PDA

View Full Version : AK hand

Boris
04-11-2003, 01:43 PM
We're down to the last 5 people in a limit hold'em tourny.

There are 3 big stacks and the myself with enough chips for 3 more rounds of blinds at this level. The guy on my immediate left has enough chips for the big blind and the little blind.

UTG (big stack) open raises. I look down and see AKo. I fold.
Was this the right play? I don't think I've ever folded AK for one raise in my life.

ohkanada
04-11-2003, 02:21 PM
So you have about 5xBB.

Maybe we are missing something. Do they only pay 4? Is that why you would fold? Are you in 4th? How big are the larger stacks? How do the payouts change from 1st to 4th?

I would normally re-raise. If you are in 4th and the top 3 stacks are way out of reach then I might just call and see a flop. I can't see folding unless this is a supersatelite.

Ken Poklitar

Boris
04-11-2003, 03:18 PM
My point is that I will very likely have to commit all of my chips if I decide to play the hand. My chances of winning are probably round 60% (off the cuff guess) if we assume that UTG raiser has a pair, AK or AQ. If I just fold then there is a very good possibility that I will move up one spot in the payout ladder by doing nothing at all.

On the other hand I have a decent shot at doubling my stack and then I would be in decent postition to win the whole damn thing.

Rich P.
04-11-2003, 03:42 PM
You should have taken a chance here. The UTG could be bluffing or have a lesser hand than yours. Your hand is a powerhouse short-handed,and five players is short handed. You can't afford to just dwindle away your chips. If you want to take a shot at winning, take it now.

sdplayerb
04-11-2003, 03:44 PM
"if we assume that UTG raiser has a pair, AK or AQ"

why do you assume his hand is that good? Is that all you could raise with UTG 5 handed?
5 handed most people open up a lot. I'd raise with most As, strong Ks to start.
If the field is tight, I raise with even more than that.

5 handed, with AK I am reraising and want to get all in. I'd say you are closer to having a 65-70% chance of winning.

cferejohn
04-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Unless there is a big money difference between 4th and 5th, call or raise. If the flop hits you, get all your money in there. If not, fold and wait for the short stack to go out. If you don't take a chance now, it seems like your chances of a top 3 finish are close to nil, and even if you call and fol the flop, you still have a bigger stack than the guy to your left.

cferejohn
04-11-2003, 04:05 PM
I absolutely agree with sd. Unless UTG is super super tight, I don't see a reason to assume his hand is anywhere near that good. In fact, you dominate most of the hands he would probably raise with (most As, Ax where x is 9 or better, KQs).

Your read can come into play here, but unless there is a really weird payout structure, I can't see not calling or raising here.

Given that the stack to your left is so small, I don't think calling 'obligates you to see the hand through', since you can fold on the flop and still have a bigger stack.

ohkanada
04-11-2003, 04:22 PM
If you are trying to win, then raising is the play. If you are trying to get 4th, then folding or calling is the play. Without the stack sizes and payouts it is hard to say if it is worth just going for 4th.

Being that you are in 4th, you need to decide if you can move up to 3rd or higher. If all the stacks are so large that it would take several double ups then folding seems reasonable. If you need one or two double ups then just calling and folding if you miss might be fine. If you do hit then you obviously play until your chips are in the middle.

If you are 5 handed and UTG (with a big stack) would only raise with AK/AQ or a pair, then you have a poor UTG player.

Ken Poklitar

philnewall
04-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Either re-raise all in or fold if it is vital to move up one place. Calling should not be an option imo.

Ignatius
04-13-2003, 05:00 AM
UTG (big stack) open raises. I look down and see AKo.
What a perfect situation! As UTG's most likely hand is a lesser ace, you could easily be a 3:1 favorite here and unless he happens to have AA or KK (very unlikely), you are at worst even money. Moreover, your small stack will allow you to make both of you pot-stuck preflop, so you're going to see all 5 cards and will get full value for your big slick. And, as a bonus, you will most likely get extra dead-money from the blinds. Reraise and move the rest in ASAP, regardless of the flop.
I fold.
??? no comment ...

Ignatius
04-13-2003, 05:20 AM
we assume that UTG raiser has a pair, AK or AQ.
This is 5-handed and UTG is the chip leader, so he would open raise here with a lot of hands. A9+, 88+ and most two face seem much more realistic here (and even that is rather on the tight side). But even if you're "only" a 6:4 favorite, considering that there will also be dead money in the pot, you're getting a huge overlay here and should go for it.