PDA

View Full Version : just starting out at omaha

wilcs18
08-28-2005, 07:25 PM
I have been playing Holdem semi-seriously for about a year and i am starting to play a lot more omaha because i like how it has more action and bigger hands.

Could someone please post some comments on basic stategy adjustments that must be made for omaha from holdem-- starting hands, betting strategy, etc.. just so im not just trying to figure it out on my own.

Thanks

Jim T
08-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Peddle the nuts.

08-29-2005, 12:10 AM
some web articles on starting hands

http://www.pokercoach.us/OMch.htm
http://erh.homestead.com/omaha.html

especially when you're first starting, be ruthless in tossing hands that don't match the flop. for example, a common beginner's mistake is to get married to a pair of aces. conversely you can lead big draws. i did well yesterday when i bet out with J 9 8 7 two hearts and the board came 10 6 5 two hearts, getting a worse straight draw and trips to call, def positive expectancy there. you don't get a flop like that every day but when big draws come your way consider betting, often you can take it right there, esp if you have a tight image, and you should play tight when first starting.

watch out for hands with little chance to improve, like a nut straight on the flop with a flush draw on board and no other outs. your worst nightmare there is someone with the identical straight and a flush draw, trips or a better straight draw, in which you could find all your money in with no chance to win and a definite chance to lose it all. you can bet it but if you bet and get a raise and a call i'd be gone. you might even be facing trips on one hand and a nut flush draw on the other in which you would be looking bad. naked top trips you can bet with more confidence but you can be an underdog there as was the guy facing my huge wrap and flush draw.

tread carefully with less than top trips, sure bet but be on the lookout for what happens. trips or two pair under trips is another common beginner's mistake. and forget bottom 2 pair, lol.

wilcs18
08-29-2005, 09:01 PM
thanks a lot- comments were helpful. I just finished losing a quick 50 on party poker $50 PL. I had been doing really well on the $25 and thought i could step it up. Guess i was wrong.

DRKEVDC
08-29-2005, 09:58 PM
If you don't have the nuts you are problably beat.

08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
may just have been a bad session. i doubt the 25 and 50 games are that different.

Lafortezza
08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
In my experience the Party $25 and $100 games play quite similarly. The $50 games seems a little tighter and tougher, usually filled with $25 players who know what they are doing, who decide to move up a limit.