PDA

View Full Version : How does a non-AOL user access rgp? n/m

01-02-2002, 08:38 PM
n/m

01-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Matt,

For up to the minute postings use the newsreader in your email program such as Outlook Express. Some independent browsers such as Opera also have newsreaders Once we know the newsreader, we can help you set it up.

One of the best pure newsreaders is Forte Agent. They have a free version called Forte Free Agent which I and many others use. I have a link to their web site below. If you download it I or someone else can help you set it up (it's easy).

For checking out RGP or any other newsgroup archives, use Google's newsgroup search, accessible from Google's home page. Look for the power search feature. Google only scans the newsgroups about four times a day so it will be a little behind on active threads. But it is great for reading old stuff on a specific topic.

There are other web based newsgroup readers but I find them unwieldly. Newsranger would be an example.

Regards,

Rick

01-02-2002, 09:27 PM
I used to be able to get to RPG from favorite links. Now I get a screen that says Netscape User Prompt. Enter username for discussion group server access. I don't have a user name, don't know how to get one. Never had to do it before. Can you help. Thank you.

01-02-2002, 10:47 PM
Ed,

You probably want to enter this data directly into the Netscape Newsreader and Email program (I think it's called Messenger - I don't use Netscape anymore but I'm pretty sure that is the name for it). Then you can tell your Messanger email program to remember this and a password.

Your username is supplied by your ISP and is usually the first part of your email address or your whole email address. For my earthlink account this would be "ricknebiolo".

You also generally have to enter a news server name, which is also supplied by your ISP. For earthlink it is news.earlink.net. Other ISPs are similar.

If you have Outlook Express, Free Agent, or Opera I can walk you through.

Regards,

Rick