PDA

View Full Version : blackout shades

schwza
08-29-2005, 04:18 PM
i want shades that will make it very easy for me to sleep in. blackout shades aren't going to make it make it darkroom dark, are they?

shades (http://www.justblinds.com/products/blackoutshade.cfm)

jokerthief
08-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Get a blindfold.

Shajen
08-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Back when I worked nights and slept during the day I just put a t-shirt over my eyes.

It's free and works better.

swede123
08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
It just depends on how closely they fit over the windows. From the description the shades themselves don't allow any light to get through, but usually there's a bit of a gap where light sneaks in. You could just go to Home Depot or Walmart or whatever and buy any kind of "light blocking" shades. Usually they carry this and the "light filtering" variety, which lets quite a bit of light through.

Swede

durron597
08-29-2005, 04:26 PM
My friend duck-taped a blanket to his window, it worked but it made his room very hot.

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 04:27 PM
http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/subcommittees/emr/usgsweb/examples/exAlfoil.jpg

swede123
08-29-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My friend duck-taped a blanket to his window, it worked but it made his room very hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it also made him very hot in the eyes of all the girls who came to visit. Blankets fastened with duct tape is definitely 1.4.

Swede

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 04:28 PM
You need light-cancelling lamps. They work just like noise-cancelling headphones, only instead of producing sound waves 180 degrees out of phase with the ambient noise, these lamps produce light waves 180 degrees out of phase with the ambient light. I suggest you pick up a couple - they're well worth the price.

dibbs
08-29-2005, 04:30 PM
How dark do you need it to be to sleep? As I have a messed up sleep schedule and sleep during the day, I need it to be like pitch black to sleep, dont know about you though.

I find that having those plastic white pulldown shade things (the ones that whip up if you pull it down a little) with a somewhat heavy decorative shade over it works quite well.

Lazymeatball
08-29-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need light-cancelling lamps. They work just like noise-cancelling headphones, only instead of producing sound waves 180 degrees out of phase with the ambient noise, these lamps produce light waves 180 degrees out of phase with the ambient light. I suggest you pick up a couple - they're well worth the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me more about these "light cancelling lamps."
Are you telling me if I turn a conventional lamp on in my room, then point one of these badass LCL's at it, all of a sudden my room will be dark. I don't get it, and Google was useless.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you telling me if I turn a conventional lamp on in my room, then point one of these badass LCL's at it, all of a sudden my room will be dark. I don't get it, and Google was useless.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I'm saying.

swede123
08-29-2005, 04:35 PM
You're doing a good job playing along...or you're a sucker.

Swede

theghost
08-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Get aluminum blinds (as opposed to plastic, because metal will be opaque) from home depot/wherever and have them custom fit for your windows. Dark, but not darkroom dark (definitely good enough for sleeping until 3pm).

2-3 windows < $200

PITTM
08-29-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it also made him very hot in the eyes of all the girls who came to visit. Blankets fastened with duct tape is definitely 1.4.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. its rocks and rings.

rj

Lazymeatball
08-29-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign me up! I sleep during the day.

tek
08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/subcommittees/emr/usgsweb/examples/exAlfoil.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actually did that to my garage window. My wife hates it...

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actually did that to my garage window. My wife hates it...

[/ QUOTE ]

confession time: i did it to my apartment windows. yes, all of them. it's coming off soon though.