PDA

View Full Version : Seven deadly sins

08-29-2005, 07:39 PM
The 7 deadly sins, were first introduced by a Greek monastic theologian Evangrius of Pontus when he drew up a list of eight wicked human passions: Gluttony, lust, avarice, sadness, anger, acebia (from the Greek word asevia that means to have no respect), vainglory and pride.
In 6th century St. Gregory the Great reduced them to seven, changing vainglory into pride, acebia into sadness and adding envy.
Then Th. Aquinas suggested in 13th century that the seriousness of the sins could be ranked in this way: Pride, envy, anger, sloth, avarice, gluttony, and lust.
As per Dante’s Divine Comedy the seven deadly sins are: lust, gluttony, avarice, sloth, anger, envy, pride.
These impulses are still characterized as "deadly passions" rather than sins in and of themselves. Instead, to invite and entertain or to refuse to attempt resistance against these passions is considered sinful in Orthodox Christian moral theology.

Do you think that you could add or reduce some? What is your ranking of the sins seriousness?

RxForMoreCowbell
08-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve long had an issue with the seven deadly sins. As a skeptic, I don’t agree that there as such a thing as “sin” but I do see how this concept is at least related to immoral/unethical acts, and so I will analyze the list as such.

Sloth and Gluttony I don’t have much interesting to say about, besides that no one seems to follow either very well.

Greed in my opinion is morally neutral. I define greed as wanting something for your own satisfaction, not the acts taken to get those things you want. Nothing in this view of greed is intrinsically right or wrong. If you do immoral acts to get something you want, it is the immoral acts that were your flaws, not the original wanting. Furthermore I often hear that a little greed is ok, but once it becomes excessive it is immoral. I consider this nonsense. Even assuming we all agree on what point we cross from a small amount of greed to a good amount of greed to an excessive amount, what is the harm caused by people who have the excessive amount of greed? There need not be any harm at all really. It seems to me when most people say “greed is bad” what they mean is “breaking your own ethical code to get things you want is bad”. In this case I say the compromising of your own code is the issue, not the greed.

Lust is also morally neutral. Like greed, I view lust as something that isn’t really a choice. If you feel lust, you feel lust. Furthermore, I feel acting on lust is not necessarily wrong. If you lust another person, and they feel that lust for you and you act on it, both being single with no one to hurt, there’s no harm that has been done. Acting on lust is only wrong if you break a promise to another by doing so. If you are married and act on lust towards another woman, it is the lie, the breaking of your vow that is the immoral act, not the lust.

Pride in my opinion can be wrong when it is excessive, but only to the same extent that it’s polar opposite is wrong. Pride is wrong when it is excessive to the point of deluding oneself from reality. Believing you are capable, or even the best at something is not a flaw if you are right. It is only when you overestimate your abilities that a positive opinion of yourself can harm you. So hubris can be seen as bad, not all pride is bad. In addition low self-esteem is equally immoral to hubris. Not believing in your abilities can cause as much harm as believing in abilities you don’t have.

Anger I agree is immoral. Like lust, I think to a large extent you cannot control whether you feel anger or not. Unlike lust, I believe it is always harmful to act out on the anger you feel, and therefore acting on anger is wrong. This is a pretty simple yet often overlooked moral value in society. Beyond the fact that so many people lack the self-control to not act out on anger, I think there are many instances in which people who say anger is absolutely wrong would then defend some instances of acting out on anger. An example is vengeance. Vengeance in my opinion is a product of anger. Taking vengeance on another never does anything productive for the world (at least not intentionally), and it is certainly destructive. Vengeance is both fueled by anger and proliferates anger. It shocks me how many people will say anger is a sin and yet defend someone who takes vengeance.

The fact that envy is on the list in my opinion is redundant. Envy is a product of anger and greed. You want that which your neighbor has and you are angry at them for having that, so you resent them. Envy is only wrong to the degree that it is acting upon anger. Holding a grudge on another because they have something you want is petty, but just the wanting those things which they have, even if you want it a lot, is not necessarily wrong.

The Dude
08-30-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think to a large extent you cannot control whether you feel anger or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have time to respond to the rest of your post, although there are several points I'd like to rebut. But I could not let this point go by. You are wrong here, and there are plenty of studies that show that. I'm not stating my opinion here, anger as a response is learned and can be unlearned (although it can be very hard to do so, it is by no means uncontrolable).

tek
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that you could add or reduce some?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing without a proper bankroll? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hmkpoker
08-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Ignorance would be at the top of my list.

08-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Ok let's suppose that one can learn how to manage anger. Psychologists report that they spend more time helping people deal with their anger than any other emotion.
If it is so, why we have such high rates of violent crime?
And if violent crime, war and terrorism are not the results of an extremely angry society, they are the results of what?
What about depression, addiction in drugs and alcohol?
Why entire cultures reject people if they are not making money and equal one’s worth as person with one’s financial assets? I come from a very wealthy family and most of my friends do so.
Why more and more people are not satisfied with their relationships and their sexual lives?
Are all these the results of the sins and is the “punishment” for a sin the sin itself?

runner4life7
08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
all sins are equal, its that simple. next question please

pzhon
08-31-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As per Dante’s Divine Comedy the seven deadly sins are: lust, gluttony, avarice, sloth, anger, envy, pride.

[/ QUOTE ]
To me, four of those should be combined or pruned: lust, gluttony, avarice, and envy are similar. If you must split hairs between these, you should also add jealousy and a few other minor variations. Turning these four into one or two would free up space for addiction/intoxication, dishonesty, sadism, and open-limping in late position.