PDA

View Full Version : 88 utg - the bluff that wasn't?

08-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't read everything that is posted here but there don't seem to be many posts with bluff-raises. Don't you make them or are they too read specific and/or infrequent to be of interest? I feel like I almost never raise anything questionable on the river and would appreciate some help identifying good bluffing opportunities.

Party 3/6 6-max (4-handed)

UTG seems to be a tag and I'm pretty sure I've seen him bet-fold on the river before. I look like a tight nit.

Pre-flop: I have 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG.
I raise, everyone folds to BB who calls.

Flop: 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif2/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif
BB bets, I call.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB bets, I call.

River: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB bets, I raise, ...

BB played like a TAG and unless he was being tricky pre-flop or bet unimproved overcards to the river I think I can put him on something like A7, A9, K9 or something like a low pocket-pair or J9s. Since many taggy players at 3/6 do the bet-fold line on the river with marginal hands I felt a raise would stand a good chance of making my hand look like something that beats a pair of nines. Am I wrong?

RolldUp
08-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I really dont like the river raise here, with bb donking out into you on the flop, id put him on something like 8 10, 8 6, a7, k7, two of which are beating you and two of which will probably fold to a raise, so i really dont see any value in raising this river. I would have raised his bet on the flop, bet the turn and probably leaning towards checking behind on the river as opposed to bet/fold.

deception5
08-29-2005, 03:28 PM
I think 9x or better calls here.

Fianchetto
08-29-2005, 03:29 PM
It's unlikely he'll fold a better hand if he came this far with it; in fact I think it's more likely he calls with a worse hand than folds a better hand, so this seems closer to a value raise than a bluff raise. Either way I don't like your river raise.

I think you need to raise the flop, or raise the turn, you probably have the best hand, and you shouldn't be folding. If he is semi-bluffing you just let him draw cheaply, you need to charge him before the river.

deception5
08-29-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to raise the flop, or raise the turn, you probably have the best hand, and you shouldn't be folding. If he is semi-bluffing you just let him draw cheaply, you need to charge him before the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree, I like a turn raise here.

08-29-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's unlikely he'll fold a better hand if he came this far with it; in fact I think it's more likely he calls with a worse hand than folds a better hand, so this seems closer to a value raise than a bluff raise. Either way I don't like your river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about that. I think that in general 3/6 taggy players seem to like the bet-fold line and I had seen him do it earlier.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but he still doesn't have proper odds to draw if he is semi-bluffing unless he has T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and I was afraid a raise would fold a 7.

Well, I'm not married to the idea that it was a good play. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll ponder it some more before I make up my mind.

08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think 9x or better calls here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it is me that bet-folds too often on the river. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Roy6
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I think it's not a good situation to bluff since you represent missed overcards on the flop/turn, so only two hands (A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) are possible holdings for you as you played this hand (UTG raise, calling the turn with draw) that are 'legally' raising the river.

08-29-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's not a good situation to bluff since you represent missed overcards on the flop/turn, so only two hands (A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) are possible holdings for you as you played this hand (UTG raise, calling the turn with draw) that are 'legally' raising the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about high pocket-pairs? I call down heads-up and raise the river with them some of the time. Especially against players than can fold.

Roy6
08-29-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What about high pocket-pairs? I call down heads-up and raise the river with them some of the time. Especially against players than can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most pocket pairs raise the flop or at least the turn because they either need protection (TT/JJ), or simply for value (I'd raise the turn for sure with AA).