PDA

View Full Version : Air Purifiers?

Zygote
08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Any suggestions?

I have allergies and mild asthma on top of the fact that the air in my room is extremely thick and muggy. I need something to clean the air of mold, dust and other allergens and make an overall more breathable environment. Price is not much of an issue, but I am obviously concerned about value. So again, any suggestions?

waffle
08-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Whatever you do, don't get one of those ionic air purifiers from Sharper Image. Consumer Reports tested all of the air purifiers a while back and this was on the absolute bottom of all the tests.

I researched this a few years ago and ended up getting a Whirlpool.

dibbs
08-29-2005, 06:17 PM
I forget the name brand, but it's one of those vertical tower looking ones thats often sold on QVC type channels is supposed to be really good, I'd check a consumers guide to see if they have anything on them because I know there are a lot of knockoffs now.

My roommate with allergies cheaped out freshman year on some small one, the filter sucked and one afternoon while he was asleap the thing went up in flames, he awoke to me beating his air purifier that he thought I had torched, he thought I had lost it, good times. The real deal ones are pretty expensive if I remember though, but hey, its your health right.

Matt Flynn
08-29-2005, 06:33 PM
The ionic ones, like the Shaper Image version, produce high quantities of ozone. Ozone is very bad for people with asthma.

Zygote
08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My roommate with allergies cheaped out freshman year on some small one, the filter sucked and one afternoon while he was asleap the thing went up in flames, he awoke to me beating his air purifier that he thought I had torched, he thought I had lost it, good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

made me laugh

Los Feliz Slim
08-29-2005, 06:39 PM
I have this:
http://www.blueair.com/Images/homepage/homepageimage.jpg

It's really expensive, but I got a floor model from Brookstone and saved something like $200. I'm moderately allergic to cats and purchased this when I got a cat (long story) and I'm pretty sure it worked wonders.

STLantny
08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
I have a balcolny off my bedroom (keep door open w/screen), and pretty much keep the windows open all the time except during bitter cold 3-4 mos outta the year, getting one is probably a waste for me??

DeezNuts
08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Whirlpool Purifier (http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?id=5888)

I got this one at the recommendation of a few posters at the beginning of the year. It isn't as quiet as I would like, but it seems to do a good job of removing the allergens(I live with roommates that own 3 cats and I am mildly allergic) and was ranked at the top from a recent Consumer Reports guide on air purifiers.

If you don't mind replacing the filters every 3 months(very easy to do), it's a good value.

DN

Jeebus
08-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I got a pretty good HEPA one and it works wonders. Can clear the smoke of 5-10 ciggs. as well as the bong while it is being created. I'm sure it can take care of some allergies.