PDA

View Full Version : Things that frustrate me Part 1

helpmeout
08-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Since I've recently lost the war with tilt I am going to start posting about situations that give me the shits.

Hopefully by doing this myself and others will be better equiped at dealing with them.

Part 1 HU with a loose/semi passive with Ace high out of position or a Non showdownable hand with position (k or Q high at best)

This type of player is a mixture between loose passive and loose aggessive although mainly passive. He will frequently call bets, sometimes raise as a bluff/big hand, he will also bet a lot when checked to but not enough to make checkraising better than value betting.

Situation 1 - Ace high out of position

You have say A8o SB vs BB you are SB you raise preflop LP calls.

Flop comes mixture of cards you have no draws to add to your no pair.

How often do you autobet here?
How much does it depend on the flop texture and if so what sort of flops do you check/fold or check/call?

So like most I autobet loose passive calls. Turn card comes no improvement.

Do you check/call check/fold or bet?

As above what sort of boards will you bet and which do you check/fold?

River comes you miss now comes the real dilemma.

If you have been betting all the way do you check/fold check/call or bet?

When do you do each? Do you mix it up

If you checked turn do you now call a bet on the river since you showed weakness?

How does the board cards determine which path you take?

Situation 2 Q8o steal unimproved.

Now we have position with a hand that really cant stand a bet on the river unimproved

Pretty much 2 choices I see both include betting the flop.

1. Is bet the turn assuming he is on a weak draw/overcard hoping he will fold.

2. Is check the turn and check fold the river unimproved.

How often do you do each and what type of board will you do each on.

Do you ever not bet the flop?

Now these questions are for both hands/situations.

What sort of things do you do to combat these types of opponents from taking shots at you when you show weakness but also collect enough when you are good?

If you checkraise what sort of hands do you checkraise with? When do you do it?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

08-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Part 1

With A high I bet autobet the flop every time. No thoughts and no regrets about it.
Betting the turn depends on my read of how often he will call with worse than A high and how often he folds the turn.
Usually this is a bet. Having 2 to a flush on the flop makes me learn towards betting again.

Part 2

On an A high board I bet Q8 w/ position almost every time.

The only exception is against people with a very high % of check raises.

If I get called I give up UI. Im just not betting again.

I check behind most other boards and give up UI. My attempt to take the pot was with the PF raise not with flop aggression.

helpmeout
08-29-2005, 09:23 PM
bump

beset7
08-29-2005, 09:39 PM
It's hard to respond to your post with a lot of specific examples without authoring a text on the subject. Posting some hands might be better?

But I do want to say that with A-high OOP I autobet a lot, check sometimes planning to fold and check sometimes planning to raise. It depends mostly on who the villain is. On the turn, knowing when to fire that second barrel is more art then science and also depends on the game.

No need to go broke in crazy pissing matches with aggro counterparts. Also, just because its short doesn't mean we can start trying to bluff calling stations. Just a few thoughts. Hard to more specific without hands.

helpmeout
08-29-2005, 09:44 PM
I'll look for some hands after I tried to find some last night but i was too tired.

The main problem is you are raising preflop for value as you expect your opponent to call. When you check the turn you lose initiative and the value from the preflop raise.

When you both miss he wins more often because you lose initiative when you check.