PDA

View Full Version : Difference between addiction and trying to be the best?

08-29-2005, 12:05 PM
I started poker recently and have been diligent in reading books, playing, and reading the forums. Whether it was school or sports, I was intense about whatever I was trying to accomplish because of the competition.

So, a friend tells me that I'm "addicted." I asked why. And he says that because for the last few weeks I've spent so much time playing, and reading about, poker.

I don't know how else to get better if I don't put in the hours at the beginning.

MediaPA
08-29-2005, 12:14 PM
To me, it's a fairly simple line, probably too simple.

It's a addiction if it starts to negatively affect other areas of your life (work, family, friends, activities, etc.). If not, then you are just working hard towards something that you have an interest.

Edit Material: Imagine having a new girlfriend. You are usually going to put in a lot of time and effort to making that work. It'll likely take up the majority of your time and be on you mind constantly, possibly have a slight impact on other areas of your life. Is that being 'addicted?' I don't feel it is. It's just what comes with having a new interest.

Sniper
08-29-2005, 12:22 PM
The most successful people all have a burning desire to succeed and will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

If you are addicted to something that is +EV overall, then its a good thing! As long as it doesn't negatively impact some other area of your life, and then it really isn't +EV to your life is it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

08-29-2005, 12:29 PM
True but I think in all endeavors where someone is trying to be among the best it will have a negative impact on other areas of life.

For example, John Coltrane practice 18 hours a day. Michael Jordan practiced all the time. Robert Evans (movie producer) worked 20 hour days. Donal Trump allegedly sleeps 4 hours a night.

So, apparently they spent less time with kids/family, exercised less, and so forth.

revots33
08-29-2005, 01:33 PM
People equate gambling with addiction. If you spent hours practicing the guitar or learning to speak Italian, no one would call you addicted. "Addicted" carries a negative connotation that probably reflects on the person who said it's attitude towards gambling.

But, I don't agree that you need to forsake other areas of your life in order to become a successful poker player. It's just uneccessary. People like to compare it to a pro athlete in training but I just don't buy that analogy. Poker is a card game - one that can be studied and practiced, definitely - but there's no reason a card game should take over your life.

I think that many people are in fact addicted to playing poker, but use the argument of "I'm just dedicated to improving" as the rationalization for ignoring every other person and thing in their lives.

Sniper
08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True but I think in all endeavors where someone is trying to be among the best it will have a negative impact on other areas of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, it doesn't necessarily have to work that way!

Second, you should strive to minimize any negative impacts, and also ensure that the reward is appropriate to the impact.

So, if you are making millions of dollars from your efforts, then the net benefits outway some of those negatives. But, if you are negatively impacting other areas of your life for a few thousand dollars a month, it may not be worth it!

08-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Use your judgement. If you think you might becoming addicted then set a time frame to stay away from playing. Say 1 day. Then continue playing. If you feel you didn't give yourself enough time to prove to yourself or others then make it 2 days 5 days etc.

I agree if it is affecting your work or personal life it should be looked at. It takes alot of time to become a good player. I heard there was a guy on Dr. Phil I think that said he equated losing at poker an education equilivant to getting an MBA. He chose poker as an education. He tried to defend the fact he was down $100K but now down only $70K. He rationalized his $100K investment was now starting to pay off. I don't agree with that, but whatever.

I also havea friend that claims all the time I and another friend are addicted to poker cause we play alot. I don't have kids and would rather stimulate my mind than watch t.v. in a mindless state. Funny thing is the moment he finally got a home computer he was asking me for poker sites to play on (/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

Just ask the people around you what they think if you value their opinion. I just know I need a break now and then and take one.

Good luck

pottie
08-30-2005, 05:15 AM
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7972/image00720tg.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

deacsoft
08-30-2005, 08:20 PM
My addiction is trying to be the best.

wegs the wegs
08-31-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People equate gambling with addiction. If you spent hours practicing the guitar or learning to speak Italian, no one would call you addicted. "Addicted" carries a negative connotation that probably reflects on the person who said it's attitude towards gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think revots hit the nail on the head for this one. Anyone who does not play poker will be very quick to call one addicted to the game of poker if they see one playing for more than a few hours. Why they do this I do not know. My guess would be that in the back of most minds out there gambling is seen as evil, so anyone playing for an extended period of time must be consumed in this evil.

I've been called addicted to poker, but I know it simply a misinformed opinion. My whole life I have followed these 'fads' that come and go with the times. As a kid I played baseball, baseball, and more baseball. I wanted to be the best. No one called me addicted. When golf got big I got into that. I spent everyday one summer at the practice range, I played for my high school team, and simply loved the game. I wanted to get good. No one called me addicted. Back in the day I would play video games for hours and hours, I loved the multiplayer strategy games. I wanted to be good. No one called me addicted, lazy, but not addicted.

Now I devote my free time to poker. I have a lot of free time. I am not addicted to poker, just extremely passionate. I know everyone says that though, but like you say, I want to get good. Personally I think this is one of the better crazes that I have gone through, it's much less expensive than golf.

Just be careful, keep up your schooling, watch for warning signs, and be willing to take a break from the game every once in awhile.

AZnuts
08-31-2005, 09:57 PM
My sister-in-law, the psychologist, had a similar view about me, mostly because of the number of books I've read and how engrossed I became in poker.

But, the word "addiction" is much over used today. Generally, it should only apply to a combined mental & physical condition as is the case with substances such as drugs and alcohol. (I know, true gambling addiction causes similar brain chemical changes).

No one accuses someone of being "addicted" to reading mystery novels even if they spend 30 hours a week at it.

Obsession or compulsion is a different story. Anything can fall into those categories. Some people are obsessed with work, or compulsive with cleaning.

In the case of poker, this may be an over-simplified criterion . . . but if you're a losing player and continue to lose beyond your means with no effort on improving, then you MIGHT be "addicted" to the gambling nature of it. Or, you may have more disposable income.

Beyond that, how's poker different from spending $2,000 on golf equipment for the entertainment and challenge aspect?

P.S. My sister-in-law's opinion has changed of late. After knowing me better, and my general drive to do things well, and my $ to show for the effort, she no longer sees it as unhealthy.