PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Cable or DSL providers

NiR
08-29-2005, 07:26 PM
currently i steal wireless connectoin from neighbors but this causes me to lose conneciton alot and lose all of my buyins from my 8 tables once in a while. so i decided that i would just get cable or dsl. verizon dsl and optimum cable is not given in my area so those 2 are out of the question. these are the questions i have.

1. please list the cheapest/best cable or dsl connections you used. please name it and show its price and if its dsl or cable.
2. how reliable is it? will i get disc while playing ?
3. i so far found roadrunner thats $44.99. thats the cheapest i found so if anyone finds anything cheaper please let me know. and i dont want to have to get the phone line as well. i understand that it might be cheaper but for now i just want the cable or dsl. but if you know a good deal for the combo then let me know.

4. how do you guys think about roadrunner?

5. any other info is great. thank you.

Blarg
08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Yahoo DSL is 14.99/mo. now. It's okay and beats dial-up, but does cut out sometimes, and like all DSL, your speed will depend on your neighborhood wiring and distance from a station. For me, I always get stuttering in downloadable video and music, and online radio is basically impossible.

By the way, if you're playing 8 tables, you should have a dial-up connection AND DSL or cable. Even if you're playing 1 table, really. The cost of service is dirt cheap compared to the cost of losing your buy-ins even only very occasionally.

You should also get a very strong battery back-up. That's your other weak link.

My computer would have exploded this week if it wasn't protected by an excellent back-up unit. One of my old ones that was still plugged in but not on did, and my microwave went down too. Any seriously expensive electronic items should be protected.

wonderwes
08-30-2005, 02:43 AM
I just saw a new ad. Broadband remote access from Verizon. Basically imagine a bigger than normal usb wi-fi adapter that works in a major city radius. $60 a month. Not to shabby to be able to drive around and have wifi all across the city.

IronDragon1
08-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Other than ethernet-I've always done best with cable.

Here, you are obviously bound to whatever company happens to have the monopoly in your area but many companies offer 19.99 for 6 months type deals you could look into.