PDA

View Full Version : Cluster Headaches

SammyKid11
08-29-2005, 07:14 AM
No, they're not migraines. If you don't know anything about them, they're basically ten times as short as an average migraine, but also about 15-20 times as painful. Some sufferers literally contemplate suicide and ask others to kill them or knock them unconscious.

Anyway, my girlfriend who I live with gets them, they are REALLY REALLY bad, they affect her almost every day. She's been to one neurologist who seemed to know nothing about it, one GP who absolutely knew nothing about it, she stopped having them (not through the course of any medicine) for a little over a year...but now they've started up again.

These things are like nightmares, and I would do anything to find something that worked for her. She's taken all the usual meds (Frova, Imitrex, etc.) -- but she and I have heard about other remedies. I wondered, if, by some long-shot...someone here was either a sufferer or knew someone who was a sufferer of Clusters and knew of something that gave you or that person some relief.

Any replies welcome. Thanks.

bishopstrt
08-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Girls who get headaches = nightmare

Run for the nearest exit and do not look back. I do not envy you. Chicks with headaches are no fun at all. This from experience.

SammyKid11
08-29-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Girls who get headaches = nightmare

Run for the nearest exit and do not look back. I do not envy you. Chicks with headaches are no fun at all. This from experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I appreciate the advice, and her headaches can be a pain in the ass...but I'm not running anywhere. This might as well be my wife, but neither of us are really "into" the idea of marriage. Nevertheless, we've been together almost 5 years, living together 2...so, I'm not goin' anywhere.

Anyone have any advice that isn't "leave her?" /images/graemlins/cool.gif (not that I begrudge the advice, but...won't work for me)

radek2166
08-29-2005, 07:37 AM
High flow O2. O2 is used for H/A.

I think the RX is 100% for 15- minutes if I remeber correctly

bishopstrt
08-29-2005, 07:49 AM
okay I feel bad about my previous advice. If she's legitimately ill and not just a drama queen then I'm sorry. I went on google to look up cluster headaches and this is the first article I read and I found it kind of curious. Now if she doesn't drink at all then I guess I apologize for the second time.

[ QUOTE ]
Sensitivity to alcohol during a cluster bout occurs in at least half the patients, and cases when the bout remits (Friedman and Mikropoulos, 1958); this alternating, on-off vulnerability is pathognomonic of the cluster headache syndrome. Patients who are sensitive to alcohol note that attacks are triggered within 5 to 45 minutes after the ingestion of modest amounts of alcohol: usually less than a single cocktail or glass of wine. The vast majority have noted that their sensitivity is less than total: alcohol triggers attacks in 70 to 80 percent of exposures. This factor, together with many patients' misinterpretations regarding inquiries into their drinking habits, may account for the low incidence of alcohol sensitivity in several reported series (Sutherland and Eadie, 1972; Symonds, 1956).

[/ QUOTE ]

cluster headaches article (http://www.clusterheadaches.com/about.html#Precipitating%20Factors)

SammyKid11
08-29-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
okay I feel bad about my previous advice. If she's legitimately ill and not just a drama queen then I'm sorry. I went on google to look up cluster headaches and this is the first article I read and I found it kind of curious. Now if she doesn't drink at all then I guess I apologize for the second time.

[ QUOTE ]
Sensitivity to alcohol during a cluster bout occurs in at least half the patients, and cases when the bout remits (Friedman and Mikropoulos, 1958); this alternating, on-off vulnerability is pathognomonic of the cluster headache syndrome. Patients who are sensitive to alcohol note that attacks are triggered within 5 to 45 minutes after the ingestion of modest amounts of alcohol: usually less than a single cocktail or glass of wine. The vast majority have noted that their sensitivity is less than total: alcohol triggers attacks in 70 to 80 percent of exposures. This factor, together with many patients' misinterpretations regarding inquiries into their drinking habits, may account for the low incidence of alcohol sensitivity in several reported series (Sutherland and Eadie, 1972; Symonds, 1956).

[/ QUOTE ]

cluster headaches article (http://www.clusterheadaches.com/about.html#Precipitating%20Factors)

[/ QUOTE ]

No need at all to apologize...I appreciate your and the above poster's efforts. I'll pass along the info...thanks.