PDA

View Full Version : Best restaurants in NYC

Jdanz
08-29-2005, 07:56 PM
where and why,

specifically tonight is my first night in Union Square and i know sfer eats around here, just looking for suggestions in general but union square specifically if you knwo em.

The Armchair
08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Republic is pretty cool. Loud though.

Union Square West and 17th, I think. Maybe a bit south.

handsome
08-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Blue Water Grill is right there.

Jdanz
08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Bump, just list your favorite nyc restaraunts

Jdanz
08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
pricey

handsome
08-29-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pricey

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's a McDonald's a block away.

istewart
08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Two I went to recently that I really liked:

Grimaldi's in Brooklyn (pizza)
Woo Lae Oak in SoHo (Korean barbeque, excellent)

Jdanz
08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
just throwing that out there, i'd like to hear pricey suggestions as well, really any restaruant worth it's price.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Chipotle because they have the best burritos anywhere.
<font color="white">And because you NY'ers are so easy to troll. Suck it.</font>

The Armchair
08-29-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a BR Guest place?

DasLeben
08-29-2005, 09:09 PM
I haven't been there in a long while, but I remember the Carnagie Deli being great. I'd never seen a BLT the size of my head before. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hicherbie
08-29-2005, 09:15 PM
name a food type and a price range.

The Armchair
08-29-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a BR Guest place?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is! Sweet!

La Brujita
08-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Jean Georges is the best one I have been to.

astroglide
08-29-2005, 09:21 PM
nobu is very good and the prices aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to me. mesa grill is great. i think tamarind is overrated for indian but good if you want a "nice restaurant" indian experience. avoid kittichai at all costs. search for nobu and you'll probably find 80 ny restaurant threads.

oddjob
08-29-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white">And because you NY'ers are so easy to troll. Suck it.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget chili's, because they have the best baby back ribs.

Jdanz
08-29-2005, 10:14 PM
really anything and everything, but i like pretty spicey food so let's say thai/indian in the 20-40 for a meal range

Jdanz
08-29-2005, 10:14 PM
the closest chili's is in jersey city, i know cause my friends made a day trip once.

pretty sad.

bugstud
08-29-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget chili's, because they have the best boneless buffalo wings .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Jdanz
08-29-2005, 10:46 PM
correct

The Armchair
08-29-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget chili's, because [b]it'll clean out your colon[b].

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

arod15
08-29-2005, 11:46 PM
CHUARSQUIERA PLATIFORMA 48th and 8th. It has 13 types of steaks going around all you can eat for 50 bucks. IF you go with over 10 people it is all you can eat and all you can drink wine for 75 a head. Awsome place.

tonypaladino
08-30-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to Grimaldi's if you want to wait on line for an hour for the same over-rated brick oven pizza you can get at a billion other places in Brooklyn and Manhattan

tonypaladino
08-30-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Republic is pretty cool. Loud though.

Union Square West and 17th, I think. Maybe a bit south.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree,
and it's fairly inexpensive.

istewart
08-30-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to Grimaldi's if you want to wait on line for an hour for the same over-rated brick oven pizza you can get at a billion other places in Brooklyn and Manhattan

[/ QUOTE ]

I waited for 5 minutes on a Saturday afternoon.

It's not like you're not waiting on line at Lombardi's or whatever, and they both make it better than other places.

tonypaladino
08-30-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I waited for 5 minutes on a Saturday afternoon.

It's not like you're not waiting on line at Lombardi's or whatever, and they both make it better than other places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I waited 45 min on a weekday, I figured a weekend would be worse.

Do you really think their pizza is any better than any other brick oven place? To me it tastes the same as the brick oveen places in manhattan. (57th street, 3rd ave/20's [can't remember either of the names])

turnipmonster
08-30-2005, 01:10 AM
grimaldi's is much better than patsy's. I used to think they were the same, but I have eaten at both places a lot.

tonypaladino
08-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Grimaldi's was called Patsy's. The name was changed b/c of a lawsuit of some sort. Lots of old-time Brooklynites still call it Patsy's

whitelime
08-30-2005, 04:06 AM
I've eaten at all the popular pizza places in NYC

I would rank them as follows:

1) Grimaldi's
2) Lombardi's
3) Joe's on Carmine/Bleecker (in a different league b/c they serve slices but probably the best slice in the world)
4) Patsy's
5) Casertia Vecchia in Brooklyn
6) John's (most overrated pizza ever)

lastsamurai
08-30-2005, 04:30 AM
for all you people in brooklyn... GINOS on 5th avenue on Bay Ridge...THE BEST.

If you like japanese food there is a great yakitori place on st marks place called yakitori-taisho.

samjjones
08-30-2005, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CHUARSQUIERA PLATIFORMA 48th and 8th. It has 13 types of steaks going around all you can eat for 50 bucks. IF you go with over 10 people it is all you can eat and all you can drink wine for 75 a head. Awsome place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh oh...megantw is going to rip you for this suggestion...

IndieMatty
08-30-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm a sucker for Ono and City Crab. Benny and Jacks steakhouse is new and supposedly--very good. Where's the El-Diablo beacon? Can one of you youngins with time on your hands get to work on that?

08-30-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Grimaldi's
2) Lombardi's
3) Joe's on Carmine/Bleecker (in a different league b/c they serve slices but probably the best slice in the world)
4) Patsy's

[/ QUOTE ]

Years agot there was a pizza place in the east village, Two Boots which I thought had a really good slice. It may still be there.
Btw, IMO John's is just as good as Grimaldi's.

Paluka
08-30-2005, 10:24 AM
I think John's is absolutely the best pizza, although I admit that I have not been to Grimaldi's. I find John's tastier than Patsie's and Lombardi's. Joe's on Bleecker is okay for a place that sells slices but all the slice places suck anyway. NYC pizza is hugely overrated in general, in my opinion.

turnipmonster
08-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I know, but I am talking about the current incarnation of both of them.

DrSavage
08-30-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it.
Also , it's directly under the brooklyn bridge, only 1 train stop from manhattan so don't get the impression it's that far.

InchoateHand
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
HoJos, Times Square. Its like a well-kept secret.

MaxPower
08-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Grimaldi's is fantastic. Joe's on Carmine used to have great slices, but I heard recently that they closed. St. Mark's was great as well, but they closed.

MaxPower
08-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Let me guess, you're from New Haven?

samjjones
08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a sucker for Ono and City Crab. Benny and Jacks steakhouse is new and supposedly--very good. Where's the El-Diablo beacon? Can one of you youngins with time on your hands get to work on that?

[/ QUOTE ]
El Diablo is on hiaOOTus.

IndieMatty
08-30-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
El Diablo is on hiaOOTus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I can't blame him.

08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Gramercy Tavern. Eat at the bar (u won' get reservations for the dining room). The bar area is great (not what u're thinking), the food is outstanding, and the service is the best in NYC. Rated #1 in Zagat for the past 5,000,000 years.

sthief09
08-30-2005, 03:41 PM
I like Tao and Koi a lot, but I don't leave my shitty little area that much so I haven't eaten at a lot of these places. two good, reasonable restaurants in my shitty little area are Ruby Foo's and Carmine's, both on the UWS, though both of these places are also in/near Times Square

sthief09
08-30-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Grimaldi's
2) Lombardi's
4) Patsy's

[/ QUOTE ]

John's on Bleeker and Jones (don't know if it's the same as the 3 or 4 other Johns' around) is really good. I haven't eaten at any of the other places but they make great pizza.

also in my shitty little area there is a palce called Koronet's. the pizza isn't the best, though it's really good, but the slices are cheap and enormous. the pies are almost twice the size of regular pies in circumference. and they're open until 5am and across the street from all my school's local bars. it's a little hole in the wall. on 111th and Broadway I think

r2p
08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Either the Blue Water Grill or Olives (in the W hotel)

karitek
09-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Vegetarian: Hangawi - 9 course mouthwatering korean vegan meal for around $35, honestly the best vegetarian food i have had anywhere.

All Around: Four Seasons - I know it's hyped, but it really is that good. where else can you get amazing steak followed by cotten candy covered ice cream? (i swear it's delicious)

Falafel: Oasis, Williamsburg - $3 buys you the best falafel sandwich in the city.

Brunch: Sarabeths (multiple locations) - worth the wait, has some of the best baked goods ever.

ethan
09-11-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two I went to recently that I really liked:

Woo Lae Oak in SoHo (Korean barbeque, excellent)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried more than my fair share of NY pizza, and it isn't as good as what you can get in Amherst, MA. I was recently back to my hometown for two weeks, and had 10 meals at Antonio's.

And as far as Korean BBQ, I live in LA so I'm just spoiled these days.

I like New York, it's just outclassed in these particular areas.

GoblinMason (Craig)
09-11-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/cmason/www/eldsignal.jpg

Ulysses
09-18-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Either the Blue Water Grill or Olives (in the W hotel)

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue Water Grill is good, but Aquagrill is a million times better.

Olives is way overpriced and only marginal for the price.

Ulysses
09-18-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Tao

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Tao is overpriced, though the space is great. Food is good, but not super great. I prefer China Grill to Tao, though CG is a little too loud and not the greatest space. I also prefer many much cheaper small Thai/pan-Asian places (Elephant, Klong, OG, Kelley &amp; Ping, Nam are a few). I've been told by reliable sources The Biltmore Room is great - that's high on my list of places to visit.

Ulysses
09-18-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think John's is absolutely the best pizza, although I admit that I have not been to Grimaldi's. I find John's tastier than Patsie's and Lombardi's. Joe's on Bleecker is okay for a place that sells slices but all the slice places suck anyway. NYC pizza is hugely overrated in general, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ate at Lombardi's last night for the first time. I thought it was very good, but was underwhelmed after all the hype. I might prefer John's, it's close. My favorite NYC-style pizza is probably Marcello's in SF.

Chocolate cannoli from Ferrara was great and won out over Rice to Riches for dessert. Close call, though, as I've been wanting to go to Rice to Riches for a long time.

We found that winning stuffed animals is a great conversation starter w/ chicks around the San Gennaro festival area. We also found that taking stuffed animals to other bars nowehere near the street festival just makes everyone think you are ridiculous.

jakethebake
09-18-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We also found that taking stuffed animals to other bars nowehere near the street festival just makes everyone think you are ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you should have been wearing your mask.

sfer
09-18-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I walked by Joe's (the one down the block from Grey Dog, right?) a couple of months ago and it was gone, replaced by Dominos.

sfer
09-18-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gramercy Tavern. Eat at the bar (u won' get reservations for the dining room). The bar area is great (not what u're thinking), the food is outstanding, and the service is the best in NYC. Rated #1 in Zagat for the past 5,000,000 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

The food is terrific and you can pretty much always eat at the bar. I actually prefer stopping by spur of the moment and eating at the bar (Union Square Cafe is very good for this too) than most planned nights out.

sfer
09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite NYC-style pizza is probably Marcello's in SF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marcello's is terrific but I prefer Grimaldi's.

sfer
09-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Around Union Square you can't go wrong with Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Il Cantinori, Casa Mono, and, Les Halles (a little more uptown on Park).

Generally, in NYC, I love Per Se, Peter Luger, Cafe Boulud, Dumont, Momofuko, Frank's (and Lil' Frankie's), City Hall, Le Jardin Bistro, CraftBar (although I haven't been since it moved to Broadway), Soba Nippon, Joe Shanghai, Congee Village. There are still tons of places I want to try.

shaniac
09-19-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Around Union Square you can't go wrong with Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Il Cantinori, Casa Mono, and, Les Halles (a little more uptown on Park).

Generally, in NYC, I love Per Se, Peter Luger, Cafe Boulud, Dumont, Momofuko, Frank's (and Lil' Frankie's), City Hall, Le Jardin Bistro, CraftBar (although I haven't been since it moved to Broadway), Soba Nippon, Joe Shanghai, Congee Village. There are still tons of places I want to try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good picks although Les Halles has gone down hill significantly (or at least had the last time I was there).

Below 14th St: All Danny Meyer restaurants are excellent, especially Union Sq. Cafe. Babbo is probably my favorite restaurant in all of Manhattan; Mario Batali's other restaurants and projects are almost uniformly good, though I've had some bad experiences at Otto.

The Frank Empire (Frank, Supper, Lil Frankie's) in the East Village is a great option on a smaller budget.

Blue Ribbon, Inoteca and Bar Veloce are indespinsible late night stops.

Best pizza in NYC is DiFara's in Midwood, BK and it's not even close. If I had to get a slice in Manhattan I'd be inclined to go up to Patsy's in East Harlem or Sal and Carmine's on the Upper West Side (assuming both are still as good as they were a couple years ago, which might not be the case). I can't think of a great slice anywhere in lower Manhattan.

Wu36
09-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Veritas and Jewel Bako are both very good.

Jdanz
09-20-2005, 12:19 AM
thanks everybody, especially el d and sfer for the detailed suggestions

BottlesOf
09-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Per Se
Le Bernardin
Bouley
March

These are some of my favorites. They're not cheap.