PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday...

STLantny
08-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Ive been mulling over things for the last couple of months, with all the politics, tsunami's etc. But, the saying goes those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Is the US ignoring a segment of history with our reliance on oil, and trying to police the world etc? I mean, gas prices are already up there, Ive read that if this hurricane hits bad enough, it could actually mean a terrible "doomsday scenerio" for the oil biz. Does anyone else have the feeling that we are just at a catalyst of events that will basically nail the our way we live our life, changing it forever? Does anyone else think like this, or am I just buying into the wrong [censored]?

Sponger15SB
08-28-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or am I just buying into the wrong [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely.

But you can be the first to tell everyone "I told you so" and we all promise to not get mad.

Dynasty
08-28-2005, 11:30 PM
People see doomsday scenarios all the time.

LethalRose
08-28-2005, 11:32 PM
I think you're reading into it a little bit too much. However it is very common after a major disaster for gas price, fuel prices in general to go up in price.

08-28-2005, 11:33 PM
This is nothing.

Cuban Crisis, WWII, 1979, Vietnam, disco, and so on.

STLantny
08-28-2005, 11:36 PM
If this thing knocks out significant quantities of refining capacity ... we're going to be in deep, dark trouble," said Ed Silliere, vice president of risk management at Energy Merchant LLC in New York.

The market has been on edge for months, with traders and speculators buying on the slightest fear. With Katrina, all those fears could be realized, Beutel said.

"Basically I could spill a can of oil at my local gas station and you'd see the price of crude go up by $1 per barrel," he said.

Crude settled at $66.13 a barrel Friday on the New York Mercantile Exchange, down $1.36 after hitting $68 last week.

Along with overextending things with our military etc, it just seems that we are either going to severely screwed, or we are going to change the way we live drastically and fix everything.

STLantny
08-28-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is nothing.

Cuban Crisis, WWII, 1979, Vietnam, disco, and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think doomsday was the wrong word, I should have said the world as we know it. I just get the feeling that we are on the brink of a huge social/political/eco change like those things you mentioned brought about. Sans disco, hopefully.

08-28-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else have the feeling that we are just at a catalyst of events that will basically nail the our way we live our life, changing it forever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. But you have to realize a few things;

1. we are promised nothing
2. things change
3. it's not about us (we will all be replaced, just as we replaced others)
4. it doesn't matter

Bartman387
08-28-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're reading into it a little bit too much. However it is very common after a major disaster for gas price, fuel prices in general to go up in price.

[/ QUOTE ]

many oil rigs were in the direct path of the hurricane so they had to be abandoned. Whenever this happens output, obviously, deccreases causing a rise in prices. So no matter what the price will rise due soley to the fact that the rigs had to be anbandoned.

08-28-2005, 11:43 PM
alright you guys have really freaked me out. An hour ago I was just worried about the inhabitants of New Orleans and now I'm worried about the entire future of the planet and life as we know it ceasing to be. Any way at all this hurricane could slow considerably before hitting land?

johnnybeef
08-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I have found that ignorance truly is bliss

tbach24
08-28-2005, 11:45 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
alright you guys have really freaked me out. An hour ago I was just worried about the inhabitants of New Orleans and now I'm worried about the entire future of the planet and life as we know it ceasing to be. Any way at all this hurricane could slow considerably before hitting land?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching CNN and there was something about the fluctuations of the eye making it decrease in size just before it hit land. Hopefully it does that, but that would still be lots of damage.

STLantny
08-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Ya, they can die down considerably when they hit land, if conditions are right.
I obviously do not believe we are all going to die, and the horseman are commin down, it just seems like that our nation as a whole, has become, because of our success, just like it was right before 'nam. Content, succesful, etc. And I personally believe things are going to change drastically.

utmt40
08-28-2005, 11:50 PM
I think we're all [censored]

tbach24
08-28-2005, 11:51 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I obviously do not believe we are all going to die, and the horseman are commin down, it just seems like that our nation as a whole, has become, because of our success, just like it was right before 'nam. Content, succesful, etc. And I personally believe things are going to change drastically.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was having similar thoughts. As Wacki posted, this has a lot to do with global warming. I guess we're seeing the effects sooner than we thought.

08-28-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what goes up must come down
all that is, passes
for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
everything that has a beginning has an end
life, then death

meh /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

STLantny
08-29-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what goes up must come down
all that is, passes
for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
everything that has a beginning has an end
life, then death

meh /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the most disconcerting, is the fact that there wasnt many posts saying I was completely nuts, and its all in my head. I seriously was expecting most people to say this.

RacersEdge
08-29-2005, 12:04 AM
I think you are overblowing things a lot. As bad as it is, this hurricane is just a temporary thing. MAybe a few months of high gas prices - but a shift in world politics? Come on.

Al P
08-29-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The impact was immediate Sunday night when electronic trading resumed on the New York Mercantile Exchange, as crude oil futures spiked $4.50 per barrel, putting the cost above $70 for the first time since oil began trading there in 1983.

Bartman387
08-29-2005, 12:06 AM
you're nuts, it's all in your head.

oreogod
08-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Good stuff.

link (http://www.endofworld.net/)

cbfair
08-29-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good stuff.

link (http://www.endofworld.net/)