PDA

View Full Version : hurricane media hype

STLantny
08-28-2005, 10:51 PM
I was just watching cnn then got in my car and listened to the radio. They both said that there is a good possiblity that New Orleans is going to cease to exist after the hurricane hits??????? The next Atlantis. WTF. Anyone point me to a non-hype site to read what could happen?

Diplomat
08-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Well, the problem is that no one really knows exactly what will happen. Any opinion at this point is just an educated guess. Or a not-very-educated guess.

-Diplomat

IggyWH
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Anything you see right now is going to be "sky is falling" type coverage. It's probably best to so people understand just how serious this could turn out, although it hardly ever turns out as bad as planned.

Usually the most hyped ones don't turn out as bad while the sleepers are the ones that are disastrous.

LethalRose
08-28-2005, 10:55 PM
This one is going to be bad, espcially if the eye of the storm shifts and causes all the nearby lakes to spill over new orleans. I think at least 1k are going to lose their lives.

tbach24
08-28-2005, 10:55 PM
I watched some CNN earlier and they had the head of some major department that had to do with natural disasters on. He said that if it's as bad as they think, it will take 1000's of lives and bury the city in water for 6 months.

IggyWH
08-28-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think at least 1k are going to lose their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a religious person, but I will be praying that you are wrong.

LethalRose
08-28-2005, 10:58 PM
One fact to keep in mind is that the media isnt hyping up the power of the storm. Disaster advisors, meteorologists are saying it could be very bad. These people make a living watching storms like this. Its not the same as some joe schmo from CNN saying its the big one.

ucfryan
08-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Have you seen how big this [censored] storm is?

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WEATHER/08/28/hurricane.katrina/top.2016.katrina.animate.gif

It's almost the size of the gulf, and the 4th most intense storm ever recorded. New Orleans sits below sea level, and a 28 foot storm sure COULD put much of the city below water.

fluxrad
08-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Here's the thing. The US mainland has only been hit by three previous category 5 storms, all of them being disastrous to the affected communities.

Now combine this with the fact that New Orleans sits 15-20 feet below sea level and is protected solely by levies and you begin to see why they're making a big deal about this. Worst case, the majority of New Orleans is left uninhabitable for the next month. Best case, the eye veers off course or the storm dies as soon as it hits land and the city only sees minor damages and flooding. It is highly unlikely that the later is going to be the case. Read the NOAA hurricane advisories and you'll see why.

Oh - and everyone should remember to fill their tanks. By noon tomorrow, I'm betting gas costs at least $.25 more.

ChoicestHops
08-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Ive heard on CNN that it's very likely thw city will be under 20 ft of water.

LethalRose
08-28-2005, 11:01 PM
not only is it a cat 5, its also much larger than previous cat 5 that have hit land. The eye of the storm is on a direct path to new orleans, thats REALLY bad.

The city has to pump water out as it is, if power goes out and they get hit as hard as they are saying, its going to be bad.

STLantny
08-28-2005, 11:01 PM
K, I just assumed its all hype as it normally is. thats a bad sun rising.

Dynasty
08-28-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
K, I just assumed its all hype as it normally is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this time.

Bartman387
08-28-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One fact to keep in mind is that the media isnt hyping up the power of the storm. Disaster advisors, meteorologists are saying it could be very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true, you do have educated meteorologits saying thta the storm is very strong and could lead to much destruction. But then you have this followed by asshat anchors who speculate forever. On Fox News, The king of hype, I have heard them say how it is possible that because of all the graveyards being flooded would lead to corpses floating throughout the city causing the return of the black plague and possibly killing many more due to disease and pestilance. They also said New Orleans could be the new Atlantis and possibly never be inhabited again. Thats a quote.

SO while it is legit that this is a dangerous storm that could be one of the strongest to hit the US ever, there is plenty of over hyping going on that boil down to making this into as much of a story as possible rather than reporting.

Drew16
08-28-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone point me to a non-hype site to read what could happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

FoxNews

STLantny
08-28-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One fact to keep in mind is that the media isnt hyping up the power of the storm. Disaster advisors, meteorologists are saying it could be very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true, you do have educated meteorologits saying thta the storm is very strong and could lead to much destruction. But then you have this followed by asshat anchors who speculate forever. On Fox News, The king of hype, I have heard them say how it is possible that because of all the graveyards being flooded would lead to corpses floating throughout the city causing the return of the black plague and possibly killing many more due to disease and pestilance. They also said New Orleans could be the new Atlantis and possibly never be inhabited again. Thats a quote.
SO while it is legit that this is a dangerous storm that could be one of the strongest to hit the US ever, there is plenty of over hyping going on that boil down to making this into as much of a story as possible rather than reporting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that on CNN too.

Uglyowl
08-28-2005, 11:13 PM
They have been saying for years everytime a hurricane develops, if a category 5 hurricane ever hits, New Orleans will be in deep trouble, the city is not capable of handling it the way it is built.

This may be the one they have been hoping never came.

IHateKeithSmart
08-28-2005, 11:21 PM
This is very true. I was in Charleston in 89' for Hugo. Charleston is a very low-lying city/area, but nothing compared to NO. As its shaping up, this will likely be stronger than Hugo, and Hugo devasted the coastal SC area pretty damn badly.

mmbt0ne
08-28-2005, 11:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
They have been saying for years everytime a hurricane develops, if a category 5 hurricane ever hits, New Orleans will be in deep trouble, the city is not capable of handling it the way it is built.

This may be the one they have been hoping never came.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it was just another case of this at first too. But this time is different. Everyone we know, the people who have never left home before are in Texas, or Arkansas, or just somewhere else that isn't home. My mom has already planned to take her 30-something sick days she has saved up over the years, and go down there after the rain stops to do whatever she can. I'm sure my dad and grandmother are making similar arrangements.

This is going to be ugly. The storm is too big not to have a serious direct hit on NO. It may not be dead-on, right where the eye goes, but it's going to get rocked. The only part of the city that might survive is uptown, because it is far enough away from the lake in all directions, and apparently the river is fairly low right now, which will help minimize the flooding. Of course, the rest of the city is [censored]. If the flooding is as severe as some projections, the pumps the city has built in will be covered in water, and inoperable. It will take months just to get rid of the water, forget about clean water and utilities.

I remember my mom telling me stories about going to Biloxi the day after Camille hit, while she was living in NO. All she can think about is that she'll doing the same thing on a grander scale this time around.

cbfair
08-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Read this (http://www.nola.com/hurricane/?/washingaway/part2.html).

I'm not sure when it was written, but it wasn't this morning. There is a significant concern that NO could in fact cease to exist as we know it. There's a disaster scenario that New Orleans and Federal disaster planners have contemplated for some time, called "filling the bowl". NO lies below sea level and below the level of lake Pontchartrain (sp). The concern is that the lake will spill over the levee system and overwhelm the pumping capacity of the city leaving it flooded for as long as months. These flood waters would be filled with raw sewage, chemicals, petroleum, snakes, alligators rats and other nasties; FEMA has predicted that the worst case scenario (hypothetical hurricane, not Katrina specifically) could kill 20k to 100k people.

We won't know until the coming days what the aftermath will hold but there is no question this is one of the largest hurricanes in US history and that it is bearing down on a major city. Those two factors alone are reason for concern, couple that with New Orlean's unique low stature and you have the real potential for historic disaster.

I hope some miracle intervenes, but I've been watching this live feed (http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_wwltv&amp;props=livenoad) for awhile and it doesn't look good.

My thoughts are with the people of New Orleans tonight and I pray for their safety.

Matt Flynn
08-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Atlantis? No. The greatest natural disaster in the history of the U.S.? Unless that storm veers off or loses a tremendous amount of power, yes, and by a wide margin. It is that bad.

Aceshigh7
08-28-2005, 11:39 PM
In Houston we had tropical storm Allison a few years ago that flooded the entire city. That was the biggest natural disaster to ever hit the city, causing 5 billion worth of damage and killing 22 people. And this hurricane Katrina looks a hell of alot worse.

Ray Zee
08-28-2005, 11:49 PM
it may or may not be a tragedy by someones standard. the city is below sea level and should never have been built that large to begin with. and everyone that lives there knows what can happen and needed to be prepared. the city should be prepared. too bad people react only when disaster is imminent not when probable.
forecasters have for some time said as a result of global warming hurracanes will be more frequent and stronger. nothing has been done about global warming either. you get what you pay for as cold hearted as it sounds.
but i do wish everyone with an interest well. i am rooting for the people not for the city except that that state has the highest pollution in the country and the storm may unleash bad chemicals into the environment to the detriment of all.

Warik
08-28-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Praying to whom? Don't forget where the storm came from.

(religious thread hijack not intended... stay out David Sklansky!)

ChoicestHops
08-28-2005, 11:52 PM
You're not rooting for the city? What the hell? New Orleans rocks.

Bartman387
08-28-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it may or may not be a tragedy by someones standard. the city is below sea level and should never have been built that large to begin with. and everyone that lives there knows what can happen and needed to be prepared. the city should be prepared. too bad people react only when disaster is imminent not when probable.
forecasters have for some time said as a result of global warming hurracanes will be more frequent and stronger. nothing has been done about global warming either. you get what you pay for as cold hearted as it sounds.
but i do wish everyone with an interest well. i am rooting for the people not for the city except that that state has the highest pollution in the country and the storm may unleash bad chemicals into the environment to the detriment of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post confuses me. You hope the people live, but the city is destroyed? So you want as many people as possible to survive, but have no house to live in, lose all their possessions and need to start all over?

tbach24
08-28-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm pretty sure he's saying that it's the people's and city's own fault for living there and not being prepared enough, yet still he hopes for the best for everyone.

Ray Zee
08-28-2005, 11:59 PM
yea tbach thats about right. people need to consider what they create.

Bartman387
08-29-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he's saying that it's the people's and city's own fault for living there and not being prepared enough, yet still he hopes for the best for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
the majority of the people in the city had no say either way how prepared thew city was, having levees, better pumps etc. ALso Louisianna is a very poor state, a majority of the people do not have the means to just decide that New Orleans isn't adequately prepared for natural disasters and move to a new city.

So his argument, is thats what it is, is kinda pathetic.

ChoicestHops
08-29-2005, 12:06 AM
I agree. Most of those people didn't decide to live in New Orleans. Alot of them are poor and have no means to move out.

SmileyEH
08-29-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad global warming doesn't exist according to the current administration.

-SmileyEH

gumpzilla
That's a crazy article. My girlfriend called me to tell me about this stuff earlier tonight, which surprised me a great deal, since I hadn't been paying attention to the news this weekend and still thought Katrina was a pissant non-entity as far as hurricanes goes. Now I'm pretty riveted to it. This is going to be nuts, and I have a hard time imagining what it's going to be like for New Orleans residents.

Ray Zee
people got out west in covered wagons. so where you live is by choice. i dont buy that arguement.

Al P
08-29-2005, 12:27 AM
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6717/030734psm1gl.gif

MaxPower
08-29-2005, 12:27 AM
New Orleans is a wonderfull city and I hope it makes it through OK.

wacki
08-29-2005, 12:28 AM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Zee

Al P
08-29-2005, 12:31 AM
This thing is nuts.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/129/030734wsm3oj.gif

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml Click on any of the 10 thumbnails at the top of the page.

Bartman387
08-29-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
people got out west in covered wagons. so where you live is by choice. i dont buy that arguement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because things are exactly the same now as they were a century and a half ago. Completely legitimate and educated comparison.

beernutz
08-29-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just watching cnn then got in my car and listened to the radio. They both said that there is a good possiblity that New Orleans is going to cease to exist after the hurricane hits??????? The next Atlantis. WTF. Anyone point me to a non-hype site to read what could happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hype. I am ~150 miles east of N.O. and the eye and we are expecting a catagory 1 hurricane here. This thing is massive.

You realize the French Quarter is 14 feet BELOW sea level? You realize this hurricane is stronger and larger than both Andrew and Camille? This could very well be a once in a century type event.

cwsiggy
08-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Could this cripple the economy? I imagine there will be a post destruction construction boom, but 25% or so ou the US's oil comes form refineries in New Orleans. Apparently - futures are up to $70 overseas. Yikes.

Voltron87
08-29-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"So, imagine you're the poor person who decides not to evacuate: Your house will disintegrate around you. The best you'll be able to do is hang on to a light pole, and while you're hanging on, the fire ants from all the mounds -- of which there is two per yard on average -- will clamber up that same pole. And, eventually, the fire ants will win."

[/ QUOTE ]

that is straight from the cnn website. you cant make this [censored] up.

i hate this countries media.

mmbt0ne
08-29-2005, 12:42 AM
"So, imagine you're the poor person who decides not to evacuate: Your house will disintegrate around you. The best you'll be able to do is hang on to a light pole, and while you're hanging on, the fire ants from all the mounds -- of which there is two per yard on average -- will clamber up that same pole. And, eventually, the fire ants will win."

[/ QUOTE ]

that is straight from the cnn website. you cant make this [censored] up.

i hate this countries media.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have never stepped in a fire ant mound in New Orleans. You could put a leash on those things.

Voltron87
08-29-2005, 12:45 AM
ive never been close to nawwwwleans. ive been to atlanta and north florida. but seriously, is this legit? even if there are legit beastly fire ants, this whole idea of peoples' houses disintegrating and them hanging onto light poles while ants eat them is bullshit to me. wont the ants get blown away, or drowned?

STLantny
08-29-2005, 12:47 AM
The whole scene of someone hanging off a light pole, in the middle of a hurricane, while fire ants sting him to death, reminds me of the recent family guy about the unlucky japanese guy, that the baboon (atomic bomb) falls on.

wonderwes
08-29-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Houston we had tropical storm Allison a few years ago that flooded the entire city. That was the biggest natural disaster to ever hit the city, causing 5 billion worth of damage and killing 22 people. And this hurricane Katrina looks a hell of alot worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in that. I got stuck at a friend's apt because every single street was underwater. That was truely nuts. Amazing all that flooded was done by a tropical storm.

XxGodJrxX
08-29-2005, 01:32 AM
I was a kid while Hurricane Andrew (a little weaker than Katrina at the present time) hit Miami. Let me put it this way, almost every house in Homestead (direct hit) was gone. The damage from Andrew was catastrophic; much of it was not fixed for years. Now there is Katrina, which is more powerful, bigger, and has massive potential for flooding (unlike Andrew) going into a city that is totally unprepared for such an event. If there is a direct hit and the houses are in shambles and there is ten feet of water, fire ants may be a welcome sight.

I think it is really stupid when people say "they should not have been living there". I remember Al Schoomaker said something similar a few months ago in the Psych forum. You can easily say that we are not suppossed to live on this planet because of its potential for disaster. The southeast has hurricanes, the west coast has earthquakes, the coasts have houses falling apart because of erosion, half the planet is consumed by war and famine. Is there a magical place that I have not have heard of where the whole "they weren't suppossed to live there" garbage does not apply?

cnfuzzd
08-29-2005, 02:31 AM
theres a difference between acknowledging that a certain location has a high potential for disaster and taking appropriate steps to ensure minimal loss of life and property (examples include san fran earthquake preparation and dutch flood prevention) and blithely ignoring the FACT that a large metropolis area is in CONSTANT danger of a massive catastrophe, and that the few steps that have been taken to minimize risk are woefully inadaquate for the task at hand.

The sad thing is that those who made the choices to ignore the problem are probably safe either far away from NO or at least in a well protected shelter area, while those who have relatively little control over city maintance are primarily the ones being refered to as "stuck" inside the city. Remember, 25% of New Orleans lives below the poverty line, and such poverty is often paired with a dangerous ignorance of things such as "flooding projections" and "crisis management provisions".

Ray Zee is right, this city has been a target since day one. Unfortunately, no one who probably "deserves" to be stuck in the city is.

peace

john nickle

chuddo
08-29-2005, 02:33 AM
the klingons understand (http://klingonsforecastkatrina.ytmnd.com/)

imported_anacardo
08-29-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so nice to know that the you're the man now, dog community is on top of these breaking developments.

flatline
08-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Looks like it the hurricane just took a sharp cut to the right, so no worst case scenario will happen. Just regular hurricane damage, no "New Orleans under 20 feet of water for 6 months" type stuff.

Dynasty
08-29-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so nice to know that the you're the man now, dog community is on top of these breaking developments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Star Trek II may have the most underestimated score. It's goes perfectly with the movie.

wacki
08-29-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
theres a difference between acknowledging that a certain location has a high potential for disaster and taking appropriate steps to ensure minimal loss of life and property (examples include san fran earthquake preparation and dutch flood prevention) and blithely ignoring the FACT that a large metropolis area is in CONSTANT danger of a massive catastrophe, and that the few steps that have been taken to minimize risk are woefully inadaquate for the task at hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point cnfuzzd.

[ QUOTE ]
The sad thing is that those who made the choices to ignore the problem are probably safe either far away from NO or at least in a well protected shelter area, while those who have relatively little control over city maintance are primarily the ones being refered to as "stuck" inside the city. Remember, 25% of New Orleans lives below the poverty line, and such poverty is often paired with a dangerous ignorance of things such as "flooding projections" and "crisis management provisions".

Ray Zee is right, this city has been a target since day one. Unfortunately, no one who probably "deserves" to be stuck in the city is.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is one thing that I disagree with Zee on. I doubt a lot of the poor people are able to get out or are educated enough to understand the power. But I guess you can blame that on Darwinism.

Ed Miller
08-29-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ive never been close to nawwwwleans. ive been to atlanta and north florida. but seriously, is this legit? even if there are legit beastly fire ants, this whole idea of peoples' houses disintegrating and them hanging onto light poles while ants eat them is bullshit to me. wont the ants get blown away, or drowned?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was 12 or so, I was playing baseball in a field. After about two minutes I looked down, and I was standing on a fire ant hill, and there were hundreds of the buggers on my feet. Naturally I started freaking out and brushed them all off as much as possible.

My foot swelled enormously and I couldn't walk for a week. While the CNN quote is a bit absurd, the last place in the world I would want to be would be hanging for my life from a lamp post covered in fire ants.

siccjay
08-29-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Praying to whom? Don't forget where the storm came from.

(religious thread hijack not intended... stay out David Sklansky!)

[/ QUOTE ]

So god made the hurricane? Get Real.

Bulldog
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
How will Jack Bauer stop Katrina in less than 24 hours???

theghost
08-29-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a magical place that I have not have heard of where the whole "they weren't suppossed to live there" garbage does not apply?

[/ QUOTE ]

the northeast

08-29-2005, 09:59 AM
I was in Biloxi last year and all I could think was that this place didn't look very safe. Beau Rivage is right on the water. You could jump from the outside deck of Beau Rivage into the water. I'm thinking Beau Rivage might not be there tomorrow. Too bad because that is one of my favorite casinos.

ChipWrecked
08-29-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How will Jack Bauer stop Katrina in less than 24 hours???

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, when he does catch her, torture will begin quickly.

mmbt0ne
08-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Is there a magical place that I have not have heard of where the whole "they weren't suppossed to live there" garbage does not apply?

[/ QUOTE ]

the northeast

[/ QUOTE ]

http://webslingerz.com/jhoffman/images/blackout-of-2003.jpg

RunDownHouse
08-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Congrats on posting a hoax!

mmbt0ne
08-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Congrats on posting a hoax!

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I forgot OOT was a truth only forum.

Warik
08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So god made the hurricane? Get Real.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I'm trying to make is that it's kind of silly to pray to God to save tens of thousands of people from what is potentially the most destructive hurricane in history, since the hurricane itself can be considered an "Act of God."

How many people do you think were praying during the Tsunami?

theghost
08-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, it is funny to think of God lounging around up there...all of a sudden there's all these prayers coming in "...please don't let me die here in NOLA..." etc.

God: "Whoa, my bad. Let that one get out of hand, I hadn't noticed." [Folding laundry or something?] "Here...let me take it down a notch for you guys...fair enough?"

Whatever.

Eclypse
08-29-2005, 11:30 AM
...the last place in the world I would want to be would be hanging for my life from a lamp post covered in fire ants.

Can't think of too many worse senarios than this! LOL!