die_rich88
08-29-2005, 11:51 AM
I am ordering some new poker books, here is my current wishlist:

1. Poker essays I
2. Inside the poker mind
3. psychology of poker
4. Mastering No-limit holdem
5. Professional poker by blade

I am thinking of ordering 2 or 3, so which one do u think will help my game the most?

Henkeman
08-29-2005, 12:37 PM
So, what is your game?
(I'd say books 1-3 are good)

amulet
08-29-2005, 03:26 PM
you suggested;
1. Poker essays I (GOOD BOOK)
2. Inside the poker mind (GOOD BOOK)
3. psychology of poker (OK BOOK)
4. Mastering No-limit holdem (NOT VERY GOOD)
5. Professional poker by blade (NO)

I suggest all of the following books, they are all terrific, and they are in no particular order:
The Theory of Poker
Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players
Small Stakes Hold 'em
Harrington on Hold 'em Volume I
Harrington on Hold'em Volume II
Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players
High-Low Split Poker, Seven Card Stud and Omaha Eight or Better for Advanced Players
Sklansky on Poker
Gambling Theory and Other Topics
Getting the Best of It
Inside the Poker Mind
Middle Limit Holdem
Poker Esasys I
Poker Esasys II
Poker Eassys III
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players

FrankStallone
08-29-2005, 05:11 PM
I would just get maybee two books at first.You wont be reading them one time, and you will find that the more you stick with one or two books until you really get it, the better off you will be. I would check out Barry Greensteins Ace on the river and maybee theory of poker or hold em for adavenced players or some pairing like that.I really don't know if you are just starting or have some backround, either way you will be reading and rereeading both books so don't get too many where you can just skip around and get lost. That is my humble opinion. Don't get more than you can eat at once. Or you will throw it all up and it will smell. Also Frank Stallones cd's act as a great concentration tool at the table.

AliasMrJones
08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. Mastering No-limit holdem (NOT VERY GOOD)

[/ QUOTE ]

die_rich88
08-30-2005, 01:45 PM
sorry i wasnt more specific, I am mostly a limit player but do occcasionaly play the NL cash/tourneys. I play mostly 3-6, but also 2-4 and 5-10. As far as experience goes, I would say I am somewhere in between intermidate and advanced I suppose.

A quick question, do you think Inside poker mind is geared more towards beginners or more experienced players?

08-30-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry i wasnt more specific, I am mostly a limit player but do occcasionaly play the NL cash/tourneys. I play mostly 3-6, but also 2-4 and 5-10. As far as experience goes, I would say I am somewhere in between intermidate and advanced I suppose.

A quick question, do you think Inside poker mind is geared more towards beginners or more experienced players?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have purchased that book after I read "The Psychology of Poker." I wish I would have purchased them in reverse order. ITPM is literally a collection of essays of just that, the "Poker Mind." The Psych of Poker is more of a playbook once you have determined how to classify, and rate players. Both are great books don't get me wrong but The Psych of Poker allowed me to move up to 5x's my normal limit once I grasped the concepts and understood how to apply them. Someone else's take may be completely different, but, learning your own strengths and weaknesses may take you to a completely different set of "reference" based material. After all, no two people are exactly alike. I hope that helps.

MarkD
08-30-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Inside the poker mind is not a beginner's book. I highly recommend it if you are trying to transmition to higher limits. It is excellent.

Amulet's list contains most of the good books.

die_rich88
08-30-2005, 08:11 PM
hmm interesting, I am defintley gonna get "poker mind", but I am curious about Professional poker by blade.

I've read some the reviews in this forum, and while I guess most of them are bad review, at the same time if the book can give me one or two fresh ideas den I think its definitley worth the price. Maybe you guys can provide me with some insights. Is the book totally worthless, even bad (in that it give wrong advice)? Or does it just basically give out useful but widley known knowledge and nothing really new? Does it have at least a few fresh ideas?

Last but not least, I have a question about poker essays. Does the book talk alot about math? like probablity and all that stuff. If so, den I personally would not buy it.

- thanks