PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker Tourney Move

yimyammer
08-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Has anyone else here noticed that when you drastically overbet the pot in the early stages of a sit and go, you can almost guarantee a call?

I've done this in the lead on several occasions with TPTK (on the flop), AA, KK (preflop) and find that I get called in almost every occasion.

While I have been ahead in EVERY situation (usually versus an underpair), I have unfortunately still lost in most scenarios.

Here are some examples.

1. Im in the BB (blinds 10/15) with AQ. 5 limpers I raise 175. All fold to the button who calls. The flop comes rainbow A,x,x. I go allin, the button CALLS with 66 (?!?!?). 6 comes on the river, IGHN.

2. I'm in the SB with KK, 5 limpers, I raise all-in. BB calls with A2 offsuit and catches an ace on the river.

Maybe I should revert to a smaller bet, but then people tend to call me down and suck out anyway.

I know these are the calls I want, but Im perplexed as to how to handle these situations I find myself trapped in.

Anyone else encountered this?
Suggestions?
Or should I just be thankful for the calls and wait for the math to work itself out?

Im starting to think I should just sit out for the first 30 minutes and wait for some semblance of sanity to kick in.

PS..the tourneys I have been playing are the ministeps & 2-stage sats for bigger tourney entries and the party million sats. By the time I get to stage 4 of the mini-step tourneys, play seems to really tighten up and I dont see these kinds of calls, in fact I can bluff or bet for value for only half the pot and have success.

paperboyNC
08-28-2005, 06:42 PM
If you dont like these calls, play $33 sngs and higher.

Oh, and if you play enough, you'll win more than you lose.

valenzuela
08-28-2005, 06:46 PM
yawn.

08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
this is a Bad beat post /images/graemlins/frown.gif

splashpot
08-28-2005, 07:03 PM
What suggestions are you looking for? A way to make people with bad hands fold instead of call?

yimyammer
08-28-2005, 07:05 PM
No, it's not. I gave examples so the reader could see the scenarios I am talking about.

Let me be more specific, do you or anyone use the drastic overbet as a strategy to maximize your return? If so, have you had success?

I'm also curious if anyone else has noticed this tendancy.

yimyammer
08-28-2005, 08:27 PM
LOL, I guess the amount of info I gave makes it sound that way. When they win, I do wish they hadn't called.

I've been using this as a deliberate tactic. For example I got AA early in the BB and thought, I cant dick around with this hand when 5 to 6 people tend to call. So in the BB, after 5 people had called, I thought to myself that one of these yo-yo's will call me if I go allin, so I did and someone called me and I had an easy double up.

The very next hand I get KK and think I will definately get a call here if I go all in, so I did it again and got called by the A2. This time I lost.

08-28-2005, 08:33 PM
you must be the unluckiest player ever. I think the most +EV thing you could do would be to quit poker. If that doesn't work, just check/call down your strong hands from now on to save money.

yimyammer
08-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok, I'll do that, thanks for the well thought out and intelligent response

08-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Im playing 10+1 and it happens alot. And for awhile, after losing like 4-5 games in a row because of bad beats, I started questioning my game (did I "gamble" too early, should I see a flop b4 i set myself all-in, etc).

My advice to you is to NOT be afraid of bad beats. Dont be afraid to get your money in early if you think you have a big edge. If you can get all your money in the middle at any time with AA or KK (PF), be extremely happy. Bad beats dont happen as much as you think. It just seems that way because you remeber all the beats and few of the wins. KK vs Ax is a "monster" favorite, but it loses like 1/4 or 1/3 of the time... (sry forgot odds =p )

Hope the math kicks in for you sooner than later.

-Brian

08-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the retarded OP

cow_phunk
08-28-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the retarded OP

[/ QUOTE ]

although it did turn into a venting post, it is a legitimite topic for debate for low limit players.

i believe its definitely not something you want to get in a habit of doing too often. can make things difficult when you do it for 1k+ sngs then move up and have to revert to better poker theory.

yimyammer
08-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks for a non-sarcastic and reasoned response.

I should have posted some of the situations where it has worked in my favor or shortened my post significantly because most of the people that have read this think I was posting just my bad beats.

Myst
08-28-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. I gave examples so the reader could see the scenarios I am talking about.

Let me be more specific, do you or anyone use the drastic overbet as a strategy to maximize your return? If so, have you had success?

I'm also curious if anyone else has noticed this tendancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I use the overbet, and of course, this all depends on opposition, reads, etc.

yimyammer
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
It always amazes me how many gutless little dipshits like you hiding behind their keyboards take the time to read and reply to posts they think are so stupid.

get a life douchebag

burningyen
08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or should I just be thankful for the calls and wait for the math to work itself out?

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming you came to 2+2 after reading at least one of their books, I'm surprised this didn't leap out to you as the obvious answer.

Karak567
08-29-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a Bad beat post /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He did a nice job of trying to disguise it though.

cow_phunk
08-29-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It always amazes me how many gutless little dipshits like you hiding behind their keyboards take the time to read and reply to posts they think are so stupid.

get a life douchebag

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, you're right. forgive me for trying to defend this topic as legitimite.