PDA

View Full Version : Driving DC to Atlanta

ScottyP431
08-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Hey,

Girlfriend is driving from washington DC to atlanta, I was wondering if anyone who had driven this could help out on any of the following

-length of trip timewise
-best time to leave to avoid traffic around major cities
-easiest route- (the mapquest directions were very complicated... she is not good at maps...)

any help would be awesome, thanks

newfant
08-28-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
she is not good at maps...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Maybe you should go get her.

Also, I wouldn't want to be driving to the South at this time.

brazilio
08-28-2005, 09:52 PM
According to a map I've seen, Atlanta isn't in Louisiana.

newfant
08-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Here's the projected path of the storm:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT12/refresh/AL1205W5+GIF/1A.gif

I imagine Atlanta will be feeling some of the residual effects.

RacersEdge
08-28-2005, 09:56 PM
I've never driven it, but it looks like it's pretty simple - I-95 to I-85 which goes right to ATL.

brazilio
08-28-2005, 09:56 PM
I live in Columbia SC and drive through DC, but going down I-81S to I-77S to Columbia, SC to I-20W to Atlanta is pretty foolproof. The interchanges in Columbia are a little difficult to follow as you'll have to switch from I-77 where it ends to I-26 to I-20.

But 95 to 85 I think is simpler, and 85 goes right into Atlanta.

IHateKeithSmart
08-28-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

Girlfriend is driving from washington DC to atlanta, I was wondering if anyone who had driven this could help out on any of the following

-length of trip timewise
-best time to leave to avoid traffic around major cities
-easiest route- (the mapquest directions were very complicated... she is not good at maps...)

any help would be awesome, thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey:

I would take 95 to 85, pretty simple drive. 10-12 hrs depending on time of travel and actual start and destination (since both endpoints are massive).

I would do this as an all-nighter starting around mid-afternoon. Since she's a woman travelling alone, though, I would suggest starting early am (around 7 or so). Richmond traffic is never too bad, but traffic around the beltline around Raleigh and in Charlotte can be heavy.

IHateKeithSmart
08-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Yes brazilio's suggestion is also good (but a little more complicated). Hey braz - I am originally from Charleston (went to CofC).

brazilio
08-28-2005, 10:01 PM
I was living near Beaufort before last summer caretaking at a plantation around there taking care of animals. Sup SC buddy.

peachy
08-28-2005, 10:04 PM
i have...the main thing to worry about is traffic...it takes around 8 to 12 hrs depending on the traffic. Its hard to pick a good time to leave if its not a saturday or sunday. When i drove FROM atlanta to DC i left around 10am but hit thier traffic as soon as I got there, if she lives on the outside of DC tell her to leave around 8am and she should make it here alright...but if its friday - well u know how atlanta is - the traffic will be awful by 3pm already

if she can leave after 7pm and drive the night i would if i was her and tell her to take 95 to 85 - more traffic through major places but its harder for her to get lost