PDA

View Full Version : A whole lot of checking going on

Tommy Angelo
04-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Three hands. $15-30. I've kinda been on my game lately and it feels mighty fine.

Hand one: I have AK suited on the button. Cutoff openraises. I make it three bets. The big blind makes it four bets. Cutoff calls. I cap it at five. Both call. Threeway.

Flop: K-Q-J rainbow, none of my suit.

Flop betting: all check.

Turn: pairs the jack.

Turn betting: all check.

River: blank.

River betting: all check. Big blind turns over pocket queens for queens full.

Hand two. I have KQ offsuit on the button. Cutoff openraises. I make it three bets. The big blind calls and the cutoff calls. Threeway.

Flop: 10-8-2 rainbow.

All check.

Turn: pairs the ten

All check.

River: blank

All check. Big blind turns over AK suited. Cutoff shows pocket threes and wins.

Hand three:

I have KQ offsuit on the button. I openraise and both blinds call. Flop comes 8-5-4. All check. Turn is a seven. All check. River is a king. SB checks. BB bets. I fold and the small blind folds and the BB waves a six at me and says something about slippery.

Tommy

Rick Nebiolo
04-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Tommy,

My understanding is you don't like to see partial hands posted but had you posted any of these hands in partial format (i.e., action up to the flop/turn/river - your play? - results later!) I don't think the preponderance of posters on this forum would favor checks (Mason might be an exception ;-) ).

Also, consider my email offer /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

~ Rick

Ulysses
04-11-2003, 02:51 PM
OK.... Let's see here.

Hand 1: That one must have felt great. It seems like very few possible hands that you beat (AQ, KT maybe) might even possibly call if you bet, so I think check, check, check is fine here.

Hand 2: Easy check, me thinks.

Hand 3: I think that was either a really good read or a really weak fold. Was it just the fact that BB bets into PFR when a King hit that made you fold or something more than that? Lacking any further information and just going by the action, I'd think you have the winner more than 1 in 4 times here. Had it been checked to you, would you have checked behind or bet?

elysium
04-11-2003, 07:13 PM
hi tommy
hand 1) wow tommy, i've never seen this before. so that's how to handle it? wow. tommy i will never forget this. that is exactly how to play hand 1.
hand 2) well, i don't know about this one. tommy i think you must bet the flop and turn. i'm pretty sure the BB will drop with a flop bet since he knows that you know he missed.
i think you must bet the flop and turn.
hand 3) i don't know tommy. it looks like a bet on the flop and turn. i assume you must have shown down a couple no pair winners in this game and may think they'll call. i guess it's just timing on this one. with you tommy, there is a good reason, and i ain'ta challengin.

Tommy Angelo
04-12-2003, 11:23 AM
"Hand 3: I think that was either a really good read or a really weak fold."

Good point. It could have been a terrible but lucky fold.

"I'd think you have the winner more than 1 in 4 times here."

If I had been last to act, I probably would have called. One of the reasons I folded was that the small blind gave the big blind perfect protection. I had no indication as to what the small blind was planning to do, and that, in itself, was an indication that he might have one pair beat. This was not the only reason I folded, but it did weigh in there somewhere.

"Had it been checked to you, would you have checked behind or bet?"

I would have bet.

Tommy

Bubmack
04-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Tommy,

It seems all in all - that the plays were pretty weak-tight. Especially not betting AK on the flop and turn in hand 1 and not calling the pair of kings in hand 3. Your non-calls and checks worked here, but would usually be giving drawing hands some very nice free cards and I imagine that aggressive players target you as an easy fold.

Bubs

ACPlayer
04-12-2003, 02:36 PM
i was getting ready to move to the action games of CA. Now is see this ....