PDA

View Full Version : I think it is time to take a little break from sngs

FieryJustice
08-28-2005, 02:58 AM
Well, after having a small losing 1000 game set of $215s and a 500 game set of 109s with only a small gain, I think it is time for me to take a little break from the sngs. I "think" I am going to learn to play limit, or at least play it for about a week or so to see how I like it. Right now, sngs just seem like such a grain. Maybe it is the bad run of cards or maybe it simply isnt taking any time off. I almost feel as if I am on some kind of "life tilt" where nothing seems to have a point. Hopefully I can figure out how to make this change. I have no clue why I even posted this. I guess I just needed to ramble.

That all being said, anyone know where to direct me to learn some good limit skills? Any direction would be greatly appreciated. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The4Aces
08-28-2005, 03:10 AM
small stakes holdem

johnnybeef
08-28-2005, 03:13 AM
I hit a 1000 game break even stretch at the 55s and was miserable the entire time. Take a vacation from poker entirely. I know you are not much of a partier, but go out of town somewhere. Your br will thank you for it. As far as limit goes, you obviously know that experiene is the best teacher, but, I learned most of what I know from SSH.

Beefcake

FieryJustice
08-28-2005, 03:14 AM
Yeah...i've read all the 2+2 books on limit. I am rpetty sure I know what I am doing. i was up $1000 in 15/30 today after 1000 hands, so that was nice. Hopefully the trend will continue.

Degen
08-28-2005, 03:30 AM
bro with this+the college post...i think you need to take a break from poker, seriously

i assume you have a massive stash of cash some place, go travel for a month...5k can last you well over a month in Europe, do 2 months if you can. go nail some hot spanish chics, party in clubs with 30,000 people in Ibiza, check out some architecture and cathedrals, live some life bro!!

There is a helluva lot more to life than poker.

Maulik
08-28-2005, 03:33 AM
a) what Degen said
b) play another form of poker its the best thing I've done for myself recently and couldn't be happier about it.

08-28-2005, 03:36 AM
i played with you a couple times on PP 215. you seem to be a solid player. so i dont understand how you could lose money over 1000 215 sng. must be extremely bad luck. if you think SNG is boring then i think limit poker would be even more boring for you.

morgan180
08-28-2005, 03:59 AM
Changing it up is a good idea - i get burnt out on the SNGs too - after way fewer games mind you - and i think that most of us on here feel that way at one time or another. i myself switch between SNGs multi-tabling small stakes limit or throw in a pot limit omaha tourney here and there to mix it up. I always come back to the SNGs but it feels good to change it up. good luck.

barycentric
08-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Do you ever do table selection at 109/215? I make a point of never playing at a table at which you sit down. My results at 109s improved a lot after I started avoiding the good players.

citanul
08-28-2005, 10:20 AM
i don't mean to sound like a dick, but extending from what degen said, i think this is just about the worst possible time for you to decide to drop out of school, since you're admittedly on life tilt.

then again, whatever.

if you are taking a break from sngs, and from school, i'd suggest not playing any poker for say, a month, maybe more.

you're young and wealthy, pack a small suitcase (or don't) buy a one way plane ticket, and get going. (the idea is to buy other clothes and one way plane tickets as they become necessary.) live a little. don't play poker.

citanul

08-28-2005, 11:12 AM
As much as I tried to talk you into staying in school, I think the suggestion to travel is a very good one. Travel out of this country, for at least a month. Do a lot of reading, and I don't mean easy stuff, I mean "great books." Don't touch poker. Don't think about school. Just be, and ponder. Enjoy.

Myst
08-28-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't mean to sound like a dick, but extending from what degen said, i think this is just about the worst possible time for you to decide to drop out of school, since you're admittedly on life tilt.

then again, whatever.

if you are taking a break from sngs, and from school, i'd suggest not playing any poker for say, a month, maybe more.

you're young and wealthy, pack a small suitcase (or don't) buy a one way plane ticket, and get going. (the idea is to buy other clothes and one way plane tickets as they become necessary.) live a little. don't play poker.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I agree with the most part with what citanul has to say, but I think you need to start evaluating what you want to do with your life. Not just occupation-wise, i.e. poker, but what you DREAM you want to be. I know you must have dreams outside of the poker arena. Why not take the time, now that you have your financial situation settled, to achieve them?

citanul
08-28-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to start evaluating what you want to do with your life. Not just occupation-wise, i.e. poker, but what you DREAM you want to be. I know you must have dreams outside of the poker arena. Why not take the time, now that you have your financial situation settled, to achieve them?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice. I think that either this sort of happens when you're taking the time off, or you should set aside some extra time off after your first round of time off just for doing this.

There's something to be said for taking a good considerable chunk of time to just sort of cleanse your mind/body/spirit and not purposefully think about other stuff.

citanul

Myst
08-28-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to start evaluating what you want to do with your life. Not just occupation-wise, i.e. poker, but what you DREAM you want to be. I know you must have dreams outside of the poker arena. Why not take the time, now that you have your financial situation settled, to achieve them?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice. I think that either this sort of happens when you're taking the time off, or you should set aside some extra time off after your first round of time off just for doing this.

There's something to be said for taking a good considerable chunk of time to just sort of cleanse your mind/body/spirit and not purposefully think about other stuff.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Citanul, can we have sex now? I have a raging bulge in my pants just for you.

citanul
08-28-2005, 11:57 AM
that would require me to go somewhere close to Rhode Island, right?

nah, i don't think so.

<--

like the new location?

citanul

Myst
08-28-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that would require me to go somewhere close to Rhode Island, right?

nah, i don't think so.

<--

like the new location?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwww. YOU TOOK AWAY MY ONLY REASON FOR BEING!!!!!

Lol, Im still in Miami Beach right now. Going back to school Wednesday.

raptor517
08-28-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i played with you a couple times on PP 215. you seem to be a solid player. so i dont understand how you could lose money over 1000 215 sng. must be extremely bad luck. if you think SNG is boring then i think limit poker would be even more boring for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

variance is a batch. ive broken even over 2 sets of 1k before. not fun. jcard listen to me for once. this will really help yer self esteem, if anything to make you love life again. 16 table the 22s = teh nuts. if that doesnt work and u get pwnd, then go to amsterdam and od on heroin. holla

Shilly
08-28-2005, 01:39 PM
I don't have much to offer in terms of life advice, but I do have something to say about switching to limit.

If you're 21 (which I get the impression that you might not be?) I'd spend some time playing limit live. Playing online with slowly wear you down, just like playing thousands of SNGs did. It'll get you out of the house, and give you a little more entertainment than clicking a mouse.

Isura
08-28-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
small stakes holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is not a great idea.

You obviously have a decent roll. Start with 5/10 6-max at a minimum, and you'll have a lot of fun playing with the lags at 10/20 6-max.

citanul
08-28-2005, 01:54 PM
small stakes holdem is a book. a very good book, for beating limits that go higher than "low" limits, and encompass those that are mentioned in your post.

citanul

Isura
08-28-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
small stakes holdem is a book. a very good book, for beating limits that go higher than "low" limits, and encompass those that are mentioned in your post.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. yes, I have read the book many times. Although it doesn't apply that well to games like 10/20 6 max.

Chaostracize
08-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Don't give him any ideas, he might actually do it.

citanul
08-28-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. yes, I have read the book many times. Although it doesn't apply that well to games like 10/20 6 max.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's possible that the starting hand requirements don't. the argument that the theory and discussion in that book is irrelevant to 10/20 6max is a bad one though. for 10/20 6max the things i'd recommend are, in no order:

1) hepfap
2) sshe
3) top
4) playing a lot of 5/10 6max and 10/20 6max
5) reading the hush forum

citanul

fnord_too
08-28-2005, 04:30 PM
#1 book should be Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker for shorthanded IMO, though just skipping to the HUSH forum is fine, too.

08-28-2005, 04:52 PM
my best advice is to stay fresh. i just took 3+ months off after a down session. when i returned, i started with the 22s, 33s, 55s, to see how the break did for me. i played so much better, and was itm over .50 for quite awhile. now i'm consistently doing well at the 215s. playing too much leads to making bad decisions. i started with limit hold-em and i find nl so much more enjoyable. maybe your experience will be different.

citanul
08-28-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#1 book should be Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker for shorthanded IMO, though just skipping to the HUSH forum is fine, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've... never heard of that book?! (Do I dare ask for an amazon link, or should I just [censored] google it?) Amazon wish list here I come.

citanul

Isura
08-28-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've... never heard of that book?! (Do I dare ask for an amazon link, or should I just [censored] google it?) Amazon wish list here I come.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

New book by King Yao (he posts here).