PDA

View Full Version : The Phold has another chance

Clarkmeister
04-12-2003, 12:40 PM
And he won't take advantage again. WIth TIger totally out of the picture at +5, I like Wier, Toms and Olazabal in order. Wier has been playing so solidly all year, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see him hang on, though I'd be shocked if it didn't get close at some point. I think Toms has what it takes to come from behind, and obviously Jose-Maria does.

Phold will make his typical big run before his also typical blowup, followed by the patented belated re-rally.

Vijay simply isn't a good chaser. Every tourney I remember him winning he was very very close to, if not on the lead.

Clarke simply doesn't have a consistent enough short game to win on this track.

We shall see. Phil certainly is in as good a spot as he could ask. My money says no.

JTG51
04-12-2003, 03:12 PM
I think you've got a pretty darn good read on it Clarkmeister. It'll be real interesting to see how Wier holds up on Sunday afternoon assuming he's still at or near the top. He looks like he should be able to handle it, we won't know till then though.

I really like Toms, I don't think there's any way he's going to back up. He'll be right there coming down the stretch Sunday.

Olazabal just amazes me. It seems like this is the only tournament he contends for every year. I can't help but root for the guy. He really is as good around the greens as people seem to think Phil and Sergio are. I just love watching him get out of the spots he puts himself into.

As for Phil, what can you say. I always have and probably always will root for him. I sure wouldn't put any money on it though.

My money is on Toms.

Clarkmeister
04-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Of course, I made the fatal error of thinking that Tiger at +5, 11 shots out of the lead and in last place entering the 3rd round was out of it.

Whoops.

IrishHand
04-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Never underestimate the power of divinity. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

JTG51
04-13-2003, 02:14 AM
Amazing.

I can't see Maggert shooting better than a 75 Sunday. Weir looks like he doesn't quite have what it takes. Mickelson is still Mickelson. It's going to come down to Singh, Toms, or Tiger. I wish Tiger could have made one more birdie so he could be paired with one of those two. Should be a fun day for golf fans.

I can only imagine what Mickelson is thinking tonight. He must have been thinking he was finally going to get a chance on Sunday in a major without Tiger in his way.

Clarkmeister
04-13-2003, 02:19 AM
Don't forget about Jose Maria. He's paired with Tiger and both are at -1. Maggert's putter was on fire at the end of the round. If he hadn't missed at 15 it would've been like 6 in a row. Still, its been 12 years since the winner wasn't in the final group. Hard to say he's got no chance, but I'm certainly skeptical.

Vijay seems to be a bit too inconsistent, so I'm ruling him out. I think Weir still has a big shot. He was still striping it off the tee and hitting fairways on Sunday will give you a big chance. I'll stick with my pre-3rd round choices of Weir, Toms and Jose.....oh, and I guess I'll add in that Tiger guy.

TobDog
04-13-2003, 11:45 AM
See man, no faith in Tiger, just when you wrote him off, back he comes. I still think that is too far back to win from for him, but well see today.

Clarkmeister
04-13-2003, 12:29 PM
4 strokes definitely isn't to far for Tiger, especially when there aren't many players in between.

I think that anyone starting the day at even par has a legitimate shot at the jacket. I wouldn't be shocked if someone at +1 made a big run, but that's likely too far back given the quality of the players up top.

I can't wait!

JTG51
04-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Don't forget about Jose Maria.

I really like Olazabal. I doubt he'll be bothered at all by playing with Tiger. I just don't think he has the firepower to win from where he is. I think it's going to take a low number to win it today, I'm not sure he has that kind of round in him.

scalf
04-13-2003, 01:45 PM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif tiger big +2.25 to 1..ez cash...in the bank..lol..gl /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif