PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 party KoJack

dux
04-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Hmmm, I hate to post a hand that simply gets the response: preflop fold, but if that is the case feel free to say so.

Okay, so I'm in MP in a 1/2 game thats become pretty passive preflop, and its usually heads up by the time a river card comees, I get one EP limper, and I call with KJos - one person calls in from late, the small blind sniffs a bargain and it's 5 handed.
Flop K 9 5 rainbow
EP bets, I don't think this guy is any good, mostly because he bought in for $20, too small for a player worth his salt in my opinion. I raise to knock out the rest, succeed, but he 3 bets. Now, I figure, there are no decent draws here, I'm probly down, but is this a fold here? There is 10 small bets in the pot here, should I see a turn? The rest is history, I call the turn, it's an 8, I call a river bet, and the river is a K. I don't think much has changed here, exept the probablility of him having a K are decreased signifiganntly. I call.

Am I getting confused between tight/agressive and gambler when I gain the information preflop and still call the 3rd bet? And should i have folded when I failed to improve by the turn? There is no river raise here is there? Or should I have mucked it preflop and waited for a better hand?

Thanks.

Punker
04-13-2003, 08:38 AM
I would have raised preflop; KJo is not a hand you want to see the flop with 5 opponents against (folding is also an option). To be in position with a hand of some quality against one opponent is a dream situation for me.

Other than that, I likely play the hand the same as you. The bet or so you may lose on this hand will tell you a lot about EP's standards for play and whether or not your read of him as not a good player is correct.

RockLobster
04-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi There--

I don't play KJo from MP, it's too easily dominated by hands that others would call or raise with (AK, AJ, KQ), and loses the majority of the time to any ace or pair.

With that said, I would have considered folding after his 3-bet, but likely would have played it out. Then you'd at least have some info on what he 3-bets with on the flop but doesn't raise with pre-flop.

Hope this helps.

dux
04-14-2003, 01:27 AM
Ty for the responses, I gained the valuable information that he limps K9os from EP, therefore he filled up on the river. I think I'll fold KJo from MP, but my early impressions of many of the players at party is that it is easy to get heads up by the time the flop is dealt and bet them out of the pot.

Bob T.
04-14-2003, 12:41 PM
I think that you can play this hand preflop, but whenever I have big unsuited cards, and I am going to be second in from midposition on, I like to enter for a raise. I might cut the field down, my opponents might give me credit for more strength, I might get it headsup, and win the pot with a flop bet, and if I get action after the flop, I know that I am likely behind/dead on the hand, and it is easier to get away if that is what I need to do.

I didn't count the bets, but once you get to the turn, you are probably getting about 4-1 to call on the turn and river. If you have anysuspicions about your opponent, now might be the time to try them out, if you don't, I think that you are outkicked at least, and can probably also fold safely.