PDA

View Full Version : Defragmenting with Microsoft AntiSpyware

PrincipalSkinner
08-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Lately I've been having some performance problems--"low on virtual memory"

In looking for a possible cause, I defragmented my hard drive. Immediately after defragging I checked and found that I have a bit of a problem:

"programfiles\MicrosoftAntiSpyware\errors" has a file size of 4.00GB (The entire Microsoft AntiSpyware file is only 4.01GB)and consists of 18,177 fragments.

Defragmenting does not change this situation.

I tried opening up this errors file, but I get a popup that says it's too large for notepad, use another editing medium--yeah, right

Are the contents of this errors file needed for anything? I could just delete the errors file, but I'm not sure if I could recreate another empty errors file.

I am also running Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Antivir, and Spyware Blaster, as well as a Zonealarm firewall.

Alternatively, I could just delete the MicrosoftAntiSpyware in its entirety to eliminate my problem. Is it really needed with all my other stuff?

Also--is this related to my "low on virtual memory" situation, or is it just an unrelated problem that I stumbled upon?

As always--Thanks very much!!

stabn
08-29-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm fairly certain your low on virtual memory error is not related to this but go ahead and delete the errors file if you want to know. It will probably rebuild it on lauch but if it does stop the software from working just download it again.

cgwahl
08-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Defragging and deleting files has nothing to do with virtual memory. Although a 4gig error file is kind of funny. If its just a text file I'd go ahead and delete it.

Virtual memory is basically RAM your OS saves to the hard disk.

How much RAM do you have?

And when you look in task manager how much does it say you're using?

PrincipalSkinner
08-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks, guys--I took the plunge and dumped the errors file--defragged again and now the bargraph shows no red--such a warm fuzzy feeling!

My RAM situation: laptop came with 256, I added 512 more last winter, now I show 704 MB of RAM.

My CPU is Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz.

My harddrive is 40 GB

Re: Task Manager--I don't know the difference between physical memory and kernel memory--please tell me?

Anyway, the current figures are (with all windows closed):

phys mem: T 720M
A 467
SC 426
Kern mem: T 63M
P 43
NP 20

Now I open up pokertracker, multi-tabling help (another program, scoots tables around so you can multitable without external monitors), PokeraceHUD, and 12 Party/skin tables. With this arrangement I show:

Phys: T 720
A 353 (363 when PT is importing)
SC 462 (453 when importing)

Kern: T 66
P 45
NP 20

CPU usage--when pokertracker is importing, CPU usage pegs at 100% and stays there until import is finished. Import takes 2 mins 45 secs for 12 tables. I have PT set to import every 2 mins since I change tables frequently, so basically it's 2 mins of maybe 85% CPU usage followed by 2 3/4 mins of 100% CPU usage and the cycle repeats.

During my observations I noticed that I would "lose" a eurobet table (it would just close all by itself). I would open another one to replace the lost one and maybe 10 minutes later guess what--another euro table would disappear. I did notice that the last time a table disappeared, it was during the pokertracker import (100% CPU usage) period, but I was too tired to hang around and see if the tables only disappear during import periods.

I'm not aware of losing tables so frequently in my normal play. I don't know if they are more prone to be "lost" if they are just open without me being seated and active; or perhaps I'm losing just as many when I am active but just haven't noticed because of my hectic pace of voluntarily closing and opening tables in a situation where I can't see all the tables at once.

Experts please diagnose these observations!! Many thanks.

cgwahl
08-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Ok, right click on My Computer->properties->Advanced

Look for performance then click on settings. There may be an advanced tab...I want you to find where it has virtual memory.

Hopefully it says 768MB. Click on Change. Assuming you have more than one drive, select C: and make a custom paging file...I would personally make it 768MB to 1536MB. This should ensure you never have to worry about your virtual memory ever again.

However its up to you and however much space you have on your drive. I made mine the way it is since I only have 512MB RAM and years ago I was always told to make the page file around 1.5 times the size of my RAM. But now that everyone has 1gig and more of RAM this is probably not the case anymore. You will probably be just as happy with 512MB to 768MB (or 1024MB).

Anyhow, try this and see how things go.

PrincipalSkinner
08-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks, I followed your directions exactly--should be OK now . .

My settings WERE 562, then 288-576, so this should make a difference.

Thanks again! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MyMindIsGoing
08-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Write the same amount in both boxes (unless you already did) and the page file will be fixed size witch inproves overall preformance. 512/512 is what I usually recomend.