PDA

View Full Version : help me plan a road trip

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 03:53 PM
i'm tossing around the idea of taking a road trip in december while i have a couple weeks off from work. here's what i've got so far:

denver > lexington > nyc > boston > rochester, ny (with numerous stops in ny on the way)

what i don't have is the return trip. of course i could just drive the shortest route back to denver from rochester, but i'm also open to seeing some other stuff on the way. any ideas?

(and yes, i realize a road trip in december through the northeast and midwest is not very smart. i'm not set on doing it yet, and that's something i'm considering. for now, indulge me.)

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I'd say 2 weeks is going to be tight if you're going to do this. I don't really have any recommendations for places to go, as everywhere between here and there could potentially be in a blizzard during this time.

tbach24
Buffalo > Toronto > Detroit > Chicago > STL > KC > Denver would allow you to see a bunch of different cities.

Fly to NYC and spend all your time here. Serious, there is no point going to other cities. There's enough here to keep you busy for a year.

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fly to NYC and spend all your time here. Serious, there is no point going to other cities. There's enough here to keep you busy for a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know. i've been there a lot and realize the scope of nyc's pwnage. that said, there are in fact people i want to see who are not in nyc, strange as that may seem. thus, your idea sucks.

Shajen
08-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Wait a minute! You're telling me there are people who live *outside* of New York City?

WTF????

08-29-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i know. i've been there a lot and realize the scope of nyc's pwnage. that said, there are in fact people i want to see who are not in nyc, strange as that may seem. thus, your idea sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have 20 million people here (metro). You can find people here that you would want to see. Skip the other cities. A minute spent away from NYC, is a minute of not living.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We have 20 million people here (metro).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but they're all [censored] New Yorkers.

tbach24
08-29-2005, 04:04 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have 20 million people here (metro). You can find people here that you would want to see. Skip the other cities. A minute spent away from NYC, is a minute of not living.

[/ QUOTE ]

So does this mean that I'm still not 1 yet? I guess I've really developed 1337 motor skillz if that's so.

08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We have 20 million people here (metro).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but they're all [censored] New Yorkers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So? The women are loose. (And so are the guys, if that's your thing).

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok fine, you're funny ha ha lolcopterskatesroflbbqetc. let's get back on topic.

mslif
08-29-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buffalo &gt; Toronto &gt; Detroit &gt; Chicago &gt; STL &gt; KC &gt; Denver would allow you to see a bunch of different cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Detoit is always so lovely to visit, especially this time of year /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hyde
08-29-2005, 04:23 PM
I can not help with your destinations.

BUT....read 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas', (search threads of last week for reviews) if you choose to adopt this stlye of vacation, the destination will matter little.

Though NYC will indeed provide for maximum entertainment right up until you almost survive your vacation....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buffalo &gt; Toronto &gt; Detroit &gt; Chicago &gt; STL &gt; KC &gt; Denver would allow you to see a bunch of different cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Detoit is always so lovely to visit, especially this time of year /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah so are St. Louis, KC, and Buffalo. He might as well stop by Toledo, Youngstown, Flint, and Gary, IN too. He wouldn't want to miss one smokestack.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea. that reminds me...? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BUT....read 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas', (search threads of last week for reviews) if you choose to adopt this stlye of vacation, the destination will matter little.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have also considered that as an option. the problem is i don't do drugs, and would prefer to not get arrested.

jakethebake
08-29-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the problem is i don't do drugs, and would prefer to not get arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

both good choices.

Patrick del Poker Grande
You definitely need to drive through Houghton, MI, then across Northern WI, MN, and ND.

swede123
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have also considered that as an option. the problem is i don't do drugs, and would prefer to not get arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy!

Swede

hyde
08-29-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid considerations.

I suggest you leave the country. Really. It's affordable.
England has some really nice, really old stuff.
France has the Louvre and some really cool old stuff.
Germany has beer halls and some really scarey, not so old stuff. A tour of Dachau will change your life forever.

the current suggestions look like "Tommy Boy"

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Germany has beer halls and some really scarey, not so old stuff. A tour of Dachau will change your life forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a joke, right?

IndieMatty
08-29-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a joke, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been shaking my head for a good 5 minutes.

RacersEdge
08-29-2005, 04:54 PM
In December, I would hang a right at Lexington instead of a left.

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In December, I would hang a right at Lexington instead of a left.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would actually love to go to atlanta, but the northeast is non-negotiable, and adding atlanta to the mix lengthens the trip considerably. or am i overestimating it?

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a joke, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

On what map are these between New York and Denver? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

swede123
At that time of the year maybe plan for a couple to three days of weather delays. Keep your schedule open enough that you're OK if you're held up somewhere on I-70 for a few nights.

Swede

swede123
08-29-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a joke, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

On what map are these between New York and Denver? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so damned rigid. How about this map?

http://www.aph.org/prodpics/globe_the_tactile-visual_c.jpg

Swede

08-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Once you've established that you're traveling to Rochester in December, there's really no wrong move.

jakethebake
08-29-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't be so damned rigid. How about this map?
http://www.aph.org/prodpics/globe_the_tactile-visual_c.jpg

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

All you crazy "world is round" guys...

hyde
08-29-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a joke, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
(and yes, i realize a road trip in december through the northeast and midwest is not very smart. i'm not set on doing it yet, and that's something i'm considering. for now, indulge me.)

Sorry I got off track. Thinking vacation and not indulging your tour of smokestacks and leafless countryside.

If you must spend your hard earned dollars on this tour try to swing through Washington DC. Excellent town. Year round.
As you are not set, I urge you to consider leaving the country for anywhere but the mid east....

Voltron87
08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait a minute! You're telling me there are people who live *outside* of New York City?

WTF????

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah for real.