PDA

View Full Version : Pausers

08-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi all. My first post so be gentle..LOL.. I typically play 109, 215 SNL. EVERY table I seem to encounter the perennial pauser. Its the same every time, pause, pause, pause every hand then suddenly the quick bet bluff. My take on a continual pauser is that 90% of the time its a newby who watches too much ESPN. Interested in how others perceive it? We are not talking occassional lulls, each hand 15- 20 secs then fold, and of course the inevitable quick bet bluff 3-4 orbits later.

SlackerMcFly
08-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the forum.

You'll see a lot of "pausers" because so many people are mult-tabling. Takes an extra second or two to scan 4-8 (or more) tables and act on the one that needs your attention most.

Ignore it, get used to it, it's normal. Good luck on the tables! Gentle enough? SlackerMcFly

skipperbob
08-29-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the forum.

You'll see a lot of "pausers" because so many people are mult-tabling. Takes an extra second or two to scan 4-8 (or more) tables and act on the one that needs your attention most.

Ignore it, get used to it, it's normal. Good luck on the tables! Gentle enough? SlackerMcFly

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes the "pauser" has motor-skill deficiencies and/or is further wasting time by dealing with a bunch of nitwits on 2+2 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mr_J
08-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Well my decisions still only take a split second when 6tabling, so maybe I'm just not playing enough tables (well it's actually a hardware thing). 2+2ers are usually pretty damn slow, hold up my games...time is money.

Myst
08-29-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well my decisions still only take a split second when 6tabling, so maybe I'm just not playing enough tables (well it's actually a hardware thing). 2+2ers are usually pretty damn slow, hold up my games...time is money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, Ive found that my game has actually slowed down in the last month / month 1/2 since reevaulating my game. I try my best to really pay attention to all the action at my tables.

nycplayer
08-29-2005, 02:54 PM
I thought this too, until I did a search for the guy that was annoying me and this was the only table he was playing.

se2schul
08-29-2005, 03:03 PM
1) Maybe he's looking at pr0n and currently only has limited use of his right hand.
2) Maybe he has diarrhea and is running in and out of the bathroom.
3) Maybe he's on dialup.

Mr_J
08-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Or maybe one of these morons that think you'll be sweating if they make you wait. Hate those morons on the bubble. Pretend to think about calling (although they're probally not pretending) when if they do call I couldn't care less. Just another tourney.

Wolf101
08-29-2005, 03:50 PM
I suspect at lower limits, where I see this, their running the probabilities in the background, though I'm likely giving them too much credit.

08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
I have noticed another part of a trend for these individuals is to suddenly quick bet with no pause. I guess I am suppose to leap back in fear of the amazing hand they have that took no thought to go all in with? Watch closely and you will see the same trend. Majority of the time when the quick bet is called it has shown to be a bluff. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this as well.

mjm
08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm sure some players do this but i wouldn't read too much into it as an on-line tell.

As others have said, if your opponent is multi-tabling the response time will be based on which tables they are concentrating on rather than anything else.

valenzuela
08-29-2005, 05:34 PM
That pauser is probably a better poker player than you. In fact, if you work hard enough on your game you will be good enough to pause professionaly.

TheNoodleMan
08-29-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I typically play 109, 215 SNL.

[/ QUOTE ]
perhaps you are a not quite ready for prime time player.

Slim Pickens
08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suspect at lower limits, where I see this, their running the probabilities in the background, though I'm likely giving them too much credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... way too much credit. People habitually taking a long time at lower limits is either me learning to 8-table, or far more likely some donk figuring out if he has a "good feeling" about hitting his ignorant gutshot on the river.

08-30-2005, 08:35 AM
And if you get a dictionary you will be able to spell? What is your basis that they are better players? That is a very constructive comment and shows your obvious overwhelming intelligence. Perhaps you are one of those pausers that I run over on one of your infamous "quick bet" plays?

08-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Please elaborate? "Not ready for prime time" ? Is 109, 215 really prime time?? I usually play 2 - 3 tables at once so occassionally I do slow the pace somewhat but every hand and every play? 30 seconds to decide to fold while on the button with no raise in front of you? At a live table constant indecisiveness is considered a weakness.

PrayingMantis
08-30-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And if you get a dictionary you will be able to spell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I wonder how well do you spell (without a dictionary) while writing in your second or third language?

08-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Does anyone consider players' pauses when making their decision? If I raise preflop with AK in position, and the board comes down paired with no A or K, I'm sometimes less inclined to c-bet if my opponent takes a while to check. Likewise in a few other situations. Live this works beautifully, and I use it consistently, but online I don't trust it much and I don't.

08-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Usually any form of pause does not concern me. Villain could be contemplating a bluff or slow playing a monster. Some additional analysis is necessary so pausing would be natural and expected in this situation and would offer relatively little info. In live play visual cues in addition to the pause for thought can sometimes offer a legitimate read. Sometimes.....LOL

08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Well I wouldn't use my second language to make inflammatory remarks for no apparenet reason. It is very kind of you to jump in defend his statements. How rude of me to commnet on the spelling or grammar when he is insulting me in his second language.

08-30-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually any form of pause does not concern me. Villain could be contemplating a bluff or slow playing a monster. Some additional analysis is necessary so pausing would be natural and expected in this situation and would offer relatively little info. In live play visual cues in addition to the pause for thought can sometimes offer a legitimate read. Sometimes.....LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

In live play, I've always abided by the concept that it doesn't take much thought to check with nothing. That coupled with the fact that bluffers tend to act quickly makes playing more weak/tight against a slow-acting opponent +EV live, IMHO.

My concern about using this online is mainly that my opponent may just be distracted or having connection problems.

PrayingMantis
08-30-2005, 11:10 AM
You are too sensitive.

Phill S
08-30-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I wouldn't use my second language to make inflammatory remarks for no apparenet reason. It is very kind of you to jump in defend his statements. How rude of me to commnet on the spelling or grammar when he is insulting me in his second language.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insulting anyone for spelling and grammar is stupid and is one of my pet hates about 2+2.

In fact Valenzualas comment wasnt too bad, just a little too sarcastic (another 2+2 trate i hate) - you just couldnt come up with a good come back when you percieved him as attacking your playing ability.

Phill

08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
LOL.. So you subscibe to the "all professionals pause on every hand" theory as well then? Maybe you shouldn't watch so much ESPN..

Phill S
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
He was clearly joking.

You clearly dont get it.

Phill
edit: for the record, never seen ESPN before.

08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif LOL.. Boy I did miss that one! First post so was little sensitive. Funny thing is I used his exact statement on a table recently. Ok.. Taking my paxil and will be back later.