PDA

View Full Version : Amarillo Slim In A Word Full Of Fat People

jasonHoldEm
04-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks to some fortunate timing (and Greg Dinkin) I managed to get my hands on an advanced copy of Amarillo Slim's new book (release date is in early May). I think Easy E also scored a copy and I'm betting his forthcoming review will be much better than mine, so I'll just try to hit the high points.

First of all, buy the book. I tore through it in about two days and it's probably one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. From his beginings as a pool hustler, to winning the WSOP, risking his life on the river of no return, or beating Willie Nelson in dominoes, Slim weaves together a wonderful story that flows very well from page to page, told in style that could be described none other than "Pure Texan".

In addition to covering most of his famous proposition bets the book also provides a very detailed history of Las Vegas and the men that built it. It also shows a very human side of Slim, which is something that most gamblers never show.

Although I'm too young to remember any of Slim's exploits first hand, I must say that after reading the book he sounds like someone who'd be a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with. If a sucker is born every minute, I'm sure Slim's only problem is keeping up with the demand.

peace,
jHE