But still, what works in a movie doesn't necessarily work in a book.

01-03-2002, 10:54 PM
Again, I won't comment on the books, as I haven't read them (though I plan on doing so). I am of the opinion that movies in a series (such as the Star Wars trilogy) should be able to both "stand alone" and make sense within the series of movies. Meaning, if you watched only "Star Wars", and not the others in the trilogy, you should leave the movie theater feeling satisfied. While this movie might make sense in terms of a Lord of The Rings movie trilogy, I don't feel it leaves the viewer satisfied after watching JUST this movie. Just my opinion.

01-04-2002, 01:34 PM
the problem is, there is no way to market a single movie long enough to complete the entire story, start to finish. this leaves the resolution in regards to the ring left open-ended in this movie and most definitely the next as well. i keep wanting to refer to the books, so i guess i should just say 'read the books' and hope we can have this discussion after you have read them. having said that, and having read them, i can say that the climax that the movie does come to is the best they could hope for in terms of a good climactic ending.

01-04-2002, 05:41 PM

01-04-2002, 07:37 PM
Cliff-hanger endings or endings which leave unresolved issues are my favorite (as long as their resolved later on). It builds anticipation for the next movie

I had no problem with the LotRs' ending although it wasn't special in any way.

The Empire Strikes Back was the best of the Star Wars films in part because of the way it ended.