PDA

View Full Version : Does your strategy change when luckbox has all the chips?

Vee Quiva
08-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Twice over the weekend I played in sits where a loose/bad player busted out 3 or 4 players in the early rounds making bad calls but getting the right cards. So play at the 3rd or 4th level looked like this:
Luckbox: 5000
Hero: 2000
Player 3: 1300
Player 4: 1300
Player 5: 400

My opinion is that the optimal strategy is to try and play pots with the chip leader with good cards in the hope to trap him and double up. Playing against the short stacks have limited implied odds and they short stacks tend to play tighter since they are so close to the money.

Does anyone else make this adjustment or do you continue with same standard strategy?

se2schul
08-29-2005, 03:38 PM
I alter my strategy. If near the bubble, I tighten up my pushing range against luckbox, cause he thinks that QTs is a monster and he'll call my push with it. If early in the game, I may limp with stuff I'd normally fold (suited connectors and such) simply because if I do hit, I am getting HUGE implied odds as you've said.

08-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Yesterday there was a guy at my table who knocked out 3 or 4 players at the river and was way behind each time. He also cracked AA twice (including me but it was early and I had him covered by a little).

I was a little confused on this too. This guy would call anyone to the river with anything and would call a pre-flop all-in with any ace any suited or any two cards higher than 9. I think playing very tight and then going all-in with AQ, AK or JJ, QQ, KK, or AA would have made the most sense if you had a full stack. I was only left with 300 after he called my AA all-in reraise with QJoff and the flop was 89T. So I tried to loosen up and call his limps to double through him after a good flop. Didn't work out though...but he went on my buddy list.

Vee Quiva
08-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Right.

It's probably better to push a little wider range of hands against the small stacks and to tighten up against the luckbox.

Of course in levels 3 and 4 were are probably not at the all in or fold stage just yet.