PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a 'roll-builder

vexvelour
08-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Maybe you guys can help me with this. I have a small bankroll right now for my online account. I planned in advance from reading numerous posts to start in micro NL, and work my way up to the larger games.

For my very first online game, I decided to go to a .25/.50 NL table, feeling confident I could do well. I doubled my entire poker buy in over maybe 60 hands. This seemed odd to me, and I thought maybe I was pushing my luck a bit. I decided perhaps I should move down in limits until I was confortable with the maximum .25/.50 NL buy in. Since then I've been playing .05/.10 and .10/.20 (NL) because I feel more comfortable with the max buy in with my bankroll. I cannot win significantly at those tables though. I don't know if it's the players, if it's because of the cards they play, or what. I'm tempted to take my money back to the (slightly) bigger tables, but am unsure if this would be disatrous. I have since given up on building my bankroll through cash games and have only been playing STTs, but I miss cash games.

Anyone have advice?

Poldi
08-28-2005, 02:40 PM
If you cant beat the lower limits right now, its certainly not the players. Dont move up then!
If you doubled your buyin in 60 hands, you played WAY too high for your roll. You should feel lucky and decide to never ever do this mistake again!

Jorge10
08-28-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you cant beat the lower limits right now, its certainly not the players. Dont move up then!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty much it, if you cant beat the low stakes you cant beat the higher stakes regardless of how lucky you got that one time.

Also you dont seem to be playing much, 60 hands, you call that a session? Play 300-500 .15-.25 nl hands and then you can call it a session. Sounds like you want money too fast, its not sit and gos, cash games are usually a lot slower than sit and gos, but a lot more profitable and the money is more constant than sit and gos. You have to give lower stakes a chance, its not going to happen that fast.

08-28-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you doubled your buyin in 60 hands, you played WAY too high for your roll. You should feel lucky and decide to never ever do this mistake again!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree with this. 60 hands to double a bankroll, no matter how good you are, is incredibly lucky. I've considered myself at least a competant poker player for a couple years but only very recently have I begun to consider myself a competant bankroll manager. NEVER find yourself at a table where you can double your bankroll in 60 hands, because with an equally bad run of cards you can lose your entire bankroll in 60 hands. My advice is if you're not sure if you're a good player, stick to the low low limits and learn. If you think you're a good player, pony up some extra bucks and hit some larger stakes tables.

I've recently started playing by the rule that if I don't have 12 buyins I will never sit at a table, and if I don't have 24 buy ins I will never make it my normal game. With a bankroll of 2K right now I play mostly $50 NL while occassionally sitting at $100 NL when the game smells fishy to me. My guess is that you started with less than $100 and sat at $50 NL. Consider yourself lucky and learn from that mistake.

Tuben
08-28-2005, 05:41 PM
I play pretty small sesion 50/100 hands.
And i dont think it is a bad ide.
Beacuse i make mistakes if i play longer . I do it somtimes if i am killing it.

But some small sessions a day is right for me at this time.
And i hate to win mabe triple or dubble my buyin and then loose it, i rather quit for that session if i dont think i can maintain my focus. And take a small break and then play one session agin /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Too forget that i won..
The same if i get some bad beats i quit instant for that sesion so i can forget it. And move on.

Goodnews
08-28-2005, 09:28 PM
at least you know to quit before you go apeshit, unlike many in this forum.

Dave H.
08-29-2005, 11:28 AM
You were extremely lucky to have done what you did in so short a time frame.

...And you are EXTREMELY intelligent to have wondered about it, to have moved down to lower limits on your own, and to be asking the question you're asking. You are to be applauded more for that than you are for your win!

So, now that you have asked the question, please be just as intelligent and take the advice you've been given. Stay at the lower limits until you can beat those players handily. You will NOT be sorry you did so. And you, unlike many others who experienced the kind of luck you experienced, will still be playing a year from now!

Good luck...

4_2_it
08-29-2005, 01:43 PM
I won't add anything, except my endorsement, to the advice previously given on managing your bankroll.

However, if you want to crush the lower limits, I suggest SSNL forum. Post a couple of hands that you think you played well and see what the 'experts' think. Ditto for hands you think you played poorly. I don't post hands (no converter at work /images/graemlins/smile.gif ), but find the hands posted to be educational.

Good luck,

4_2

revots33
08-29-2005, 01:56 PM
I think, considering the size of your bankroll, you should try some bonus-whoring to help build up the bankroll quicker.

vexvelour
08-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice. As much as I didn't want to hear what I was told, I will continue on my trek through the crap limits.

Bonus whoring- wtf?

4_2_it
08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bonus whoring- wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the banner ad at the top of this site /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, you should sign up rackback.

Dave H.
08-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Absolutely sign up for rakeback. If you want to PM me, I can tell you who I work with...you don't want to miss that opportunity, believe me!

Good Luck!

vexvelour
08-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Oh, and by the way:

[ QUOTE ]
Also you dont seem to be playing much, 60 hands, you call that a session?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't..but when I double up in under an hour my very first time playing online, I get a little weirded out. I figured I wouldn't push my luck.