PDA

View Full Version : I need a mattress: thrift store option?

captZEEbo1
08-29-2005, 05:12 AM
I'm looking to get a cheap mattress. How many of you guys got one from a thrift store and had everything work out. My parents are saying crap about bed bugs or termites or something and I'm skeptical.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
08-29-2005, 05:16 AM
i wouldnt buy a mattres from a thrift store.

shant
08-29-2005, 05:18 AM
This sounds like a great way to get ass herpes.

thatpfunk
08-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Are you serious? Don't you play 25-50? jesus.

08-29-2005, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? Don't you play 25-50? jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Running bad, baby, running bad....

krazyace5
08-29-2005, 05:52 AM
One of the things you should never ever, ever buy used is a mattress.

craig r
08-29-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying I would buy a used mattress, but how is this different than sleeping in a hotel/motel bed?

craig

smokingrobot
08-29-2005, 05:58 AM
a mattress is the last thing you want on the cheap.

a buddy of mine sold mattresses for a while. your folks are right to be weary.

a mattress just from bacteria will weigh about twice its original weight after about 10 yrs.

think about all the sweat that gets soaked up into it from whoever was sl;eeping on it and if they were clean, and let alone any other stains on a mattress.

also, this is the thing you are sleeping on every night. you want to be comfortable.

you dont have to break the bank to find a good mattress. i'd suggest going to a mattress store near the end of the month when a salesman has already hit his bonus, you could probably talk him down quite a bit.

08-29-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying I would buy a used mattress, but how is this different than sleeping in a hotel/motel bed?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is you're only sleeping on one guy's jizz.

MarkL444
08-29-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

well you dont really have a choice if youre at a hotel. and its not every night.

codewarrior
08-29-2005, 06:08 AM
EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Does that answer your question?

krazyace5
08-29-2005, 06:10 AM
I also saw a thing about cheap "new" mattresses.
When people buy new mattresses they usually can get free pick up for their old ones. These are then recovered to look new, but they are still nasty inside.

You spend alot of time in bed, you might as well get a decent one. You can save money on lots of other things.

PLOlover
08-29-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't think you should have a King or Queen size if price is such an issue and if you have a full or twin or whatever a brand new mattress is <100.

jakethebake
08-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Wtf? You can get a cheap mattress and boxspring from one of those outlet places for <$100. Why buy one used? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

citanul
08-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Ikea, as well, has cheap mattresses, and they are actually not bad at all.

And you won't have to sleep in some random douchebag's ass-sweat.

citanul

Los Feliz Slim
08-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Don't let the bedbugs bite!

Seriously.

ChipWrecked
08-29-2005, 10:31 AM
http://www.entomology.ucr.edu/ebeling/figures/fig331.jpg

Sponger15SB
08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to get a cheap mattress. How many of you guys got one from a thrift store and had everything work out. My parents are saying crap about bed bugs or termites or something and I'm skeptical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost convinced this is a joke post and you are just messing with us.

turnipmonster
08-29-2005, 10:56 AM
how about just spending a couple of big blinds on a good mattress?

TheWorstPlayer
08-29-2005, 11:01 AM
You play NL25/50 and win 90% of your sessions. Please spend the money on a mattress which will not ruin your back and infest you and your girlfriends with nasty diseases. Thanks.

theghost
08-29-2005, 11:08 AM
story (http://www.eyewitnessnewstv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3777833)

[ QUOTE ]
City hopes to prevent another bed bug infestation as students return

BOSTON It's a ritual for many college students as they return to Boston for the fall semester: Grab some old, used furniture left on the sidewalk for the new apartment.
But that seemingly good deal can quickly go bust when students realize they've also picked up an infestation of bed bugs with their free stuff.

This year, Boston officials are trying to take discarded furniture from the neighborhoods surrounding the city's colleges before it's scooped up by students.

And beginning later this week, flyers will be distributed to students that warn of the dangers associated with using the old items.

The city will also ticket homes that leave unwanted furniture on the curb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indiana
08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Screw the cheap mattress. Get a Kingsdown and u will sleep good like Indy.

Indy

captZEEbo1
09-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Well I decided I wasn't going to get a thrift store mattress, but never got around to buying one yet. So I've just been sleeping on the floor for the past few days (which isn't as bad as you think). Then I just visited my friend who is in the on-campus apartments, and he has an extra one, so I'll be picking up that brand new free mattress asap /images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. To all you naysayers who are just like "SPEND ONE BB DOUCHEBAG!!!", just because I HAVE money, doesn't mean I want to BLOW money.

Sponger15SB
09-02-2005, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
P.S. To all you naysayers who are just like "SPEND ONE BB DOUCHEBAG!!!", just because I HAVE money, doesn't mean I want to BLOW money.

[/ QUOTE ]

PS, you're retarded if you think you're "blowing money" when you buy a nice mattress (or even a $300 mattress) instead of buying some sort of piss stained crab infested thrift store mattress.

thatpfunk
09-02-2005, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PS, you're retarded if you think you're "blowing money" when you buy a nice mattress (or even a $300 mattress) instead of buying some sort of piss stained crab infested thrift store mattress.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Do you realize how comfortable nice matresses are? They are honestly worth the money.

HesseJam
09-02-2005, 08:03 AM
I'll never understand why you wouldn't be willing to spend a lot for the mattress that is the most comfortable to you. Trying to find such a mattress is way more painful than spending $500 or whatever on it.

HopeydaFish
09-02-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can Mr. Crathit have another lump of coal for his stove, Mr. Scrooge?

Jeezus dude...if you consider buying a mattress as blowing money, what *do* you consider as being essential???

Freakin
09-02-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Do you realize how comfortable nice matresses are? They are honestly worth the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a mattress thats like 1500 or 2k... I gladly would have paid twice as much for it.

Can you sleep on a shitty mattress and be ok? Of course, just like you can 4-table at 1024x768. What kind of monitors do you have?

Freakin

TheWorstPlayer
09-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Agree with everyone here. A mattress is one of the most important things you can spend money on. Right after hookers and coke. Just spend one BB, you douchebag.

fnord_too
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I would not buy one from a thrift store. If you have an "Original Mattress Factory" in your area, I'd check them out. They were by far the best value I found, and they weren't scumbags unlike a lot of the other options in this area.