PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Poker games in resteraunt

08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I'm about to open up a resteraunt, and I was wondering if it was legal for me to host a poker game there. I'm thinking of hosting a poker tournament where the buy in is $20 and then a $2 entry fee that'll cover unlimited drinks. Is this legal?

kenberman
08-29-2005, 04:14 PM
sure, why not.

you should get strippers too.

Kevmath
08-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Where's the restaurant going to be?

MelchyBeau
08-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Call the DA in your area and ask this question. Don't go blindly into this with just the advice of people on the net.

Melch

08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I'm about to open up a resteraunt, and I was wondering if it was legal for me to host a poker game there. I'm thinking of hosting a poker tournament where the buy in is $20 and then a $2 entry fee that'll cover unlimited drinks. Is this legal?

[/ QUOTE ]In Maine it is not legal. I'm sure there are states where it would be legal. Check your local laws.

beset7
08-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Depends on the state. Probably illegal. You can throw a "free" poker tournament w/ cheesy prizes to get people to the bar in many states however.

betgo
08-29-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

[/ QUOTE ]

So the $2 entry fee is going to cover unlimited drinks, plus payoffs so you don't get raided.

08-29-2005, 09:01 PM
My guess is that you probably will not be able to do this legally, but it varies from state to state. Your best bet is to consult with an attorney.

Dbldaggers
08-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Most likely illegal as all hell.

Nice idea though.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif
DD

send_the_msg
08-30-2005, 05:01 AM
this would be perfectly legal with a game such as chess, but games of "chance" make it illegal i believe.

dcasper70
08-30-2005, 08:46 AM
In CT it's legal as long as there's no rake and all money stays among the players.

Good way to get more people in your place so they buy your overpriced beer and watered down cocktails. And WTF $7.99 for friggin nachos! NACHOS!!!! Those things cost you like 40 cents per order, you mfing theif!
You better offer free refills on the soda, cause I'm gonna flip the next time I see 4 cokes at $2.00 each.

Sorry, kinda wound up right now /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

08-30-2005, 02:19 PM
I could be wrong but I believe that if you (the house) take a rake or fee in anyway that is directly related to the game then it is illegal. I don't know what you meant by entry fee, but if you charge a "cover" to get in like some bars do, which is essentially the buy-in fee, you might be able to get around it.

But like every else said, talk to a local attorney.

chesspain
08-30-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about to open up a resteraunt, and I was wondering if it was legal for me to host a poker game there. I'm thinking of hosting a poker tournament where the buy in is $20 and then a $2 entry fee that'll cover unlimited drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love a business plan that involves losing money for no good reason.