PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll requirements

shtolky
08-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I am currently playing 1/2 on empire (suffering through the hi's and low's of that wonderful site). I'm very close to 1k for my bankroll and I was curious as to how much it is recommended to have to begin playing 2/4. I've dabbled in 2/4 and 3/6 and have done quite well but I want to take things slowly, build up my bankroll. Any ideas?

hobbsmann
08-29-2005, 03:18 PM
300BB for a level is fairly standard. Most on this site like to have more though. Use the search function, you'll find plenty of threads on this exact topic.

thesharpie
08-29-2005, 03:19 PM
I think most have more than 300BB due to bonuses.

shtolky
08-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks, much appreciated. I'm fairly new with the posting so I'll try out the search function. I've heard 300BB, I'm just trying to adjust to the variance (which I must say I haven't gotten used to yet).

PITTM
08-29-2005, 03:22 PM
i play 3/6 6m. i just made 500 bets yesterday. my heart feels much warmer now /images/graemlins/smile.gif. id say go with 500 bets

rj

shtolky
08-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Teach me the secrets of not sucking at poker.

PITTM
08-29-2005, 03:36 PM
err, i reaized my original post made it sound like i was up 3k yesterday. my bankroll started the day at 2780 and finished at 3048 so i "made it to 500 bets", i didnt MAKE 500 bets.

rj

shtolky
08-29-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm currently at 800 and I seem to do better at 3/6 6 max than 1/2 full ring. Perhaps it's because I am so bad. How do you deal with the variance? Perhaps I should understand I'm in this for the long haul.

PITTM
08-29-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently at 800 and I seem to do better at 3/6 6 max than 1/2 full ring. Perhaps it's because I am so bad. How do you deal with the variance? Perhaps I should understand I'm in this for the long haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 max=much more enjoyable for me. mostly because i get to raise a lot. i deal with variance by having an adequate bankroll and sulking when my pokergraph is bad fro the day and then going to sleep. i love dealing with variance in +ev situations. it makes for more fun.

rj

shtolky
08-29-2005, 03:50 PM
My biggest issue is dealing with the variance. Adequate bankrolls are fine but it seems I deal with my play on a daily basis rather than looking at it in the long term. How do you guys keep the mindset that you must look at results weekly, monthly, yearly as opposed to each session? Or am I missing something completely fundamental?

peterchi
08-29-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest issue is dealing with the variance. Adequate bankrolls are fine but it seems I deal with my play on a daily basis rather than looking at it in the long term. How do you guys keep the mindset that you must look at results weekly, monthly, yearly as opposed to each session? Or am I missing something completely fundamental?

[/ QUOTE ]

Friend: Did you win today?
Me: I dunno, I think so
Friend: How much?
Me: I dunno
Friend: You wouldn't, you monkey.
Me: I dunno

When the thousands digit of your bankroll doesn't usually change on a daily basis, it's easy (and healthier, IMO) to be generally unaware of what happens day-to-day.

popesc
08-29-2005, 04:13 PM
For a really great discussion of bankrolls see this article from 2+2 mag (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue7/Chin0705.html)

gh9801
08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
500BB could be enough... 1000BB to be safe

PITTM
08-29-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i make graphs allthe time and look at them. if i get sad my 1 day sucked i look at the "ALL 3/6 6max hands" graph and feel much better. then i look at all the little dips on the way up and realize that the last session was just one of those dips, and figure that it will be corrected soon enough.

rj

08-31-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i make graphs allthe time and look at them. if i get sad my 1 day sucked i look at the "ALL 3/6 6max hands" graph and feel much better. then i look at all the little dips on the way up and realize that the last session was just one of those dips, and figure that it will be corrected soon enough.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing, I love that graph thread. I also look at my own graph over the last 150k hands and see the 20k hand breakeven streak, several +150bb downswing. Then I look at my total BB won and I feel much better