PDA

View Full Version : What to do with straight on the turn?

Penguin
04-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Good 15-30. I have Ks10s UTG and call. MP, CO and B call. SB completes.
Flop is KcQdJc. Blinds check, I bet, MP folds, all call to BB who folds.
Turn is Ac. I bet my straight, CO and Button call. SB check raises.

CO is passive calling station. His call could mean anything from one pair to small flush.
Button is similar but not as passive and not as much of a station. His call means between 2 pair and straight, or flush draw.
SB is a decent and aggressive and sometimes tricky player. He could be doing this with say trip queens if he holds the Qc. But based on his play that session I felt he had a minimum of the straight.

So there were 10 BB in the pot when it was to me. Most of the time (80%) the CO and Button would also call. The SB will surely bet the River. I ...... (to be completed later).

What would you do?

astroglide
04-13-2003, 01:47 PM
i would FOLD PREFLOP, and i don't care how good the game is. it must not be that great if you're in that much of a pickle over a raise. unless your opponents are garbage, don't do this.

i would call and call the river unless it's another club because of your 80% read on the other people. many people will raise a straight there, and half the pot isn't bad if you've got a couple stragglers.

elysium
04-13-2003, 04:38 PM
hi penguin
you know what, the best play here is to fold. you may split this thing 3 ways and the SB has the flush, or someone else does. this is the problem with being out of position with this holding. you will win the minimum when you win, and lose the max when you lose. fold.

Penguin
04-15-2003, 12:10 AM
I folded. I figured that at best I was going for half the pot. So including having to call the river, I was at best getting 2:1 on my call. This didn't seem worth it considering I may already have been behind, with no redraw. My assessment was definitely coloured by the fact that I was up a lot, and that this was my first winning session in quite a while. I wanted to stay away from trouble.

The River was a blank. SB bet the river and was not called, but showed the 10c Jd.

PokerPrince
04-15-2003, 03:33 AM
I'll tell you the proper way to play the hand. Take your King-Rag suited from UTG and bullet-fold it as fast as possible. The game must be ridiculously PASSIVE for me to play such hands in EP.

PokerPrince