PDA

View Full Version : DanS and Beetz drop $1400 combined in propitious $6/$12 game

bad beetz
04-13-2003, 03:51 PM
There's not that much poker content here, just ranting, so sorry for wasting 4 seconds of your time if you don't like that kind of thing. you're free to bitch and moan about it all you please.

OK, so Dan S came up to my local hangout, Sonoma Joes. We played $6/$12 from 7:00 PM to 4:00 AM, 9 handed, $6 on the big blind, $2 on the small, pot raked for $4 max with half kill. I connect with 2 flops all night. Dan connects with several and loses all of them. I drop three racks, he drops four.

Some hands in not so much detail:

Dan 4 bets before the flop with AA.
bets flop, gets lots of callers. bets turn, gets some callers (including old man river, and the "worst player ever"). Bets the river and gets a caller. old man river's Q5o drags huge pot while extracting minimum from Dan.

Dan 4 bets AA before the flop.
K8 rivers trip eights and extracts the minimum from Dan.

Dan 4 bets with AA before the flop. Old man river flops the nut straight with 42o and extracts the minimum from Dan.

Dan 2 bets JJ before the flop. I 4 bet AA before the flop. Sandwhiched between Dan (who is mighty aggressive) and moron with two pair, I lost half of my just purchased third rack. After the hand when I jokingly chastise the moron for calling cold 3 bets with 96o (he's calling me too tight all night), he says something about how all high cards are out... pot odds.. bulsh*t bulsh*t... I've been playing for 23 years...etc. and then he tells me I should read a book. I think briefly about killing him and then let it go. Dan says I must post that quote so I did.

Here is my personal favorite:

Everone limps. I limp on the button with J4s (yah, it's a loose call. SHUTUP byotch!) flop comes JJ5. One bettor, old man river calls, I raise, both call. Turn is another five. Checked to old man river who bets, I raise, he calls.
River is a card. He bets out, I raise, he calls. He has a five.

Next. Dan raises before the flop. He bets every street on a very scary board. On the river, "Worst player ever" says, "I don't think you got it" and calls. I don't remember what Dan had, but it was several times better than ace high. Next hand the "worst player ever" over calls a preflop raiser and solid player with pocket 2's

Next: I haven't played a hand in about an hour. Comments about my tightness are getting tossed around. I decide I'll make a loose raise somewere. I'm on the button with 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . two limpers, I raise and get it alone with them. One of them limp reraises. I put him on a big pair or big suited connectors.

Flop comes 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . Dope.

I think about it, and I decide I'll raise the flop when he bets, because if he has a big pair he'll pop me back one and then I can call and pop the turn.

That is the exact sequence of events and we lose the other player. The turn was a third spade, and he bets and calls my raise.

River is a fourth spade and he bets out. I think and think and I say outloud, "the only thing you could have is a big pair with a big spade, but I pay off anywway," and call.

He has T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

later, around 3:45 AM, I turn the nut straight heads up and collect 3 and 1/2 big bets. besides the jacks full (7:20 PM) and trip nines (I get my ass handed to me) it's the only hand I made.

I'm at -$60/hour for the month.

Ulysses
04-13-2003, 04:51 PM
You want bad beats? Here are two of my recent faves. I got to spectate on both of these....

Saturday morning, I don't know, 4am or so. 15-30 full of horrible players.

Tight, decent-playing old man to my left open-raises in MP. LP, button and blinds cold-call.

Flop is 866, two diamonds. MP bets. LP, worst player in the world, and button call. Very aggressive, strong playing SB checkraises. Diamond draw. Old man calls. Others call.

Turn is 2866, diamonds make it. SB bets his made flush. MP raises. Uh-oh. LP cold-calls. Button folds. SB 3-bets what must be nut flush. MP 4-bets what must be a full house. LP cold-calls again. SB calls.

River is 62866. Checked to LP, who bets. SB folds. MP says "unbelievable" and calls, turning over his 88. LP shows his 67o.

Last week, no-limit.

A few limp in. Smallish pot, say $50.

Flop 774. OK player bets $50. Bad player calls. $150 in pot.

Turn 7742. OK player bets $150, all-in. Bad player calls.

River 7742A. OK player turns over A4s for two pair on the flop. Bad player takes it down w/ A6s - six kicker plays.

Gotta love it!

haakee
04-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Next: I haven't played a hand in about an hour. Comments about my tightness are getting tossed around. I decide I'll make a loose raise somewere. I'm on the button with 9 8 . two limpers, I raise and get it alone with them. One of them limp reraises. I put him on a big pair or big suited connectors.

I would probably wait for a suited hand to do this. You could bump with 76s, whether against a few callers in LP or first in from EP or MP. Although maybe that wouldn't look so loose to these pea-brained monkeys.

I'm starting to get comments about being a tight player also. Garden City yesterday, I sit down in a 6-12 next to a fun poor-playing LAG who likes to drink and gamble that I've played with before. I fold a round and he says, "You should loosen up, you play too tight!" I say, "You wouldn't have played my cards either." He says, "Do you think I'm a loose player?" I say, "Well... you're looser than I am." He says, "That's no answer, who isn't looser than you are?" He leaves shortly afterwards because the table's not so great. I get a table change a little while later for the same reason.

New table is a pretty good table, with one fairly aware tight player, and several loose passives (preflop raises aren't common and 6 are seeing the flop on average). A Garden City dealer (Mohammed) comes and sits down at the table, I say, "Hey, no tight players allowed!" He has played with me before and responds, "What the hell are you doing at this table then? You play tighter than I do!" Oops, I guess I brought that on myself. A while later the table gets a little tougher, with most pots being raised preflop and only 3-4 seeing the flop on average. So I'm folding a lot, and I get a few premium hands (AA a couple times, KK, AK a couple times -- they hold up every time and I'm showing down almost every time against one of the loosies). The aware tight player starts chiding me for only playing premiums and then tells the table he mucked AQs on the button to my EP raise (I believe I had KK, made quads on the river and wasn't called so I didn't show). I later limp in in EMP with QJo (yeah, yeah, definitely questionable given the makeup of the table at this point), and the tight guy goes, "Whoa, AJ?" I think all of his chattering made the terrible fish at the table play tighter. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Louie Landale
04-13-2003, 06:49 PM
So, answer me ..err.. yourself honestly: Did you hold together in the face of this terrible luck or did you tilt apart?

That's what matters.

- Louie

PS. For supersticious folk, I offer the following observation: Lady Luck likes to play sadistic games. She targets those who fall apart or bitch about their luck. I mean, what fun is it to fling bad luck at disciplined and mature people?

Ulysses
04-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Most of these players are idiots. Talk it up while you're playing and they won't notice that you're playing so few hands. Gamble it up w/ something like 57s after a few limpers. When they are super convinced you are ultra-tight, raise w/ just about anything on the button until you get caught.

bernie
04-13-2003, 07:22 PM
"Lady Luck likes to play sadistic games. She targets those who fall apart or bitch about their luck. I mean, what fun is it to fling bad luck at disciplined and mature people?"

im still laughin at this line.

god, i hate that bitch

b

bad beetz
04-14-2003, 12:38 PM
we tilted like two little b*tches. mad crazy tilt.

fortunately, I had decided not to record this session beforehand, so it's, uhm, like it never happened.