PDA

View Full Version : Lifting with limited equipment, good routine?

mason55
08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
So I need to start lifting again after taking a few "post college" months off. Unfortunately I have the following dilemma: I am too lazy to go to a gym. Luckily I have a gym at my apt complex, but they don't have much. Here's a list of possibilities:

Incline press machine with four different settings from chest press to shoulder press.

Lateral pull down bar

Seated row/Preacher curls (I think they're called).

Biceps curl

Triceps pushdown

Leg extension

Leg press

I basically am looking to bulk up. Right now I'm 6'1". I was 165lbs before I took a weeklong vacation, I came back at 170. Whoops! I used the free personal training services through HS and college so I've never had to design my own workout routine.

swede123
08-29-2005, 05:40 PM
You could run, and do pushups and situps. Kind of crude, but probably better than some half-assed machine.

Swede

RunDownHouse
08-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Watch Rocky IV. Take good notes.

Blarg
08-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Most machines don't have enough weight for bulking on many exercises, and isolate muscles too much. To put on bulk, you want full-body movements using heavy weights, and unless you're genetically gifted, you have to eat like hell to support it, along with getting plenty of sleep, because that's when most rebuilding is done.

Deadlifts, squats, bench presses, clean and jerks, pull-ups.

You can use your weightroom to get in much better shape, of course, but it's more set up to tone what you already have or build a certain limited amount of isolated strength.

You'd be better off doing something like recommended in Pavel Tsatsouline's book, Naked Warrior. I'm doing that now, and getting good results. Basically, it's doing one-armed push-ups and one-legged squats. Costs you nothing, you can do it anywhere, and the exercises are fairly hard.

Do 5 reps for 5 sets each limb, and when that becomes easy, do more sets, for strength. Add more reps if you want some more bulk, but strength work will give you some bulk too, if you eat a lot and really push your limits. You should be fine even for bulking with as few as 8 to 10 reps.

If that becomes easy, besides adding sets and reps, you can add weight. Hold a dumbbell to make the one-legged squats harder(it will add difficulty FAST because you're only on one limb) or raise your feet up on a step or a coffee table if the one-armed push-ups become too easy. Most people not already in excellent shape won't be doing either of those things too soon.

You're still pretty damn skinny. You should definitely put on some mass. Since you have to eat like hell to do that, you may put on some gut weight, or not, but you can whittle that down a lot easier than you can put on muscular weight in the first place, so don't sweat it. Plan to bulk up and slowly cut away any resultant fat.

I doubled my caloric intake and actually didn't gain any weight doing this, but I did gain muscle. My abs actually became more defined. The trick is, though, you have to be regularly submitted yourself to full-body hard strain. Not light toning or body-building work, or even endurance work. Full body exercises, like the ones I described, or the two bodyweight exercises I described. A good leg press is not bad, but a one-legged squat is probably better, as it activates the low back much more, which is a large muscle, and your core stabilizers all through your trunk and waist. That will release more growth hormone and shock your CNS more, to cue it in to release more hormones into your blood stream and pack on more muscle.

Think about these things, but not long enough to keep you from exercising. If you can't find a favorite exercise, just do something hard and heavy until you do.

Brainwalter
08-29-2005, 07:57 PM
You're the best OOT poster.

mason55
08-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm well aware of doing full body exercises which is why I'm not very happy with what I have at my disposal to work with at my apt gym.

I really like the idea of being able to do these exercises in my living room. Are there any good resources on the internet with at least a general introduction to the recommended way of doing these exercises? I will pick up Pavel's book but I'm interested in just trying these out before I run out and buy the book. Although it sounds like he has a lot more stuff in the book besides just the theory of these two exercises.

Lastly, I'm partially trying to get back to the gym because I don't look nearly as good as I used to. Is this the type of thing that will show visible improvement and bulking or is it just going to level out after I reach a point where I'm stronger but not much visually bulkier?

mason55
08-29-2005, 08:33 PM
Also... my lower body is in much better shape than my upper body. I play hockey year round and snowboard all winter, so I'm not hugely worried about developing tons of muscle downstairs. My upper body, on the underhand, is hugely undersized. I obviously am not planning to sit and do 20 bicep curls each day and nothing else, but my chest and arms need work.

Blarg
08-29-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info. I'm well aware of doing full body exercises which is why I'm not very happy with what I have at my disposal to work with at my apt gym.

I really like the idea of being able to do these exercises in my living room. Are there any good resources on the internet with at least a general introduction to the recommended way of doing these exercises? I will pick up Pavel's book but I'm interested in just trying these out before I run out and buy the book. Although it sounds like he has a lot more stuff in the book besides just the theory of these two exercises.

Lastly, I'm partially trying to get back to the gym because I don't look nearly as good as I used to. Is this the type of thing that will show visible improvement and bulking or is it just going to level out after I reach a point where I'm stronger but not much visually bulkier?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can take these exercises pretty far and get quite a bit of bulk, but it depends on how you do the exercises. Do them different ways for different goals.

You can actually become much stronger without putting on much bulk. That happens when you lift very heavy weights for few sets and few repetitions, and don't eat any more than normal, or not all that much more. Or don't get enough sleep. Eat more and generally take care of yourself better, and your chance of adding bulk goes up.

But to really bulk up, you want to add more repetitions. Instead of doing 5 sets of 5, you might want to try doing 5 sets of 8. But you still want to be using fairly heavy weight. If you can keep on going and going, the weight is too light and you should raise it till 8 is all you can do before it starts becoming very hard. This will keep you building the kind of fast-twitch muscle fibers that are most easy to have grow larger.

Don't train to failure. This can burn you out and slow down your gains, and is really only good if you're just trying to train your willpower or are on steroids. For the rest of us, training to failure will lead to needing more recovery time without adding any hypertrophy benefits, and will in fact go against them. The train-till-failure concept became popular in the bodybuilding mags, because all those steroid dudes both build and recover way faster than you do, due to the assistance of that chemical magic. What you should really do is avoid training on the nerve and wearing out your central nervous system by using a weight that is hard, but will still leave you feeling you have a rep or two left in you for that set.

Regarding hitting the limits on those exercises, since you can make them so much harder by adding weight or changing the angle of your body, you will be able to add a great deal of bulk with them for very little to no expense. There's a guy named Steve Cotter who is well known for doing one-legged squats with two 70 lb. kettlebells. This takes tremendous strength, as one-legged squats take balance and coordination to do, making them much more difficult than just the weight alone would indicate. A 170 lb. man carrying two 70 lb. kettlebells doing a "pistol," the name for the one-legged squat that has gotten popular, is doing something like a 620 lb. squat. (Take out some pounds for the weight of one lower leg and foot, which is below the mass being lifted, but add in much more than that in difficulty because of the balance, coordination, and trunk and abdominal stabilization needs in a pistol.) That's enough weight to get you VERY big. Even adding a couple of cheap dumbbells or a bucket of water will make the exercise dramatically harder.

The one-armed push-up similarly can be made more difficult by raising your feet up on a step, coffee table, etc. Alternatively, you can put on a backpack with a few books or bags of rice or sand in it. Just add more as needed.

And you can also make it easier. If you are working into doing the exercises and find them hard, start off by grabbing a doorframe or the edge of a table or sink to help you balance in the pistols. Cheat a little here and there if you have to. If one-armed push-ups are too hard, do them with your hands on a sink or a table or up a step instead of flat on the ground.

A pull-up bar will add in the pulling motion you need for a well-rounded strength/bulk program in only three exercises.

For discussion on these exercises, you can try dragondoor.com for their forums, and they also have some very good articles. For good fitness info, t-nation.com is very good on exercises, but much more sketchy regarding nutrition, and the forums can be very unbalanced, as sometimes they approach all of fitness as if everyone should have the same goals. However, the articles on fitness are very solid.

Here are some links on bodyweight training.

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=229

That one's a mindblower.

http://www.geocities.com/dirtyley/articles.htm

For a list of some good articles.

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm

Steve Cotter on doing the pistol, excellent stuff.

http://www.frixo.com/sites/fitness/exercises/handstand.html

This site has a number of bodyweight exercises, with good photos and descriptions.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Hoffman/YorkHandBalance/yorkhb1.htm

The old York Handbalancing Course

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=487126

Bulking tips for newbies, at t-nation

mason55
09-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Holy crap, this is so much harder than it sounds

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youd be amazed how complicated it can get, I was.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Heres a good list of exercises.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercisehtml.htm

you can select what type of equipment you have and whether you want to go with compound or isolation for each area you want to work. Its nice later on to change up your routine too.

the bodybuilding.com/forum is the equiv to bodybuiding as poker is to 2+2, many professionals post there.

sublime
09-02-2005, 06:20 PM
do they have free weights and a bar?

mason55
09-02-2005, 06:23 PM
negative

sublime
09-02-2005, 06:24 PM
many professionals post there.

or in other words, avoid this place.

go to hardganier.com and register for the discussion table. speak to real people who do real/safe/uberproductive workouts.

sublime
09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
negative

[/ QUOTE ]

eeeek.

are you against investing in some equipment? if not, you can buy a shrug bar that you can deadlift with (also works the quads in a way where the squat isnt really needed) add some free weights and just do chin ups and dips at the fitness center to cover your whole body.

Blarg
09-02-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youd be amazed how complicated it can get, I was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I was like, it's a friggin one-legged squat, how hard could it be? But with the balance and coordination you need, it's nasty hard! And a damn beautiful thing is that you can do it without spending a dime or cluttering up your place with equipment.

It's a pretty sweet exercise with hellacious upside to it.

I've found it great in the office, to warm up with when the air conditioning gets too cold or I'm feeling lethargic. Rattling off a few attempts with each leg very once in a while takes almost no time at all and is damn good for you. It also helps you practice.

Pistols are definitely a "skill-based" exercise, which makes them a lot more fun and interesting to me. You can progress most quickly by remembering to treat them as a skill to practice as much as a tough exercise. Find the groove, conquer the points that stick or where you become unstable, clean up your form and balance.

And for a little bit of minor sweetness, there's a certain fun show-off factor in being able to do them. The undeniable skill and strength involved are worthy of some earned pride, and give you bragging rights over even pretty strong guys, once you can do them.

To me it's amazing that an exercise could be this incredible without costing a dime, needing storage space, or needing some elaborate set-up or special facility. Just get up, lift one leg, and sit down. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Same for the one-armed push-up. You're not going to have to do many to get a great work-out, or be doing way more than most of your friends can.

mason55
09-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Yeah I'm working through the tips on one of the links you gave me. Gonna give these two a try and see how it all goes. Seems like a pretty sweet deal so far though.

IronDragon1
09-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Stop giving good advice on weightlifting before I can

Blarg
09-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Heh, I'm kind of excited about finding out some good stuff lately, so I'm trying to help other people catch the fever.

Just got an adjustable kettlebell myself. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Lots of fun and very hard experimenting going on lately.

mason55
09-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Man... so I was trying to do wall assisted Pistols... I got all the way down... tried to stand up, got about 5 inches up, screamed in pain and fell over.

This is definitely cool and very motivating. Going to buy the naked warrior tomorrow. Thanks so much for the tips. So much better than going to the gym.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 09:35 PM
I need to get a home gym too, i hate paying gym fees and driving 20 mins everyday.

sublime
09-02-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to get a home gym too, i hate paying gym fees and driving 20 mins everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

mason55
09-02-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you going to get though? Without a pretty big investment in money and space it's tough to get a full workout.

Blarg
09-02-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man... so I was trying to do wall assisted Pistols... I got all the way down... tried to stand up, got about 5 inches up, screamed in pain and fell over.

This is definitely cool and very motivating. Going to buy the naked warrior tomorrow. Thanks so much for the tips. So much better than going to the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, glad you're diggin' it. My legs are uneven and I cheat on my left leg -- it's both weaker AND less flexibile -- but both are getting stronger and the move is getting smoother over time.

On Naked Warrior, it's like 18 bucks at Amazon.com, and I think it's cheap at Overstock.com too. I think it's 11 or 12 bucks more than that if you pick it up at the bookstore.

By the way, NW is deceptively good. The real prizes there are the tips on how to tighten up and pressurize your core to prevent injury and increase strength, and ideas like "grease the groove" and other really cool strength tips you can apply to every exercise. THe pistols and OAPU's are two exercises Pavel uses to intensively illustrate these principles, but even if you do other exercises entirely, the book has value for what it teaches that apply to every other exercise you can do. It's got a lot of fluff, but seemingly paradoxically there's a lot of condensed good stuff there too that it's easy to skim by. I've read it several times, and expect I'll read it quite a few more.

If you like it, I suggest you pick up Power to the People after that. It is like a companion book to NW in a way in that it completes the power generation and "strength as a skill" orientation ideas in NW, but this time with a couple of barbell exercises.

The bulk of my work-outs are Naked Warrior's pistols and one-armed push-ups combined with PTTP's deadlifts. Once I work pull-ups or get enough weight for some heavy bent over rows, I'll have an upper body pulling motion and be pretty complete in only four exercises.

Popinjay
09-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Adjustable dumbbells, adjustable bench, and a pull-up bar. That is enough IMO to give a pretty solid workout.

sublime
09-02-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you going to get though? Without a pretty big investment in money and space it's tough to get a full workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

shrug bar

weights

somewhere to chin/dip

all ya need

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all I need are a bench and some free weights.

Blarg
09-02-2005, 10:07 PM
I've become a big fan of stretchbands instead of weights. You can do everything with them that you can do with weights, and many things you can't. And they weight next to nothing and take up no room. I even deadlift with them.

I also like kettlebells a lot, but they're pretty expensive. I have a 16 kg. one and just got one today that's adjustable from 16 kg. to 32 kg. (30-ish to 70-ish pounds). They're good for grinds and for things like weighted pistols and explosive training and balance moves. My long-term goal is to be able to match Steve Cotter's doing pistols with two racked 70 lb. kettlebells on his shoulder. That is a LONG arse way away, but what a hell of a goal to shoot for! I also want to try one-legged deadlifts with one and with two big kettlebells.

The only thing I miss having a barbell or dumbbells for is possibly deadlifts, since they're easier as far as positioning goes with a bar.

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Interesting. This is probably the most educational thread I've found on OOT.

I miss my free personal trainer from college /images/graemlins/frown.gif

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 10:09 PM
It is always exciting to hear about young guys interested in getting to know their bodies in the quest of adding some quality beef. I recommend a vigorous squat thrust routine.

Oh, and don't forget to get oiled up to show off that pump!

Whew! I'm working up a sweat just thinking about it. Now- get to work, tiger!

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Ok... so... you... me... and our avatars.... 2 on 3... sound good?

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 10:12 PM
I fear mason is an ectomorph, and will have a tough time gaining muscle.

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok... so... you... me... and our avatars.... 2 on 3... sound good?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fear mason is an ectomorph, and will have a tough time gaining muscle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truthfully... I have no problem gaining weight. At one point I was 215. I was dumb and just starved myself for awhile next thing I knew I was 165. So I'm skinny now but have no muscle. When I played hockey 7x per week (goalie) my legs were huge and built. I am just currently too lazy to go to the gym so rather than get muscle or get fat I just eat really poorly (1 meal per day) so that I don't end up a fat ass again.

I truthfully put on weight pretty quickly when I'm doing it right. When I had my free personal trainer in college I was eating well, using a protein supplement, and gaining muscle like a mad man. Unfortunately certain... plants... interfered with that plan.

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 10:26 PM
In all seriousness, I would order the kettlebells Blarg talks about. I don't have them but, from what I have read, those things are incredibly versatile. From interesting, VERY old school bulking routines to ripping off fat, I am convinced that those things are the ticket if you have limited space and don't want to shell out a lotta dough on a gym membership(the Fed-Ex guy will love you).

In addition to squats, hardcore sprinting it a hell of a way to develop leg mass (jogging is gay and counter-productive to your goals). It might help you cut back on those cigs, too.

Also, I would strongly suggest a high quality NON WHEY protien supplement. Beverly Nutrition has the best, IMO. It'll make getting 3000+ calories down a day a lot easier. Tastes great and minimal gas- a real problem with many protien powders.

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:29 PM
I am moving from DC to LA in a couple months and would rather not move a bunch of exercise equipment. I am going to try the Naked Warrior thing until then. If I'm not getting any results (and I know these things take time and I know what sort of results to expect in 2 months) then I will invest in kettlebells when I get out there. I just have enough stuff to move that I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything before I moved.

Why non-whey protein? I always heard whey protein was the best????

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Also, if you can devise or get access to something suitable for pull-ups they rock. Way better than pull-downs. I am assuming you have longer arms like me. I have never been able to do more than 12 or 13 quality reps but I can add weight on a waist harness.

A very effective, but often over-looked, movement.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Id like to know too.

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:34 PM
I have a pullup bar that i've moved around with me for two years. one of the in-doorway ones.

i'm up to about 20. when i started i could do 2.

i guess i should start adding weight instead of reps. but yeah. it's awesome. anytime i'm bored i just do pullups.

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Id like to know too.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm.... my quote is different from what i'm seeing on screen... i am very confused right now.

i could be drunk but i always thought whey protein was the best. maybe i was thinking non-whey though...

edit: the quoted post said "who said that!?!?" when i quoted it /images/graemlins/confused.gif

you'd think after 2500 posts i would know how to work this damn thing.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 10:35 PM
You may also want to pick up this book

Natural Hormone Enhancement (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=469560&highlight=Hormone+enhancem ent)

here is a small bit covering what its about.

DIET - The Natural Hormonal Enhancement Eating Plan

The Natural Hormonal Enhancement Eating Plan is a revolutionary departure from conventional diets, many of which actually stimulate lipogenic (fat-producing) hormones!

Unlike conventional diets, the Eating Plan is not based on restriction. Rather, the Eating Plan capitalizes on the drug-like effects that food has on hormone levels within the body to induce a "metabolic shift" from being a sugar-burner to being a fat-burner. As a fat burner, you will shed body fat like a mink coat on a hot summer day.

Stimulating lipolytic hormones is the key to automatic, accelerated, and permanent fat loss no matter who you are or what type of body you currently have. This is the missing piece to the fat loss puzzle!!

The Eating Plan is based on a super-advanced, next century dietary technology called macronutrient cycling (macronutrients are fat, protein, and carbohydrate). With this technology, you will be "cycling" meals as a means of stimulating high levels of fat-burning (lipolytic) and muscle-enhancing (anabolic) hormones. ~ Rob Faigin, Natural Hormone Enhancement.

I have not personally bought the book as i have my own system but based on reviews it might be worth it to try the eating plan.

sublime
09-02-2005, 10:37 PM
It is always exciting to hear about young guys interested in getting to know their bodies in the quest of adding some quality beef.

steve?

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Id like to know too.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm.... my quote is different from what i'm seeing on screen... i am very confused right now.

i could be drunk but i always thought whey protein was the best. maybe i was thinking non-whey though...

edit: the quoted post said "who said that!?!?" when i quoted it /images/graemlins/confused.gif

you'd think after 2500 posts i would know how to work this damn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i changed it because i was more interested in an explanation then who said it.

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Go Bucks????

I am waiting for the response from Mr. DarkForceRising about non-whey.

While I wait... how about a discussion on Creatine?

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Whey is digested too fast. For pre/ during/ post workout nutrition a super high quality whey HYDROSLATE protien is perfect. Fast uptake for those starving cells. First thing in the morning, too. The rest of the day, however (and particularly before bed), you are better off with slower release protiens such as egg, milk and meat (or their supplemental equals).

One could make the arguement that only the truly elite lifters need to concern themselves with this but, I've tried it all, man, and this gave me my best results.

That pre/during/post workout preparation should ideally consist of a 2 to 1 high glycemic type carb to protien ratio. This is crucially important for max results.

Blarg
09-02-2005, 10:45 PM
If you're not getting results, it will probably mean your sets/reps aren't tailored to your goals. That will be very easily correctable. It could also mean you're not eating enough.

Whey protein, I think he's saying, gives him gas. Unfortunately, I get gas from soy protein AND whey protein heheh. Some people say some blends are way more gassy than others, but it's hard to tell, as everyone's biology and things like lactose sensitvity are pretty different.

I ordered a brand called simply 100% Whey Protein from bulknutrition.com, and it doesn't get me too gassy. I get even more gassy from the couple of soy proteins I've tried.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go Bucks????

I am waiting for the response from Mr. DarkForceRising about non-whey.

While I wait... how about a discussion on Creatine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont use any supplements anymore. I know a lot of guys who spend 200+ on supplements a month and dont get hardly any gains. building muscle is all about nutrition and workouts. learning what to take in 20 mins before you go to the gym and what to eat after you go to the gym will give you max benefits. Those supplements you can buy i think only give people an excuse to not work as hard. And when you get off of them you will lose a little strength. I do use them to cut, but when bulking i think they are silly.

I do take a multivitamin (as everyone on earth should) I use Multi Pro-32X.

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One could make the arguement that only the truly elite lifters need to concern themselves with this but I've tried it all, man, and this gave me my best results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not one of those one's. When I had a full service gym my disposal and a personal trainer last summer, I lifted my ass of for 3 straight months. I also ate a perfect diet, used protien an creatine supplements as suggested, and saw AMAZING gains. Never seen anything like it in my life. I could see a difference from one week to the next, visibly. Unfortunately I'm far too lazy for all that now. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually I just don't have a full gym any more.

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Yes yes I agree. What split do you guys do (Fat/Carb/Protein)? When I was really working, I was doing 20/40/40, carbs pre-workout, protein post workout for rebuilding those beautiful muscles. The only supplement I've ever used and will ever use is creatine. I have to say it's amazing. But I lost 5 pounds of muscle in 1 month after I stopped.

Man... this is really motivating me to start eating right, stop drinking so much, and work out again.

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 10:50 PM
As a hockey guy you may also enjoy Charles Poloquins' routines. He trains a lot of NHL guys and has some really cool workouts- German Volume Training being one of the simplest and most effective ways to make fast, killer gains.

I believe Pavel Tsatsoloune (hope I spelled that right) is also a big volume training advocate.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 10:52 PM
instead of whey i would just use chicken or egg whites. whole food is better!

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pavel Tsatsoloune

[/ QUOTE ]

Full circle. This is what Blarg recommended in his first reply.

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes yes I agree. What split do you guys do (Fat/Carb/Protein)? When I was really working, I was doing 20/40/40, carbs pre-workout, protein post workout for rebuilding those beautiful muscles. The only supplement I've ever used and will ever use is creatine. I have to say it's amazing. But I lost 5 pounds of muscle in 1 month after I stopped.

Man... this is really motivating me to start eating right, stop drinking so much, and work out again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm getting pretty pumped, too, as I suck down Coronas and Camels! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, well. Lets face it- nobody ever claimed the lifting lifestyle was the healthiest. I'll take it over being a vegetarian, long-distance runner with big calves, a gut, no arms , no chest and no back any day.

Gotta deadlift, tomorrow. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 10:56 PM
heres a good post on post and pre workout meals.

and you guys can bash the site all you want, but it helped me with all my fitness goals, so :P

Thread (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067)

mason55
09-02-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm getting pretty pumped, too, as I suck down Coronas and Camels! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, well. Lets face it- nobody ever claimed the lifting lifestyle was the healthiest. I'll take it over being a vegetarian, long-distance runner with big calves, a gut, no arms , no chest and no back any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Effing right. Tomorrow I'm biking 20 miles. Tonight Im drinking a 12 pack of steel reserve and smoking a pack of kamel red lights.

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No question about it. Time consuming, though, and hard for the naturally skinnier guys to down enough calories. It sucks that it is so easy to inhale 8 chocolate chip cookies and, yet, a 130 calorie boneless, skinless chicken breast is work.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No question about it. Time consuming, though, and hard for the naturally skinnier guys to down enough calories. It sucks that it is so easy to inhale 8 chocolate chip cookies and, yet, a 130 calorie boneless, skinless chicken breast is work.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said he wasnt an ectomorph

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Effing right. Tomorrow I'm biking 20 miles. Tonight Im drinking a 12 pack of steel reserve and smoking a pack of kamel red lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's brutal. I'll feel a lot better about choking back the puke when I hit my tenth set.

Hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

mason55
09-02-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Far from it, although I did eat two chocolate chip cookies today.

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

6' 1" and 165? That ain't endo or meso.

mason55
09-02-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

6' 1" and 165? That ain't endo or meso.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am a meso at the least, endo at most.

anorexic either way.

DarkForceRising
09-02-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
heres a good post on post and pre workout meals.

and you guys can bash the site all you want, but it helped me with all my fitness goals, so :P

Thread (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067)

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick peruse seemed to indicate pretty solid advice, there. Good emphasis on that ever so important post-workout carb/protien fest.

-Skeme-
09-02-2005, 11:29 PM
I have a 15 lb bar, 2 15 lb weights, and 8 big Pepsi bottles that are filled with water and being tied to gather with shoe strings.. MacGuyver style.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 15 lb bar, 2 15 lb weights, and 8 big Pepsi bottles that are filled with water and being tied to gather with shoe strings.. MacGuyver style.

[/ QUOTE ]

isometrics rock!