PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Live vs. Blind Raise

PokerFink
08-28-2005, 08:29 PM
I don't have much experience against live straddles and blind raises, so...

1/2 live home game, very fishy. Players are loose, semi-aggressive and bad.

UTG makes a blind raise to 15 (yes... 15). It is a blind raise, not a live straddle. Folded to me in CO, I find QdJd. I raise to 30.

I have ~250, UTG has me covered. I feel I am a much, much stronger postflop player than UTG. I think UTG will call my re-raise with any reasonably playable hand.

Button and SB are standard fishy players for the table. BB is very tight and will not come in for 30 unless he finds a big hand.

Like it?

PokerFink
08-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Come on, I know this doesn't have much content to it, but I also know that some of the regulars here play live a lot and probably play against people who blind raise and straddle.

I know it's preflop but it's also 12% of my stack.

djoyce003
08-29-2005, 02:06 PM
UTG will call whatever you bet, I like the play because your hand figures to be the best...but i'd like it more if you had an Ace.

MediaPA
08-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Any 'reasonably' playable hand I raise into a straddle or true blind raise (not sure I'm a huge fan of the essentially minimum raise). If you get called by the blinds, I'd swallow hard figuring I'm behind at the moment.

Depending on the blind raiser, most will call w/ just about anything semi-playable to them, 2 gappers, suited cards or better, since they want to try and liven up the table.

As stated an Ace would be nice or King, but as is, I think it works.

j0wlev
08-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Your re-raise is too small. It's just inticing action from the blinds, if I were in the SB or BB and looked down at a pp, a suited Ace, suited connectors (even 2 gappers), I'm gonna call and probably check-blind to LAG UTG.

Your giving the blinds way too much implied odds here to be min-raising. Think about this situation.

You re-raise the blind bet to 30, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls blind.

Flop J /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, UTG bets 30, you raise to 75. SB pushes, UTG folds, your action...

Now say I was in the SB with the hand range I described I would call with, you hafta worry about a heart draw, a straight draw, a flopped set, flopped 2 pair with J7 /images/graemlins/grin.gif
or a straight-flush draw. The only hands you can beat here that SB might have are something like 88 or A7. SB could even be pushing with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif or KJo.

Making it $45~$60 isolates the blind better, who will probably call with a hand you have beat and you have a good chance of doubling through on a good flop. The blinds can't call that big of a bet outta position to take a flop and hafta lead in to you.

PokerFink
08-29-2005, 03:29 PM
I was trying to isolate as cheaply as possible, but I think you bring up some valid points. Thanks for the advice.