PDA

View Full Version : just starting out

08-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi all

I'm new to the board, been reading off and on and only recently starting to post. I'm interested in joining the online ranks, primarily SnG's. I play one live tournament a week, but I'd like to play more often to improve my game. Of course I'd like to make money, but I'm not looking for this to be a huge addition to my income, I mostly just enjoy the competition.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on how/where to begin playing SnG's? Anything in particular to read that you found helpful? Stuff of that sort.

Thanks!

bluefeet
08-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend you start on a site with 1500 starting chips (PokerStars and UltimateBet are two of the larger ones). This will allow you to gain more post-flop experience and even broaden your pre-flop options a bit, compared to the 800chip games on Party/skins.

Harrington on Hold'em, Volume I would be worth picking up. You'll find a pretty good definition of the starting hand requirements, PF wagering, and some post-flop play. Some of the recommendations in here are better suited for the larger start chip SnGs, like the ones suggested above.

I'm not sure how much money you're willing to start with. There are certainly more optimal strategies to building a bankroll (rake considerations, hourly rate, rakeback accounts, etc.) - but if you're just starting out, I would put 150-200 on Stars, and play the regular $5 SnGs. They're a little slow (hour'ish), but the starting chips, blind structure, and overall pace of the game would best suit your just starting on-line. 30+ buy-ins will give you time to get your feet wet, without facing immediate ruin (let us hope /images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Make sure to read through the FAQ on this forum. Understanding before hand some of the abbreviations, hand posting tips, etc., etc. will make your stay here more valuable.

Good luck to you!

EnderFFX
08-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Let me give you advice that I've given to my friends:

1) Find a good rakeback and sign up, get paid to play, when you are running even you build your bankroll, and when you are down it keeps you afloat.

2) I think you should pick the easiest tourney site out there, aka the party skins. You can learn post flop play later, right now you need to get used to the sng play, learn how to play at each level, get a good feel of NL SnG.

3) In the beginning (first 2-3 levels) tight is right.

4) Always make your opponent make the decision. When calling you should generally be ahead and know you are ahead.

5) At the end of a SNG (4-5 people or less) aggression is key. WHen you put all your chips in, try and be the first one in the pot unless you have a monster.

6) When you are under 10 BB you have two decisions, push or fold. (unless you are the BB then it is check/push)

7) In the beginning you will lose, experience is the best teacher. Don't give up, play smart, and ask a lot of questions.

These are general rules, they do not account for the many exceptions, but it should get you in the right direction.