PDA

View Full Version : 2 Table v 1 Table Sit and Go

Poker Jon
04-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Hey all,

I have been playing both 1 and 2 table sit and go tourneys online at Pokerstars and have been wondering whether the 2 table S&G are a bit of a false economy.

As far as I am concerned, there is a lot more opportunity to get knocked out in a 2 table tourney, for not that much more reward. Take a $10 game for example.

2 Table 1 Table
1st = $72 1st = $45
2nd = $54 2nd = $27
3rd = $36 3rd = $18
4th = $18

As far as I am concerned the only real advantage you get is by coming first which is obvious as there is more money to be won.

You get the same money for coming 4th and 3rd respectively, but you have to come 3/9 in the one table tourney but 2/9 (4/18) in the 2 table tourney.

Obviously, tactics are different. I know that in the 2 table tourney you should be aiming to win more tournaments as the prize is 'more lucrative' so to speak, but is it worth it, in such a small tourney, to risk all of your chips for a prize so small. It seems like you have to play as you in a multi table tourney to be getting the 1st and 2nd places in a 2 table tourney to make them worthwhile. 4th places just arnt good enough. However, in single table tourneys, you can literally wait for half the opposition to knock each other out before you even look at your computer screen and make a decision, thus you only really have to play against 5 players, hence making your placing that much easier.

I know I am looking at this in a hugely simplistic format, with no variables being taken into account, but just wanted some thoughts on my ideas.

Bubmack
04-12-2003, 10:01 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Obviously, tactics are different. I know that in the 2 table tourney you should be aiming to win more tournaments as the prize is 'more lucrative' so to speak, but is it worth it, in such a small tourney, to risk all of your chips for a prize so small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well from the format you describe. The fourth place prize is essentially taken from the 1st place money...since 3rd and 2nd are exactly double the 10 table tourney payouts. Therefore, it would appear that it is more important for survival under the two table tourney format.

Also, why are you worried about "risking" your chips for such a small prize? Tournament chips have no value unless your holding them in the end.

You shouldn't discount the fact that there is fourth place money? Its part of the prize structure and should be accepted for what its worth - another shot at some cash.

The key to winning money in the sit-n-go tourneys is really two fold. 1. Place in the money as often as possibe and 2. win more often than your competition when you do place in the money. So don't ignore #1 for the sake of #2.

So I would say that you should play the tourney's that best suit your style. If you are the kind of player that likes to use a bankroll and pound on the other players, it might be best to go with the single table. If you are the kind of player that likes to slowly plot along and trap a player when your hand is big - play the 2 table format. (you will play at a full tables longer under this format).

Good luck,

Bubs