PDA

View Full Version : Making more money from poker then I will ever make from a real job

08-28-2005, 04:14 PM
This annoys me very much. First let me say that i'm not from USA, so im honest when I say I can never make good money from a regular job.

My mother and father who are highly educated make both aprox $3.5k/month, and that's over twice the avg. payment here.

Now me who just had the 19th birthday have made to save $50k(money that I have in bank account top of that I have poker roll of over $20k) in past year from online poker, I dont talk with my parents about money because i feel shame. But they know I have made a decent amount and keep saying me that I must be carefull.
My friends are all broke(excluded couple who play poker, and make even more then I do) and they have to think daily what they can buy and if they can eat out, magazines are full of students writing how hard it's live with the less then $500 that goverment gives them monthly.

Im happy with the current situation and I have no plans of going pro poker player, since it's obvious this wont last long. But im very worried about the future, because I wont make more then $10/hour from a real job even with a decent education. I have the feeling that it will be hard to motivate myself, best solution offcourse would be if I could make so much money from poker that when it dries up I can do whatever real work I want and live without worrying my lifestyle suffering big time.

Due all that im actually holding back a bit and not playing as much as I would like to - sick I know.

I dont really know what kind of advice im looking for but if anyone has been in a similiar situation opinions and thoughts are welcome.

TimM
08-28-2005, 04:40 PM
I was a broke college student at 19. It sucks. Be happy.

With all that money in the bank, you have to have options. You could go to another country, maybe to attend school. Who knows, you might want to stay.

Mikey
08-28-2005, 05:19 PM
look into income generating assets and not savings if you want to be financially secure in the future if poker dries up.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
08-28-2005, 05:44 PM
poker will be a profitable game forever. I dont think online poker is gonna go away either.

TStoneMBD
08-28-2005, 07:24 PM
just because you are a foreigner doesnt mean that you arent in the same boat that alot of poker players are in. im an american myself but have no college education. if i fail at poker or it dries up i have no satisfactory job options unless i want to make $15/hr. i feel extremely confident in my abilities to provide a living for myself even if somehow poker dropped off the face of the planet. however, i do realize that poker is a poor long-term plan, at least for myself. my recommendation to you is to spend your time learning about how to create profitable passive income. if youre like me in that you likely wont have opportunities to make 100k/yr from working a job, this is our only option, albeit a really, really good one.

valenzuela
08-28-2005, 07:26 PM
same situation around here..Im from Chile, where are u from??
EDIT: I only beat the 22s, but its enough to make a confortable living.

TimM
08-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Another alternative is to start a business. In the U.S., it's pretty easy. I don't know the situation in the OP's country.

stigmata
08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes, working your ass off at poker for a few years, and then moving the money into some sort of other business venture is a reasonable option for any intelligent person.

08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
go to school, get an education..

you could invest that money in mutual funds.. its enough that you should get nice profits.. 50k.. woww

Myst
08-28-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
same situation around here..Im from Chile, where are u from??
EDIT: I only beat the 22s, but its enough to make a confortable living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wont you move out of your parents house and then you tell me what a comfortable living is...

08-29-2005, 06:18 AM
I'm from the eastern europe.

pofi
08-29-2005, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm from the eastern europe.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm from Eastern Europe too. I'm from Ukraine. Have such problems as you have. But in our country at legal job you can get even less. What country you are from?

08-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Im from Lithuania. One off-topic question, I see alot players from Odessa(ukrain) with nicks like odessa013 odessa1 on pokerstars, what's up with that? Also all these guys seem to play horrible in high stakes games and write perfect english /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pofi
08-29-2005, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im from Lithuania. One off-topic question, I see alot players from Odessa(ukrain) with nicks like odessa013 odessa1 on pokerstars, what's up with that? Also all these guys seem to play horrible in high stakes games and write perfect english /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know about that)))As I understand some rich people wanna to gamble. What about taxes on poker at your country?

pofi
08-29-2005, 07:41 AM
For info at our country students get something like $50 a month and everage income is something like $200. More aducated
and succesuful people can reach something like $700 a month... if you can compare it with online poker- it will be BBBIIIGGG difference.

08-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Yeah im not sure how accurate my numbers were(except my parents) because I have lived my whole in what could be called upper middleclass or whatever - still long live onliner poker /images/graemlins/wink.gif

kiddo
08-29-2005, 08:00 AM
You dont tell your parents you are rich by playing poker?

You have to do it.

They will not understand and think you can lose it all over a weekend. And you will show them your $50K and say that is money u never ever will use for poker (which isnt true I guess if u have a real bad downswing). When months goes by they will slowly accept that you dont go broke. Thats the way it is for most parents (Im from Sweden).

I told my parents 3 years ago I made money at poker. They told me to stop as soon as I stopped being so lucky /images/graemlins/smile.gif and I said that I am prepared to sit down and do the math and show them that I cant lose all this money again, that I really am beating this game. We never did the math - and it wouldnt have mattered - and they still think I am lucky, but after 2 years seeing me never go broke and seeing a lot about poker in the papers and on tv they slowly accepts that I really make money that will never go away and of course they like it in a way because all parents want their children to have a good life.

bkholdem
08-29-2005, 08:30 AM
You are sitting on a gold mine. Why the hell are you wasting your time typing messages on an internet message board? How many hours a day you spend picking up little pieces of gold is up to you.

xniNja
08-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Agreed.

What is your question exactly? Sounds to me you're doing what only a small percentage of people in your country can do, make a good living. If you've got 50K & a 20K bankroll, make as much money as possible to secure financial security forever.

On the other hand, you haven't told us what game/limit/site you've made this $70K - and if this is more of a fantasy than reality, even if you've made the $50K, it may not be sustainable, and if you haven't - it's not so easy.

pofi
08-29-2005, 09:45 AM
It's reality I think if he play high limits.Something like NL2000 at party. Best advice will be to invest that money to increase passive income. That way he will have insuranse if online poker will not be so good as it is now. Something like real estate will be good I think.

08-31-2005, 05:01 AM
How you thought about moving to some other country? I'm kinda tempted to move to scandinavia(Sweden or Finland) if I continue running good. Those countries are so much secure many ways.

RydenStoompala
08-31-2005, 09:09 AM
You'll love Finland. Very cheerful folks. I think they hide the rope every springtime to cut down on suicides. You can hang out in the sauna (saw-Ooon-ah) with a cute Finish girl and eat herring. Then, one day, you'll wake up, realize you're not Finish, realize you haven't seen more than an hour's daylight in three months, and you'll kill yourself.

Sciolist
08-31-2005, 10:05 AM
The Ukraine00x players are from a net cafe in Odessa. It's one account name per PC - I don't know if it's the same person playing exclusively on one acconut though. We've reviewed them a few times for collusion, nothing found

bkholdem
08-31-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll love Finland. Very cheerful folks. I think they hide the rope every springtime to cut down on suicides. You can hang out in the sauna (saw-Ooon-ah) with a cute Finish girl and eat herring. Then, one day, you'll wake up, realize you're not Finish, realize you haven't seen more than an hour's daylight in three months, and you'll kill yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't the girls in Finland tight ass biotches who are pretty non social compared to many other countries? Maybe I have it wrong but I knew a player of high social in Finland.

Sciolist
08-31-2005, 11:59 AM
I realise this is a bit of a tangent, but if I get fired tomorrow (for getting in a flame war with GrannyMae and sundering our reputation, say), I'm moving and playing poker for a living again.

I like the look of somewhere like Estonia, or Costa Rica, or India, or parts of Asia... If I can reliably win ~$50ph, I'm never going to become a millionaire in the UK. Yet in those countries, it's not a thousand miles away from being able to live like one off $1-$2k a week.

My aim would likely be to invest in property in that country, particularly if it was an Eastern European one, and particularly if it's a member of the EU like Estonia. Surefire long term growth, and cuts down on expenses.

08-31-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This annoys me very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it. I have a 5-year professionally-accredited degree, with 3 years experience in my field and I earn $33.5K/year (in one of the most populated cities in the country).

Do you know how many idiots earn more money than this? A lot. That annoys me.

I've come to know poker as the "Equalizer"

Idiots go to work all day and play solitaire and earn a pantload of money, then come home and dump it off to smart people online.

James Woods is a prime example of an over-pair moron who dumps his money off to smarter people.

I'd love to sit at a table full of doctors, car salesman, business majors, etc. and take all of their money.

08-31-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, working your ass off at poker for a few years, and then moving the money into some sort of other business venture is a reasonable option for any intelligent person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do this? Most businesses fail, and you also are opening yourself up to lawsuits galore. Poker is free of lawsuits and you already know you are successful. I say keep playin cards until it dries up.