PDA

View Full Version : Another $2-$2 limit hand

trigeek08
08-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Same situation as before, loose-passive game with a bunch of gambling addicts.

Hero is co with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Everyone limps in for $2, 9 handed.

Flop K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB bets, 3calls, 3 folds, Hero raises, 5 calls.

Turn T/images/graemlins/club.gif
4 checks, hero checks, button checks.

River 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
4 checks, hero checks, button checks.

I had seen many many times where people in this game would check/call all the way down with nut-flushes/straights/boats/you-name-it. When it was checked to me on the river, I thought about value betting it, but I couldn't see somone fold a hand like a small straight, and I had seen people fold hands like small two-pair. Should I be making this bet on the river?

graarrg
08-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Honestly, at this point, I would really imagine someone sitting on a 67... especially a loose-passive calling station (like an old lady).. BUT, because there is no low on the board, you're scooping this pot. Also, if you're caught checking something like top set, you're not scoring positive image points with "the gambling addicts." I have been openly criticized at Omaha tables because in marginal situations I made the careful play. Not that I care, but it just goes to show how your opponents will percieve you, especially at these low limti games. I'd be a little reckless here. I'd bet, and if someone turns over a shitter jack-7 or whatever, I can look at the other guys and be like "Yup, look at that, bad beat" and they'll all nod in sympathy.

BTW, Which dog track do you play at? I've been looking for someone, uh, interested in the game to compare notes with about the Straight $2 games (both HE and O8).

Buzz
08-29-2005, 01:33 PM
trigeek08 - In my humble opinion, you should bet the turn after four checks.

The reason is twofold.
(1) Nobody may have a straight yet, but might make something on the river, a flush, a straight, trip aces, quads, whatever, that might beat you. You want that person out of the hand. You're risking one big bet to win the whole pot by very possibly knocking out an opponent who might out-draw you on the river.
(2) There's a very decent chance that even if somebody does have a straight, you'll make a boat on the river. If all these opponents call, you're getting favorable odds to initiate fresh money into the pot. If even only two of them call, and then will presumably also call a bet from you on the river if the board pairs, you're getting favorable implied odds to initiate fresh money into the pot.

On the river, when you don't make your draw (the board doesn't pair) and you feel that nobody would fold a low-end straight or better, then the check is fine.

Your mistake, if any, is on the turn. You don't want to get check-riased on the turn, but it's not a disaster if you do. However, not knocking somebody out on the turn who has a lower set and might make quads, or who has a baby flush draw and might make a flush, or who has a bottom end straight and might fold to a bet is a disaster.

Bet the turn.

Just my opinion.

Buzz