PDA

View Full Version : Folding JJ preflop on button, is this ever right??

RiverTheNuts
08-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Im at a very tight, very passive 2/4 game, MP1 raises, MP3 3 bets, im on the button with JJ, does anyone EVER fold here?

damaniac
08-28-2005, 03:01 PM
If the players in question aren't raising anything other than JJ-AA, AK, (esp the 3-bettor), then it's probably ok, because in addition to being behind almost always, you aren't going to earn a ton if you hit your set because they are tight passive. Still, I'd be reluctant to fold unless I was pretty sure the players in questions were total rocks, and not just the table itself being tight.

RiverTheNuts
08-28-2005, 03:03 PM
I didnt know what was acceptable here... I thought til my timer almost ran out, capped, hit a set, raised a QJx flop, and got called down from there on by AA and KK..

I didnt know if folding JJ preflop in a limit game was a mortal sin or something...

I think the value here is thin, and the variance high, and seeing as Im playing with a small BR in the first place, in future situations like this I will probably fold to a rockish table

DrewOnTilt
08-28-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt know what was acceptable here... I thought til my timer almost ran out, capped, hit a set, raised a QJx flop, and got called down from there on by AA and KK..

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on player reads and pot size. I will be honest and say that I have never had the opportunity to fold JJ to a raise and a reraise without at least 1 or 2 other callers in the pot. However, I have read on these boards before that a good line is to muck it against a raise and a reraise from 2 tight players if the 2 rocks are the only players in the pot, or to play it for set value if there are 1-2 other callers.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the value here is thin, and the variance high, and seeing as Im playing with a small BR in the first place, in future situations like this I will probably fold to a rockish table

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack your thread, but you should NOT be playing with a bankroll so small that it affects your decisions on individual hands. To me, that sounds like "scared money."

jstewsmole
08-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Do u have any individua l reads on MP1 and MP3? Like there PFR%? Id make my decision based on that. I wouldnt fold in this situation, personally. I see jacks and im like [censored] yeah. If there PFR% is really low i would consider folding. Otherwise i stay for the flop.

If the players that are in,are weak post flop then it should give u more incentive to stick around.

08-28-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im at a very tight, very passive 2/4 game, MP1 raises, MP3 3 bets, im on the button with JJ, does anyone EVER fold here?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very easy fold for me. In this situation you should be playing with QQ and above and AKs, fold everything else. But if you think that even one of these raisers could be weak, than you can open up a little more. But with no reads you should fold here.

brazilio
08-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I fold this looking at three from tight passives.

MyTurn2Raise
08-28-2005, 07:57 PM
I fold and look forward to patting myself on the back at showdown.

gh9801
08-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Against typical 2/4 players... three bettor could easily have AQ, AK, TT, JJ - and will have these hands more often than AA, KK, or QQ.

First raiser you are beating most of the time.

So... don't fold if they're typical, but if passive do so

W. Deranged
08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Find a better table.

I think it's fine to fold against players like you describe.

But, I think there's an important lesson here:

If you are playing at a small stakes table where you can't play JJ for three-bets profitably, you should probably find a better table.

If the players are loose passive and you are folding because they all play 40% of hands but only raise 1%, that's one thing, but if it is really a total rock garden I'd be looking for a new location.

Michael Davis
08-28-2005, 08:35 PM
I muck jacks to three cold preflop every time unless at least one of the players is a maniac and another one somewhat intelligent.

-Michael

Hoi Polloi
08-28-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt know if folding JJ preflop in a limit game was a mortal sin or something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Until gambling becomes a mortal sin, bad gambling will be safe.

Playing above your role making you weak-tight is not a sin, but it maybe mortal.

QTip
08-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I hear what you're saying, but I will add that weak/tight games have always been some of the most profitable tables for me.