PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane danger in hotel?

joecash
08-28-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm watching the weather channel, and a lot of people are hanging out in a hotel ball room in dowtown NO. They are on the 5th floor. Whats the big deal for them? They are high enough to stay above water, so what could happen?

tolbiny
08-28-2005, 10:51 PM
flying debris from 170+ mph winds.

STLantny
08-28-2005, 10:52 PM
electrocution, no food/water, flying glass, building could fall down.

joecash
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
wouldn't they be above the debris? Can a hurricane lift a car 50 feet in the air?

STLantny
08-28-2005, 10:55 PM
From what I just heard, 160mph winds are enough to lift a jet. Its like having a constant f-3 tornado.

IggyWH
08-28-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't they be above the debris? Can a hurricane lift a car 50 feet in the air?

[/ QUOTE ]

A car is the least of their worries... millions of small pieces of metal/glass is 100000 times more dangerous than a car being blown over.

ChoicestHops
08-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Not to mention the tornados this thing will produce on shore.

tolbiny
08-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Think fence posts at 150 mph. Tables, chairs- appliances. Kitchen knives, shards of glass, ect. Besides that (depending on where the hotel is) they could be stuck above 10-20 fete of water for several days- water contaminated by all kinds of waste (human and chemical). Dysentary and god knows what else will plague that area for quite some time.

LethalRose
08-28-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the tornados this thing will produce on shore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hurricane in itself it a huge F3 tornado.

Bartman387
08-28-2005, 11:32 PM
to everyone saying they are in danger of flying glass, nails, leaves and pieces of paper, lets consider this. People riding out hurricanes in hotels are very common, happens everytime, where do you think the media stays?? Second, do you think they are all standing at the windows watching the storm? NO. They are in an interior room that is safe from any of the aformentioned things and in a building that is sturcturally sound and on a floor high enough so they don't drown from the flooding.

But what if due to the flooding they are stuck in this hotel for days, weeks months,maybe even years without food or clean water? They are for sure dead. In case you are unaware there is this invention called the boat. It is built in such a way that ot "floats" on water, some even have a motor with a propellor attached that makes it go very fast. Well anyway these things hypothetically could rescue and bring thrm to dry land.

They are in good shape. Lets use our heads people.

Al P
08-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Even getting pelted by just rain at 150MPH would probably hurt more than anything most of us have ever felt.

Al P
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
When you stay in town after an emergency evacuation has been declared you're a super moran.

Sponger15SB
08-28-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But what if due to the flooding they are stuck in this hotel for days, weeks, months, maybe even years without food or clean water?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bartman387
08-28-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you stay in town after an emergency evacuation has been declared you're a super moran.

[/ QUOTE ]

well considering that there were two very big conventions going on at the time, all flights leaving were either fully booked or cancelled, and all rental cars are taken, how do you suggest a traveler leave town? hoof it?

Cancer Merchant
08-28-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
flying debris from 170+ mph winds.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/uf/sotuf/chapter_8/photo9.jpg

Al P
08-28-2005, 11:48 PM
In the French Quarter, most bars that stayed open through the threat of past hurricanes were boarded up and the few people on the streets were battening down their businesses and getting out. But a few stragglers remained.

Tony Peterson leaned over a balcony above Bourbon Street, festooned with gold, purple and green wreathes as Katrina's first rains pelted his shaved head.

"I was going to the Superdome and then I saw the two-mile line," the 42-year-old musician said. "I figure if I'm going to die, I'm going to die with cold beer and my best buds."

This guy sucks at life.

joecash
08-28-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
to everyone saying they are in danger of flying glass, nails, leaves and pieces of paper, lets consider this. People riding out hurricanes in hotels are very common, happens everytime, where do you think the media stays?? Second, do you think they are all standing at the windows watching the storm? NO. They are in an interior room that is safe from any of the aformentioned things and in a building that is sturcturally sound and on a floor high enough so they don't drown from the flooding.

But what if due to the flooding they are stuck in this hotel for days, weeks months,maybe even years without food or clean water? They are for sure dead. In case you are unaware there is this invention called the boat. It is built in such a way that ot "floats" on water, some even have a motor with a propellor attached that makes it go very fast. Well anyway these things hypothetically could rescue and bring thrm to dry land.

They are in good shape. Lets use our heads people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why they went to a ballroom on the 5th floor - high enough and no windows.

Warik
08-28-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This guy sucks at life.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may not be playing for much longer... sad really.

tolbiny
08-29-2005, 12:36 AM
"They are in an interior room that is safe from any of the aformentioned things and in a building that is sturcturally sound"

Thats a hell of an assumption- not many buildings are built to withstand 180 mph winds- and if you haven't been in a hotel lately- not many interior walls are particularly thick, or built to withstand projectiles, and many of the hallways have large windows.

As for the boats- how many of these things will be left in New orleans after the storm, how many people will be stranded needing rescue, and how easy is it to manuvere these things inbetween buildings with lots of floating debris?

There is a very real possiblity that people will be straded for several days to a week. Start tomorrow, go two days without access to clean water. Tell me how you feel.

XxGodJrxX
08-29-2005, 02:00 AM
When Katrina hit Miami a few days ago, a highway overpass collapsed. A HIGHWAY OVERPASS! At really high wind speeds, I think tall buildings have a chance of collapsing. I am not saying it is likely to happen, but there is always the chance.

As for reporters riding out hurricanes, how many of those hurricanes were category fives? As far as I remember the most recent category 5 was Andrew, and that was thirteen years ago. Every year, every local news station still does a story on the anniversery of Andrew because of all the damage it caused. I would say there is a big difference between riding out an 80mph storm and a 160mph storm.

mmbt0ne
08-29-2005, 02:19 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
As for reporters riding out hurricanes, how many of those hurricanes were category fives? As far as I remember the most recent category 5 was Andrew, and that was thirteen years ago. Every year, every local news station still does a story on the anniversery of Andrew because of all the damage it caused. I would say there is a big difference between riding out an 80mph storm and a 160mph storm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. When TWC doesn't send Jim Cantore to where the eye of the storm is expected to hit, you can be pretty sure it's going to get ugly.

Ed Miller
08-29-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm watching the weather channel, and a lot of people are hanging out in a hotel ball room in dowtown NO. They are on the 5th floor. Whats the big deal for them? They are high enough to stay above water, so what could happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were in New Orleans now, the 5th floor ballroom of one of those hotels is where I'd want to be. Hell, in 1992 for Andrew we evacuated our house to the Hilton on Canal Street. (Andrew ended up hitting about 150 miles west of NO, so we just had basically a standard storm.)

But I'd pick any place outside of NO over that in a heartbeat.