PDA

View Full Version : Ciaffone Hand from PL-NL Poker

goingbroke
08-29-2005, 10:09 AM
You have about 100K in chips and is in LP you make an small raise with AA and the big blind calls(same stack), there is about 8K in the pot flop is 10d6h4s, BB checks he recommends cheking because he respect his opponent, what everyone thinks of this line?

AZK
08-29-2005, 10:10 AM
"it depends"

punter11235
08-29-2005, 10:29 AM
My humble opinion is that checking is pointless and wrong here. Cause you are almost surely ahead and you dont want to give freecards. As simple as that.

AZK
08-29-2005, 10:35 AM
free cards to what? A 5 outer?

n1bd
08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
You left out some important info from the original problem. This hand was from a tournament (day two of WSOP main event) and the players involved in the hand were the two biggest stacks.

Post-Oak
08-29-2005, 10:52 AM
I think you need to provide more context. Unless my memory fails me, he was talking about a hand in a tournament (WSOP) where he was up against the only other big stack.

Obviously, this is a different situation than a cash game.

08-29-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to provide more context. Unless my memory fails me, he was talking about a hand in a tournament (WSOP) where he was up against the only other big stack.

Obviously, this is a different situation than a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this make him want to play more aggressively here though, as if the other big stack backs into a set or 2 pair, this is gonna cost a lot of money?

SoSo
08-29-2005, 12:09 PM
in tournaments u rarely want to tangle with other big stacks its safer just to steamroll the small stacks.

08-29-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in tournaments u rarely want to tangle with other big stacks its safer just to steamroll the small stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I mean. Here, the weak/tight play is to bet because, well, your opponent's folding a huge % of hands.

Slappz
08-29-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have about 100K in chips and is in LP you make an small raise with AA and the big blind calls(same stack), there is about 8K in the pot flop is 10d6h4s, BB checks he recommends cheking because he respect his opponent, what everyone thinks of this line?

[/ QUOTE ]

He explains why he took that line in the book. The whole purpose of the hand was pot control in the tournament against another big stack, and by checking the flop he could make sure that he wont go broke if his opponent has him beat.