PDA

View Full Version : trips over trips should i be scared?

PoKeRPooT
08-29-2005, 08:50 AM
played alot of poker this weekend, twice I limped in with mid pok. pairs and caught trips. but so did my opponent only with much higher holdings....is this very rare and i only saw it because i played many hours of poker? or is this something I should adjust my game for??? if so how do you???

crunchy1
08-29-2005, 10:03 AM
What's "a lot"?

SippinSoma
08-29-2005, 11:23 AM
24 posts...man, that's a lot.

08-29-2005, 11:43 AM
well, lee jones said that if you lose with a set and don't lose a lot of money then you did something wrong. but i think you need to be aware that your opponents will be holding sets from time to time and there are signs that indicate that sets are a possibility. for instance:

1. how does the texture of the board compare to what you thought your opponents might have pre-flop. like is it super uncoordinated and your opponent a late position limper. or is there an ace on the board, etc.

2. also, how much are they willing to fight you on the betting. are they willing to take it to 3 bets or even cap it.

3. what type of player(s) are you against. are they the type of player that would play the necessary pocket pair the way they did from the position they are in. or are they the type of player that would say cap the flop with top pair of 8's Ace kicker.

4. also, it's possible that if the pot is large enough handed that your opponent may be capping the betting as a value bet on a draw.

5. and last, do they have a pocket overpair.

usually, if i think that my opponent might have a set i slow down a bit, but still try to get some bets in since it is still unlikely that if i have a set they do as well.

then again you could probably just play it like they don't have a set and in the long run find that your sets are still quite profitable.

even, though you might also think about which set you have. because if you bottom set there are 2 possible sets that beat you, if you have middle set it may be just as or even more likely that your opponent has the lower set as the higher one, and if you have top set, assuming an uncoordinated flop, you have the nuts.

TheHammer24
08-29-2005, 11:46 AM
I played party once and was dealt QQ. The Flop came QT9. I was play NL for some reason. Anyway, it was three handed on the end and we showed down QQ, TT, and 99. Sorry for giving you no content at all.

08-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Can't worry about set over set. Just happens sometimes. Most times you are going to lose a few bets, b/c too often people play overpairs or two pairs the same way. For example, I limped 33 the other day, 4 other limpers. Flop was k32, I got into a raising war with another player, I think I eventually slowed down the river, and he showed KK that he limped preflop. But don't look at it as, "oh I lost 8BB and I should have known better." Read the preflop action, read the board, and read the action postflop and try to put your opponent on a range of hands. You don't want to put in bets when you are likely behind, but also you want to put in bets when you're ahead. So don't lose any sleep over it.

KramerTM
08-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Never worry about this. Especially in Limit! I don't even worry about this in NL, but that's another topic for discussion.