PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a couch

shant
08-29-2005, 02:03 AM
So I'm finally moving to my own apartment and I am going to buy a new couch because of this situation (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2424450&Fo rum=f20&Words=couch&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=241 8979&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=19116&daterang e=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&body prev=#Post2424450) and just because I'd like to have a nice new couch. I think choosing the right couch is super important, so I figure I'd get some thoughts from you guys. Keep in mind I'll be watching TV, playing poker, taking naps, and doing lots of other couch activities on this couch for a couple years at least.

The store I'm thinking of going with is called Futurama and it's down the block from my house. They offer the couches I'm linking below in pretty much any color and a couple different fabrics, so don't worry about the colors listed on the site.

If you've got other suggestions for rad couches I should check out, or any other furniture places, give me some links.

Here are the ones I'm considering. My budget is in the range of how these are priced:

a) The Speed (http://futuramafurniture.net/sofas/speed.html)
b) The Continental (http://futuramafurniture.net/sofas/continental.html)
c) The Bel Air (http://futuramafurniture.net/sofas/belair.html)

2+2 wannabe
08-29-2005, 02:05 AM
the first one - and it's not really close

Eurotrash
08-29-2005, 02:06 AM
these look kind of 70s or something.

that said, I like the Speed

W. Deranged
08-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Shant,

Go with the Speed, man. It's definitely the best. Do you see why?

Anyway, the third one (Bel-Air) is pretty lame in my opinion.

CardSharpCook
08-29-2005, 02:14 AM
Very retro. And yes, I've got the need... the need for...

SippinSoma
08-29-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TimM
08-29-2005, 02:17 AM
Do they come in leather?

shant
08-29-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do they come in leather?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. They're all available in a leather, or leather type material. I'm not sure if it's real leather or not, but they have that type of material in other colors.

08-29-2005, 02:32 AM
yuk to all. don't forget the yin-yang coffe table.

JaBlue
08-29-2005, 02:33 AM
I don't like any of them unless you're George Jetson

Cancer Merchant
08-29-2005, 02:36 AM
Unless your car has tailfins, try another store.

shant
08-29-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Self improvement is masturbation, right?

ThaSaltCracka
none of those couches look comfortable.

shant
[ QUOTE ]
Unless your car has tailfins, try another store.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you guys have suggestions for other places? I don't really want IKEA furniture.

08-29-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Self improvement is masturbation, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm still undecided

TimM
08-29-2005, 02:48 AM
This one has a cool name (http://www.sofaweb.com/productsd.asp?SubID=4&SessionID=3661880&Stylename= Bellagio)

Dynasty
08-29-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking '60s.

poker-penguin
08-29-2005, 02:50 AM
You're buying furniture from a shop named after a cartoon series?

Also, unless you know where you are moving to, I wouldn't buy large furniture yet.

I'd buy a double bed futon sofa type thing. Nice wood frame, handy for unexpected guests, v comfy.

Eurotrash
08-29-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking '60s.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you're right. but even if I was off, it was only by a decade.

shant
08-29-2005, 02:59 AM
I know where I'm moving. September is my last month in my current apartment and I'm slowly moving into the new place over the next month.

HolyBejeesus
08-29-2005, 03:26 AM
This is very apartment/furniture-dependent.

chuddo
08-29-2005, 03:40 AM
an important couch factor is its length.

it should be long enough to allow a 6'2" person to comfortably crash on it.

this is usually about the same length for three guys to sit on it without being on top of each other.

i personally am also a fan of couches that sit low to the ground.

KDawgCometh
08-29-2005, 04:00 AM
i wne with number 3 cause it looked like the type for someone to crash on, which I can expect your bro to be doing a lot of, unless of course he will be living with you, to which he will probably still be crashing a lot on the couch /images/graemlins/grin.gif. that being said, be sure to remember that I'm loaded right now, so everything I say can olnly be taken as such

RunDownHouse
08-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Out of all those, I say #2. A very important part of the couch that gets overlooked is the arms. On 1 and 3, the arms look like they're at a right angle to the seat. That's never as comfortable when laying down as something more rounded, even with pillows.

For fabric, get ultrasuede if you can. Its comfortable, looks nice, and its easy as hell to clean. I got a new couch last September and went with ultrasuede, and I'm very happy with it.

jakethebake
08-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Welcome to 1968.

swede123
08-29-2005, 08:59 AM
If you want a couch for aestetic value either of these would work (I assume your house/apartment is all trendy and stuff. However, if you really want to use this to lounge on, sleep on etc. get yourself an oversized one. All these look like they need more padding.

Swede

jakethebake
08-29-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
none of those couches look comfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

They look horribly uncomfortable. Like they belong is a museum lobby or something.

citanul
08-29-2005, 09:17 AM
i like domicile.

citanul

edit, though considering your pricerange, and the fact that i don't know where you live, you might want to also consider design within reach. (which isn't nearly as affordable as it sounds.)

mslif
08-29-2005, 09:29 AM
The speed is definitely the better looking one, I think it looks pretty sharp and I like the color. I am not sure how comfortable it is though.

08-29-2005, 09:31 AM
so none of those look comfortable for couch activities such as sleeping...and I'm pretty sure you can get a whole living room set for the price of one of those couches(i.e. couch, love seat, coffe table , and end tables for like $1500)...you definately want something softer...and might i suggest an over sized chair with an ottoman...just got one and i love it...don't even care about my couch anymore

jakethebake
08-29-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i suggest an over sized chair with an ottoman...just got one and i love it...don't even care about my couch anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Since I got one, I hardly use the couch at all.

Bulldog
08-29-2005, 09:34 AM
Boomerang!

(Or, of those three, the Speed.)

Shajen
08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Life is too short to have a shitty couch.

For about 5 years I had a "dorm couch".

2 years ago, I bought this couch in ferrari-grade leather. Oh so nice. It is so soft and comfy it's hard to get up. This is the reason I'm a fat slug now. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif (The color isn't right in the picture, but the shape and design are correct)

http://www.leathercreations.net/Stationary/9441/9441.gif

tbach24
08-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Go with a futon, you won't regret it.

swede123
08-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah, this is the stuff I'm talking about! Obviously some people are too hip and with it to have furniture that looks like a couple of cows, but to me couches are comfort first and looks second. Oversized leather is the bomb diggity.

Swede

PokerBob
08-29-2005, 11:40 AM
do they have a [censored]-proof version?

TheWorstPlayer
08-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Sorry dude, I have no constructive input, but these couches all look bad and uncomfortable. Just go with some nice leather. It looks and feels great.

TheWorstPlayer
08-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Now THIS looks like a good couch (don't really like those fluffy looking bottom cushions - I prefer something a bit firmer, but whatever - it's the right idea.)

IndieMatty
08-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Try BO Concept. I actually really dig the Bel Air one for overall practicality and standing the test of (style) time.

TheWorstPlayer
08-29-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try BO Concept.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good call. I personally also really like stuff from Design Within Reach (http://www.dwr.com/).

shant
08-29-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try BO Concept.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good call. I personally also really like stuff from Design Within Reach (http://www.dwr.com/).

[/ QUOTE ]
DWR was my first choice, but they're a little expensive. I'm gonna pick up a few things from them like a bookshelf and lamp. Someone told me to check out Z Gallerie. I'll check out BO too, thanks for the heads up.

durron597
08-29-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go with a futon, you won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheWorstPlayer
08-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Sure thing. DWR stuff is like 3-4K I suppose, but looks awesome, IMO. Just add a few tables and you'll be there in no time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

swede123
08-29-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure thing. DWR stuff is like 3-4K I suppose, but looks awesome, IMO. Just add a few tables and you'll be there in no time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at the DWR site and awesome would not be the first word to describe their selection.

Swede

TheWorstPlayer
08-29-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at the DWR site and awesome would not be the first word to describe their selection.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
But I can guarantee you that I'm not the only guy in the world who is willing to pay 4K for one of their couches.

shant
08-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Wow, BO Concept has nice stuff. I guess I've never heard of it because it's an East Coast store, but I'd like to see this couch in person:

http://www.boconcept.us/Default.asp?ID=10429

Shajen
08-29-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I can guarantee you that I'm not the only guy in the world who is willing to pay 4K for one of their couches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid $3000 for the couch and $2000 for the matching love seat. (The pic I linked above)

It was a bit of an extravegance, but you should have seen the couches I had before. Good Will wouldn't even take them. They were hand-me-downs from a Clemson dorm. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Shant, you got weird taste in couches dude. Or maybe I do. I don't even know anymore.

shant
08-29-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shant, you got weird taste in couches dude. Or maybe I do. I don't even know anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I totally agree with you on comfort. Your couch looks like I'd sink into it and sleep for days. It just doesn't hit me on the looks side. I'm looking for a more modern design, like the DWR or BO Concept stuff. I've since been slightly turned off by the original retro ones I linked just because my friend who had one told me he had to get rid of it because he ended up realizing you need something that is more timeless.

tbach24
08-29-2005, 02:09 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Wow, BO Concept has nice stuff. I guess I've never heard of it because it's an East Coast store, but I'd like to see this couch in person:

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that couch a lot, but seriously, a futon is awesome especially since it makes for an extremely comfortable bed as well.

TheWorstPlayer
08-29-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that couch a lot, but seriously, a futon is awesome especially since it makes for an extremely comfortable bed as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
A futon is a utilitarian answer. But eventually you get an 'apartment' with 'bedrooms' which contain 'beds' and then your need for a 'futon' decreases and your need for a stylish 'sofa' increases. I like the BO one. Nice choice.

08-29-2005, 02:40 PM
[censored] yo' couch

oddjob
08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
ugh, anyone who picked couch number 2 still thinks that miami vice is the greatest show ever, they also probably have a lot of neon plastic "art" of animals in their house.

the 1st couch is slightly less heinous then the 2nd one. i'm amazed that this is the most popular choice, but then again, that's why mcdonalds and olive garden does so well, and hilary duff's new album is at the top of the charts, and cookie cutter house complexes are everywhere. most people have very crappy taste.

the 3rd one is the most classic looking, but not spectacular.

as someone else suggest DWR is a great choice. though it is expensive. if you could spend like $600 more, the case study couch is one of the best couches you can get. very very attractive.

if you can't, i'd go look at room and board. dont' know if there's one close to you, but they have very attractive couches between $1000 - $2000.

i beg of you, do not get the 1st choice that everyone is telling you to, unless you plan on having 80's coke parties all the time.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
I can't believe Jake hasn't been in here yet.

Eurotrash
08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

look more closely.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

look more closely.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, then I can't believe I haven't seen a certain animated gif in here yet.

Eurotrash
08-29-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, then I can't believe I haven't seen a certain animated gif in here yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh, I know what you mean now. wtf is the deal with that couch gif anyway?

B Dids
08-29-2005, 04:40 PM
I like the arms on the speed a lot. Very functional, good for holding stuff. Hopefully it comes in other colors.

CaptSensible
08-29-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic
08-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Ha! I lived right around the corner from Futuramaand was going to buy the Speed couch - but then we moved to Vegas...

cool store, cool couches.