PDA

View Full Version : Good fold? (First stud/8 hand post)

Taraz
08-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I was thinking here that I'm definitely beat for the low and either I'm beat for the high or he's drawing to a bunch of outs to beat me. So basically I have to call $12 to win $18. I think I'm making lots of mistakes by calling in similar situations. For example should I fold 5th street? Or what if he paired his 3 on 6th st?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx J/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Hero: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls

4th Street - (2.67 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Hero: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Seat 8: xx xx A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls

5th Street - (2.33 BB)

Hero: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif___raises

6th Street - (6.33 BB)

Hero: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets

Total pot: 6.33 BB

Andy B
08-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Third and fourth are fine. I would probably check and fold fifth. In any case, I can't see betting into that board. Sixth just sucks. Not your play, but the situation. You've made the pot big enough that you shouldn't be comfortable just throwing away your hand. There's a Deuce gone, and I think he could have just about anything for low. You need to have a 40% chance of having (or making) the best high in order for it to be worthwhile to call down. I think you probably have at least that.

mscags
08-28-2005, 09:38 PM
What Andy said.

Taraz
08-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I think I got a bit too happy with my Aces on 5th. In fact, I think I make most of my mistakes on 4th/5th by betting/calling with very iffy hands.

What if he paired his door on 5th and we caught the same? How would you play it?

mscags
08-28-2005, 09:44 PM
I would probably check and call a bet, but you have to approach sixth pretty cautiously

Andy B
08-28-2005, 09:47 PM
I've got (35)AA and I'm looking at the other two Aces? I will confess that my knee-jerk reaction is to bet out and see what happens. I went to twodimes and plugged in some hands. There really isn't much that you're a favorite against, as it turns out. If he has two pair, you're a huge dog. If he has two to a worse low, you're still a dog. This makes sense if you think about it. It's fairly unlikely that either of you will make a low, and he's ahead for high. Even if he has crap like a couple of face cards in the hole, he's winning. As counter-intuitive as it seems, I think the best play is to check and call.