PDA

View Full Version : haggling/negotiating prices

lucas9000
08-29-2005, 10:40 AM
obviously there are some markets where haggling/negotiating the price are standard, eg, cars, drugs, whores. also there are some contexts where it's just not done, eg, fast food, groceries, etc.

i'm curious as to what people have haggled for that might be a little out of the ordinary (in the sense that maybe people don't usually haggle the price for it, or most people wouldn't think to do so). i have a feeling i've missed out on some opportunities.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I've haggled fruit and drink... but that was in Central America.

turnipmonster
08-29-2005, 10:55 AM
when I was really young and touring our tour manager used to routinely talk fast food/pizza/dennys type places into giving us free food. that guy could talk anyone into anything. you always have to have an angle, we're in a band/hockey team whatever.

you can haggle at farmer's markets, state fairs, jewelry shops, pretty much anyplace that's not too corporate. any kind of place where the owner is either present or working, you can usually get the price down.

--turnipmonster

Randy_Refeld
08-29-2005, 10:55 AM
One that I think a lot of people miss out on is hotels. There was a recent thread about tipping for an upgrade in Vegas but often the person at the desk can charge basically whatever they want (well they have multiple rates to pick from).

turnipmonster
08-29-2005, 10:57 AM
yes this is very true. our tour manager used to always get them to give us the senior citizen's rate, etc. this works in cafeterias as well.

swede123
08-29-2005, 10:59 AM
I have a friend who'll haggle just about anything, by picking the floor model or a box that has some damage on it. Usually this works at places like Walmart, since they just want to get rid of their crap, and even if they sell it for 50% off they make a solid profit.

Swede

jackdaniels
08-29-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend who'll haggle just about anything, by picking the floor model or a box that has some damage on it. Usually this works at places like Walmart, since they just want to get rid of their crap, and even if they sell it for 50% off they make a solid profit.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

This is accurate. A friend of mine says you can negotiate ANYTHING. It may or may not always work, but he has succeffully negotiated lower prices on any item imaginable (from fast food to hotel prices). He tells me it is always easier when the owner/manager is on the premises, but has been successful even when they are not (usually because said owner leaves behind instructions that basically say "make the sale - even at a discount").

His most common closing line is: "I have cash right here, if you are a businessman you will take it and make the sale" as he is holding money in his hand. Most people want to make that sale and agree. As for technique - he says it is ALWAYS easier to negotiate out of friendship (so he makes friends FIRST with the person he negotiates with).