PDA

View Full Version : Views on gaming site

08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
I've been toying with starting a website where people can play against each other heads up and and in tournaments in other games besides poker. My first ideas were games like backgammon, battleship, stratego, rock paper scissors. So my question is, what is the level of interest for this? There have been a few murmurs in different threads in twoplustwo for a site like this, and there doesn't seem to be any good ones. Would you like to play any other games besides the ones I listed?

There I just gave you my idea, so if you're a faster programmer than I you'll beat me to it, but you won't do as nice a job as me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jokerthief
08-29-2005, 10:34 AM
I would love to play checkers for money.

benkahuna
08-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, sounds way fun and timely.

It doesn't matter what the quality is, what matters is the marketing.

08-29-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would love to play checkers for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about games like this, however, I was trying have games that had more luck. I am guessing that you are probably pretty good at checkers if you want to play for money. I'm not sure exactly how the skill of checkers compared to chess because I don't play it that much, but if you take the extreme example in the chess case someone like Kasparov could play there all day and would never lose, and therefore it wouldn't be that interesting to most people. One of the reasons, I believe, that poker is so popular is that it is the perfect combination of luck and skill. There are people who play poker who would never touch the lottery because they know it's all luck and conversely would never challenge Kasparov in chess because it would also be a certain loss. But who knows, maybe checkers could work.

Also, quality matters, but you're right, marketing is so important.